Hole in One

Started by Stephen Calhoun at Oct 04, 2020 8:37 AM
29 Posts

Stephen Calhoun

Assistant District Attorney
?Years Young
13 Posts

"Y'all have to excuse my Southern accent, Mam. I hail from New York."

"I'm not near what I used to be, but that will provide you with a chance to win."

“Well, my handicap’s pretty high now, so that’ll level things out.” Pointed out the lawyer, enthused that Greyson hadn’t given him a flat ‘no’. “You can drop your handicap if you’ve not played in a while. I’ve joined that new Black Cat Golf Club out by North Beach. And get this, they allow women members and guests: you could bring your girlfriend and I’m pretty sure I could rustle up a partner.” He beamed. He’d steered clear of the word ‘date’. It’d been a while now since his fiancé had called it quits with him, but he still felt a little tender in the region of the heart.

Calhoun snickered to himself: Grey was so consumed and distracted with this whole Janos thing that he hadn’t noticed that he was referring to his lady doctor associate as his ‘girlfriend’.

"So, maybe next Saturday, or..." but Steele was off on one about the murders again.

"So Baxter it is, and your help with a meeting is most appreciated. I'm afraid that a professional opinion is what I need because I can tell you that I thoroughly dislike and distrust the man." He leaned forward, "In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't up to his eyeballs in the bloodless corpses!"

Calhoun was fed up of this gory subject and turned to more positive thoughts.

“So, last time I saw you, you were looking at moving to a bigger place, little more upmarket. Anything ever happen with that, or just a pipe dream?” he asked.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

"Oh, yes, well, I've acquired a place over on Nightingale Lane, it was owned by, well, Doctor Nightingale. I have my own offices and surgeries there. Quite comfortable. I mean, well, the place is almost beyond belief, the house of course and a complete medical facility in back, two blocks from the Ocean. Just a fantastic place!" He explained.

"And as I am now the ship's Doctor aboard the SS Chanteuse, with my partner, Doctor Maude Tillery, weekends can be taken up with cruises. But as a job, I would suppose it doesn't get any better than that. Off to Cuba or perhaps the Bahamas and really having very little to do. Seasick pills I suppose, or headache powders at most, but still, there could be a medical emergency. One would hope not, but it is possible. So I can't commit to anything until I refer to the ship's schedule. But we should get together, and soon."

Stephen Calhoun

?Years Young
13 Posts

"Oh, yes, well, I've acquired a place over on Nightingale Lane, it was owned by, well, Doctor Nightingale.”

“He must’ve been quite the feller, to have a whole street named after him!” mused Steve “Maybe they should rename now you’re there: Steele Avenue, or Greyson Way … or Moose Road.” Someone had once asked him why he called Greyson ‘Moose’: he could only reply that it had been Christmas 1911, they had both been blotto, and that there were two girls and an a decorative pair of mounted Antlers from an hotel wall involved: more than that none of them could remember.

“So, you’ve moved up there bag and baggage?” the law man queried. “Big place?”

“I have my own offices and surgeries there. Quite comfortable. I mean, well, the place is almost beyond belief, the house of course and a complete medical facility in back, two blocks from the Ocean. Just a fantastic place!" He explained.

“I gotta get over and see this place, sounds amazing!” beamed Steve, genuinely glad for his old college pal’s success. But there was more.

"And as I am now the ship's Doctor aboard the SS Chanteuse, with my partner, Doctor Maude Tillery, weekends can be taken up with cruises."

Calhoun's eyebrows raised involuntarily. Grey was chief doc' on the booze boat?!

"But as a job, I would suppose it doesn't get any better than that. Off to Cuba or perhaps the Bahamas and really having very little to do. Seasick pills I suppose, or headache powders at most, but still, there could be a medical emergency. One would hope not, but it is possible. So I can't commit to anything until I refer to the ship's schedule. But we should get together, and soon."

Steve laughed. “Well, that’s one place I need to be a little more careful about visiting with you. They serve alcohol outside of US waters, that’s their official line: but a dickybird tells me that really, when it comes to the ‘licker laws’, they sail pretty close to the wind! … Pun intended!”

He took a last drink of the foul tasting ‘medicinal wine’ and winced, but then a innocent smile played around his lips.

“Hmmm ‘Maude’ eh?” he teased, then held up a hand “Oh no, ‘no hanky panky’. You did say.”

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

“I gotta get over and see this place, sounds amazing!” beamed Steve, genuinely glad for his old college pal’s success. But there was more.

"And as I am now the ship's Doctor aboard the SS Chanteuse, with my partner, Doctor Maude Tillery, weekends can be taken up with cruises."

Calhoun's eyebrows raised involuntarily. Grey was chief doc' on the booze boat?!

"But as a job, I would suppose it doesn't get any better than that. Off to Cuba or perhaps the Bahamas and really having very little to do. Seasick pills I suppose, or headache powders at most, but still, there could be a medical emergency. One would hope not, but it is possible. So I can't commit to anything until I refer to the ship's schedule. But we should get together, and soon."

Steve laughed. “Well, that’s one place I need to be a little more careful about visiting with you. They serve alcohol outside of US waters, that’s their official line: but a dickybird tells me that really, when it comes to the ‘licker laws’, they sail pretty close to the wind! … Pun intended!”

He took a last drink of the foul tasting ‘medicinal wine’ and winced, but then a innocent smile played around his lips.

“Hmmm ‘Maude’ eh?” he teased, then held up a hand “Oh no, ‘no hanky panky’. You did say.”

“That is precisely what I said. I doubt that Maude has much time for anything but her patients and this situation with her sister. Frightful.” Greyson remarked. “Quite honestly, my intention is to build a solid medical practice with her. She is astute in every situation with the possible exception of her sister. But in that respect, she is concerned, though she doesn’t quite see Janos as I do, a threat to the young woman’s mental health.”

Greyson laughed, “Oh I know what you’re thinking in that regard, that it would be easy for me to take advantage of the woman, and yes, it certainly would be. But my interest is purely professional. She needed a chance to practice outside of being a staff physician, and I needed a partner, so the situation presented itself, and there we have it.”

They had a history, the two of them, from their fraternal college days. Crazy days, doing crazy things, but having fun with almost no holds barred. Those had been the days, but then Greyson thought, weren't those days in everyone's youth, the ones they looked back on with a smile, those wild times they had spent together when they believed nothing was out of reach and the future was theirs for the taking. Before the war changed all that.

Liked 1

Stephen Calhoun

?Years Young
13 Posts

Steve decided to stop teasing Grey about his lady doctor, he was obviously very serious about the lady’s professional qualifications and quite adamant about the lack of romantic possibilities in their workaday liaisons. Calhoun came to the one logical conclusion: great medical practitioner or not, this Maude Tillery character must be an ancient and probably ugly old battle-axe, the kind of woman who used to come to school when he was a lad and inspect the kids for nits.

He shuddered involuntarily. Best give the old fossil a wide berth if ever he had a chance to visit Grey at his palatial new clinic.

He looked at his wrist watch.

“Listen, I’d love to stay and chew the fat all day, but I’ve got a couple of big and extremely complex cases to prepare for – oh, and a journal paper to write – taxing even for my enormous brain!” he joked “I’ll call Baxter when I get back to the office and let him know you’re coming. If you drop by the main police station anytime before 10 in the morning he’ll be there. After that he goes out and, well, does whatever it is that detectives do! I’m always pretty careful not to ask him too closely about his methods.” Steve said jovially, but truthfully.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

Steve decided to stop teasing Grey about his lady doctor, he was obviously very serious about the lady’s professional qualifications and quite adamant about the lack of romantic possibilities in their workaday liaisons. Calhoun came to the one logical conclusion: great medical practitioner or not, this Maude Tillery character must be an ancient and probably ugly old battle-axe, the kind of woman who used to come to school when he was a lad and inspect the kids for nits.

He shuddered involuntarily. Best give the old fossil a wide berth if ever he had a chance to visit Grey at his palatial new clinic.

He looked at his wrist watch.

“Listen, I’d love to stay and chew the fat all day, but I’ve got a couple of big and extremely complex cases to prepare for – oh, and a journal paper to write – taxing even for my enormous brain!” he joked “I’ll call Baxter when I get back to the office and let him know you’re coming. If you drop by the main police station anytime before 10 in the morning he’ll be there. After that he goes out and, well, does whatever it is that detectives do! I’m always pretty careful not to ask him too closely about his methods.” Steve said jovially, but truthfully.

“Well, thanks, old pal. Seriously, I appreciate your help. I need to get this done, maybe move Maude’s sister or whatever and get back to normality, whatever that is.” Greyson replied with a smile as he got to his feet. "Golf is not out of the picture."

“In fact to double down, I'll see both of these fellows, the detective, and the reporter to glean as much information as I can in order to make the best decision possible. Good luck on those cases, though I doubt luck is what you’ll rely on.” He extended his hand for a shake before leaving.

Liked 1

Lt. Baxter

Police Detective
?Years Young
14 Posts

Baxter frowned at the stark black and white photographs. They had been taken at the morgue and though grim enough in themselves, they took him back to the even more grotesque experience of actually seeing, and smelling, the cadavers in the flesh. After many years in the force, a copper's nose got a little insensitive to things like that, but these were something else.

It had all been very intriguing, and he was more than a little annoyed when a lack of inter-force co-operation with the boys up North in County had more or less curtailed a proper investigation. If some pal of Calhoun's was interested for some reason, maybe the D.A.'s office would get interested too, and something could be done about it all. So he did not begrudge the time at all spent of meeting with this Doctor Steele who he had just been informed had arrived at the station.

He grabbed the file on the "Kosher Case", as the boys at the station had, with their usual gallows humor, taken to calling it, and went out to greet the man.

"I'm Baxter." he said simply, shaking the dapper looking medical man's hand and showing him into the interrogation room, which was simply the most convenient place to meet and look at the evidence on a large table. 

"This is where we grill the suspects!" he informed the doc "I suppose I'd better sit in the prisoner's chair today, though, seeing as you want to ask me a few questions." he joked gruffly.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

"I'm Baxter." he said simply, shaking the dapper looking medical man's hand and showing him into the interrogation room, which was simply the most convenient place to meet and look at the evidence on a large table.

"This is where we grill the suspects!" he informed the doc "I suppose I'd better sit in the prisoner's chair today, though, seeing as you want to ask me a few questions." he joked gruffly.

“One chair is as good as another, Detective Baxter. I don’t mean to take up your time, yet I am after information as to the character of Doctor Emile Janos of Pembrook Pines asylum.’ Greyson began. “There was some talk of bodies drained of blood and that one or both of the unfortunates may have worked at the asylum. So naturally, I wondered if either may have been linked to the place.”  

“Now, I fully understand that one supposedly was an inmate, former or current, and the one was a nurse from there as well, either present or past, but that you had some difficulties with, was it Dade County in your investigation?”

Liked 1

Lt. Baxter

Police Detective
?Years Young
14 Posts

“One chair is as good as another, Detective Baxter. I don’t mean to take up your time, yet I am after information as to the character of Doctor Emile Janos of Pembrook Pines asylum.’ Greyson began.

“You met him?” Baxter asked shortly “Queer kinda feller ain’t he? When you say ‘character’, you mean do we got anything on him?”

“There was some talk of bodies drained of blood and that one or both of the unfortunates may have worked at the asylum. So naturally, I wondered if either may have been linked to the place.”

“Here, take a look for yourself.” the Lieutenant said, pushing the brown folder over the table toward the seated doctor. “Morgue photographs and post-mortem reports on the poor kids are at the front.

Normally, showing somebody photographs of something like that, he’d make sure that there was a bucket nearby, but he figured that Steele being a physician, he would have a strong enough stomach not to need one.

“Now, I fully understand that one supposedly was an inmate, former or current, and the one was a nurse from there as well, either present or past, but that you had some difficulties with, was it Dade County in your investigation?”

“Dade are all right, Broward are the problem" Baxter clarified "Yeah, Janos showed us documents to prove that the first girl, Melissa Moore, had been discharged weeks before her body was found, and that the nurse, Gillian Roberts, had only worked there in a temporary post for a couple of weeks, oh, months before.”

He leant back in the interrogation chair and took a big puff of his black cigar.

“But documents can be forged, and we couldn’t take ‘em away to examine properly. No search warrant, see? I applied for one, but Janos has got friends in high places, if you know what I mean?” he said, pointing his cigar symbolically at the cracked ceiling of the room.

“It gets my goat! Your friend Mr Calhoun, too: he’s like me, dead down on the slightest whiff of police and court corruption. That said, it’s one thing an underpaid uniformed cop taking a backhander to ignore a speakeasy on his beat, quite another for higher ups to hinder a multiple murder investigation.” He said, with some fire in his voice.

“And listen, Doc. We got a saying for murders like this one: pattern murders, ‘Circuit Murders’ I calls ‘em. For every couple of bodies you find with the exact same peculiar method of slaying, there’s probably another ten out there that you haven’t found.” He gave his professional opinion. Southern Florida, with its swamps and Alligators, was certainly a great place for disposing of bodies.

Then something else struck him, and he had a question for Doctor.

“Say, when you were there, did you get a load of those crazy thick glasses he wears? This one inmate was about to spill something to me, I swear, when Janos whips out these goggles and puts ‘em on, and the nutjob clams up like a … well, he clammed up good, I can tell ya.” Baxter remembered.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

Then something else struck him, and he had a question for Doctor.

“Say, when you were there, did you get a load of those crazy thick glasses he wears? This one inmate was about to spill something to me, I swear, when Janos whips out these goggles and puts ‘em on, and the nutjob clams up like a … well, he clammed up good, I can tell ya.” Baxter remembered.

“Yes, yes, I did see them, oddest pair I believe I had ever seen. Thought nothing of them other than they were so odd, I thought perhaps he actually had terrible vision, but I also noted a change in Miss Simmons’ demeanor once he had put them on.” Greyson recalled. “Actually thought nothing of it at the time, but now that you mention it, you have me wondering about the effect they produce on the patient.”

Greyson remembered that Sarah Simmons had succumbed to whatever the doctor said or wanted. It was as if her will simply vanished at his verbalizations, and followed his instruction without question. A frightful proposition. “I believe there is a sinister aspect to this man’s dealings with his patients, I might go so far as to say they are in danger. What his motives are I would not hazard a guess at this point. Whether or not he could be involved in these tragic deaths I cannot say. But, I do believe there is far more to this than meets the eye.”