Hole in One

Started by Stephen Calhoun at Oct 04, 2020 8:37 AM
29 Posts

Stephen Calhoun

Assistant District Attorney
?Years Young
13 Posts

"Y'all have to excuse my Southern accent, Mam. I hail from New York."

“The state of Justice in the state of Florida.” By Stephen A. Douglas Calhoun, Asst. State Attorney for the State of Florida, Southern District.

As a successful alumnus of their Pritzker School of Law, North Western wanted him to write an article for their law journal on this, unfortunately, high profile issue.

Steve screwed up his fourth draft and threw it at the waste-paper bin, where it glanced the rim before bouncing off along the floor of his plushly carpeted office.

He summoned up all the powers of eloquence for which he was so noted, the loquacious mastery of the English language which made him such a powerful force to be reckoned with in the courtroom.

“Shit.”

The candlestick desk phone started to ring and, for some reason, he felt the need to straighten his tie before he picked it up.

“Shirley? I though I told you to hold my calls. Listen, this had better be the President, because … oh? Really? Sure, sure, put him through!” For once, a call from a friend, instead of work, work and more work.

“Grey!” he beamed “Sigma Chi, Sigma Chi, Rah Rah, Rah!” There were hand-movements that went along with this Fraternity greeting from their Varsity days, but as he was holding up the phone with two hands, he couldn’t indulge himself in these, right now.

“It’s great to hear from you, Grey, did you want to arrange that second round of golf? Listen, my handicap’s gone up since last our last game, so you probably won’t take such a dive this time.”

When he found out that his old chum Greyson Steele had moved to Miami, he had imagined the two of them would be chasing that little white pill around the greenery of the Black Cat Golf Club every weekend: but after that first game, they’d never quite got it together. They were both busy men, he explained it to himself. It would never have occurred to Calhoun that perhaps Steele might not actually like playing golf.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

The familiar voice, dragging him back to those days gone by at North Western. "Hello Steve. Great to hear your voice. How's tricks in that legal quagmire that's Miami?" It was not news that crime was a big problem, but then, with prohibition, it was everywhere across the country.

"Listen, is there a chance we could meet, maybe for coffee or a drink? A question or two I'd like to ask you. And no, I'm in no trouble, actually it's for a colleague of mine. My partner in our medical practice." He explained rather vaguely. "Be great to see you and rehash some of the old times and my rather dismal attempt at pasture pool as some call it."

He couldn't be suret that  Stephrn woud have any information on Doctor Janos, but there was always that chance, or, perhaps someone he knows may have information. And then again, this could be a bllind alley and he may need to contact one of his underworld contacts. But he was certain that there was something shrouded in darkness about the man and his asylum.

Liked 1

Stephen Calhoun

?Years Young
13 Posts

"Hello Steve. Great to hear your voice. How's tricks in that legal quagmire that's Miami?"

“Don’t ask!” sighed the swamped official “I should’a dropped law all those years ago and gone into something easy, like medicine.” he quipped.

"Listen, is there a chance we could meet, maybe for coffee or a drink? A question or two I'd like to ask you. And no, I'm in no trouble, actually it's for a colleague of mine. My partner in our medical practice." He explained rather vaguely.

“A drink? I’m the God-damned Assistant D.A. you great Moose!” Calhoun laughed. “Good old Grey’! Listen, I’ll meet you at a little malt shop called Pipsqueaks on the corner of North East 2nd Avenue and East Flagler Street. You got that? Can you be there in an hour? Good. I need a break from this pile of horseshit.”

"Be great to see you and rehash some of the old times and my rather dismal attempt at pasture pool as some call it."

“Yes, and we can put a date in our diaries for the rematch!” the attorney added, hopefully.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Knowing that he only had 30 minutes to work on the article made the time go quickly and he actually got a good few paragraphs written, with a smile on his face to boot, despite the disheartening subject matter. Then, eschewing the automobile, he made the walk down to the malt shop.

Greyson was there first! The Grey’ he knew was never anywhere first, why, the amount of times he’d waited around for that guy – something serious must be on the cards. “Hullo Grey’!” Steve virtually shouted from the door. He turned long enough to order “Two usuals” from Annie behind the counter, and the next second was shaking hands with his old pal.

Annie brought over two totally legal “Medicinal Fortified Tonic Wines” which were guaranteed to give you a kick like a mule and strip paint from doors.

“All right, Moose” Steve leaned back in his bench in the booth they occupied “Spill, and none of this ‘asking for a friend’ business. You’re not a doctor and I’m not a D.A., we’re Sigma Chi brothers and don’t have to watch what we say. Are you in trouble?” he fished out a cigarette case and offered one to Greyson.

Liked 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

Greyson was there first! The Grey’ he knew was never anywhere first, why, the amount of times he’d waited around for that guy – something serious must be on the cards. “Hullo Grey’!” Steve virtually shouted from the door. He turned long enough to order “Two usuals” from Annie behind the counter, and the next second was shaking hands with his old pal.

Annie brought over two totally legal “Medicinal Fortified Tonic Wines” which were guaranteed to give you a kick like a mule and strip paint from doors.

“All right, Moose” Steve leaned back in his bench in the booth they occupied “Spill, and none of this ‘asking for a friend’ business. You’re not a doctor and I’m not a D.A., we’re Sigma Chi brothers and don’t have to watch what we say. Are you in trouble?” he fished out a cigarette case and offered one to Greyson.

“There’s this guy, Doctor Janos at Pembrook Pines, my colleague has a sister there and we’re concerned about the guy. Something just doesn’t match up. I mean I just get this queer feeling around him and the place for that matter.” Greyson explained. “I was hoping that if there was anything, arrests, investigations, improprieties, law suites, anything, so she can make a decent decision about her sister's care.”

Liked 1

Stephen Calhoun

?Years Young
13 Posts

“There’s this guy, Doctor Janos at Pembrook Pines, my colleague has a sister there and we’re concerned about the guy. Something just doesn’t match up. I mean I just get this queer feeling around him and the place for that matter.” Greyson explained.

“Doesn’t everyone feel that way about lunatic asylums?” Steve wondered out line, leaning back with his drink, relaxed, but his interest definitely peaked.

“You know, if you’d asked about any other asylum in the state, I wouldn’t have a clue, but you’ve struck lucky. We have quite a few dealings with Pembrook in the D.A.’s Office. In fact the last two guys I tried to have sent to the chair got sent there instead, thanks to a defense attorney called Frank Tennille. He specializes in insanity pleas. Least he did: he bought it in a drive-by shooting yesterday.”

He took a sip of the ‘Fortified Cordial’ and winced.

“Jesus!”

He got back to the question at hand. “So what sort of information do you want on Janos?”

“I was hoping that if there was anything, arrests, investigations, improprieties, law suites, anything, so she can make a decent decision about her sister's care.”

A shake of the lawyer’s head more or less answered that one, but he elucidated with further detail.

“Listen Grey, the main part of that asylum, place your partner’s sister’s probably in, that’ll be licensed by the Florida Medical Board. They won’t bother Janos any more than they bother you. But the section with the criminally insane cases like Archibald and Renfield, that’s a whole different ball game: it’s technically part of the prison system, and the Florida Prison Board inspect the hell out of that place once a month. Janos, the system there, all the staff … squeaky clean. Gotta be.”

He shrugged.

“Of course, there were all those bodies in the swamps with their blood drained out of them but … say, did you say ‘she’ can make a decision?! Your medical partner’s a flapper?! Why Grey, you sly old Moose!”

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

“There’s this guy, Doctor Janos at Pembrook Pines, my colleague has a sister there and we’re concerned about the guy. Something just doesn’t match up. I mean I just get this queer feeling around him and the place for that matter.” Greyson explained.

“Doesn’t everyone feel that way about lunatic asylums?” Steve wondered out line, leaning back with his drink, relaxed, but his interest definitely peaked.

“You know, if you’d asked about any other asylum in the state, I wouldn’t have a clue, but you’ve struck lucky. We have quite a few dealings with Pembrook in the D.A.’s Office. In fact the last two guys I tried to have sent to the chair got sent there instead, thanks to a defense attorney called Frank Tennille. He specializes in insanity pleas. Least he did: he bought it in a drive-by shooting yesterday.”

He took a sip of the ‘Fortified Cordial’ and winced.

“Jesus!”

He got back to the question at hand. “So what sort of information do you want on Janos?”

“I was hoping that if there was anything, arrests, investigations, improprieties, law suites, anything, so she can make a decent decision about her sister's care.”

A shake of the lawyer’s head more or less answered that one, but he elucidated with further detail.

“Listen Grey, the main part of that asylum, place your partner’s sister’s probably in, that’ll be licensed by the Florida Medical Board. They won’t bother Janos any more than they bother you. But the section with the criminally insane cases like Archibald and Renfield, that’s a whole different ball game: it’s technically part of the prison system, and the Florida Prison Board inspect the hell out of that place once a month. Janos, the system there, all the staff … squeaky clean. Gotta be.”

He shrugged.

“Of course, there were all those bodies in the swamps with their blood drained out of them but … say, did you say ‘she’ can make a decision?! Your medical partner’s a flapper?! Why Grey, you sly old Moose!”

“Oh far from it Steve, she’s a fine surgeon and a fine woman,” Greyson stated. “There’s none of that hanky-panky going on that seems to happen in so many of these types of partnerships. I promised to help her out with his mess so that’s my involvement.

“Bodies in the swamp? Seriously, Steve? I mean, if the inspectors are as thorough as you say, how can something as gruesome as that not be not just suspicious, but investigated intensely?” The idea of bodies, drained of blood sent a chill through him. The idea of something so heinous, so macabre had the hair on his neck standing up. This just furthered his suspicions about the man and his asylum. “This is astounding! Unbelievable! Like some melodramatic Lon Chaney horror film!”

Stephen Calhoun

?Years Young
13 Posts

“Oh far from it Steve, she’s a fine surgeon and a fine woman,” Greyson stated. “There’s none of that hanky-panky going on that seems to happen in so many of these types of partnerships. I promised to help her out with this mess so that’s my involvement.

“Oh, course, course!” frowned Calhoun nodding his head. He frowned a bit too hard, and nodded a little too vigorously, though, and there was a twinkle in the prosecutor’s eye. “Ha! Don’t give me that, you old Moose: one minute it’ll be ‘pass the forceps’, next it’ll be dinner dates and ocean cruises, mark my words. And next thing after that, I’ll be having to write best man speeches.”

This bit of repartee was totally lost on Steele, who seemed preoccupied by something that Calhoun had mentioned earlier.

“Bodies in the swamp? Seriously, Steve? I mean, if the inspectors are as thorough as you say, how can something as gruesome as that not be not just suspicious, but investigated intensely?” The idea of bodies, drained of blood sent a chill through him. The idea of something so heinous, so macabre had the hair on his neck standing up. This just furthered his suspicions about the man and his asylum. “This is astounding! Unbelievable! Like some melodramatic Lon Chaney horror film!”

“Oh no, I didn’t explain that too well. The bodies weren’t found near the Asylum, they weren’t even in the same county. But one was an ex-inmate of the asylum, the other used to work there as a nurse. Or was still working there as a nurse, I can’t remember. A reporter called Callahan got hold of the story and was bugging me about it for weeks.”

He shrugged.

“Can’t remember too much about it, never came to a suspect being arrested, let alone a trial. If you want more details you’d need to ask Baxter. Lieutenant Baxter in homicide, he investigated it but couldn’t get very far. Broward County boys weren’t too co-operative. In fact, they were downright obstructive, to hear Baxter talk.”

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

“Oh no, I didn’t explain that too well. The bodies weren’t found near the Asylum, they weren’t even in the same county. But one was an ex-inmate of the asylum, the other used to work there as a nurse. Or was still working there as a nurse, I can’t remember. A reporter called Callahan got hold of the story and was bugging me about it for weeks.”

He shrugged.

“Can’t remember too much about it, never came to a suspect being arrested, let alone a trial. If you want more details you’d need to ask Baxter. Lieutenant Baxter in homicide, he investigated it but couldn’t get very far. Broward County boys weren’t too co-operative. In fact, they were downright obstructive, to hear Baxter talk.”

Suddenly he had two additional contacts to see, which would certainly have more information. The idea of the bodies in the swamp sent a chill down his spine, it certainly was like something from a horror story, but there, in real life. An ex-inmate he had said and a nurse, both from Pembrook Pines. Was there a connection?

“This Callahan, I’ve read some of his stuff. Entertaining column to say the least.” Greyson admitted. “I must admit, I was not really prepared for such a ghastly report, even if, as you say, it was not at the asylum, there does seem to be a connection, and I emphasize seem to be. A man’s reputation hangs in the balance. Well, if in fact he is in any way connected. to the crimes. ”

“A question though, which would you suggest contacting first, I mean I have no real interest in the bodies angle on this, my main concern is Doctor Janos and what is known about the man. Though it appears both men could shed some light on the doctor.”

Stephen Calhoun

?Years Young
13 Posts

“This Callahan, I’ve read some of his stuff. Entertaining column to say the least.” Greyson admitted.

Steele could afford to enjoy Callahan’s column, unlike Calhoun he wasn't likely to appear in it being quoted out of context!

“I must admit, I was not really prepared for such a ghastly report, even if, as you say, it was not at the asylum, there does seem to be a connection, and I emphasize seem to be. A man’s reputation hangs in the balance. Well, if in fact he is in any way connected. to the crimes.”

“Well look, Gray, it’s not as if you’re going to publish a book about the feller: all you need to do is find out if your girlfriend’s sister is in any sort of danger, and if you think she is, get her out of there. And if you do find anything that you think the police should know about, just tell it to your friendly neighborhood Assistant D.A. next time you’re playing a round of golf with him. Next Saturday, perhaps?” Steve tried again to interest the good Doctor in another punt at his favorite game.

“A question though, which would you suggest contacting first, I mean I have no real interest in the bodies angle on this, my main concern is Doctor Janos and what is known about the man. Though it appears both men could shed some light on the doctor.”

“Oh Geez, don’t get Callahan all excited about it, he’ll be talking my ear off for weeks again. Go see Baxter, I’ll tip him the wink that your coming and that you can be trusted with the full skinny. But say … this is all strictly off the record, Brother Moose.” the public servant warned. “Don’t go getting me into trouble about all of this.”

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

Greyson actually had not been on the links in more than a year. He had to some degree, lost interest in the game, and he was not sure what precipitated that change. Perhaps how his practice had grown, and there was the addition of treating gunshot wounds for those who were unable to go to the hospital.

"Honestly, I've not played in well over a year, and with all that's going on, I don't know, the game has just lost its luster, you might say, but I will tell you this, once I get through this Janos business, perhaps then we might enjoy a game." He explained. "I'm not near what I used to be, but that will provide you with a chance to win."

But then there was Janos, "So Baxter it is, and your help with a meeting is most appreciated. I'm afraid that a professional opinion is what I need because I can tell you that I thoroughly dislike and distrust the man." He leaned forward, "In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't up to his eyeballs in the bloodless corpses!"

Though he could not be sure of any involvement, he still managed to be honest about his feelings. And if it wasn't murder, he was quite sure it would be something else equally as heinous.