Thought You Should Know

Started by Grace (Gracie) Stroud at Aug 31, 2020 9:59 AM
February 26, 1924
14 Posts

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
163 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

The Baron's Mansion

Evening

Once the kindly Terazona left the room and closed the door behind him, Gracie picked up the receiver and began dialing. First off, she phoned the business office number for the Lorelei. Of course the swank nightclub and midocean speakeasy was on the ship but their office was on shore so they could have a phone line, a most necessary thing for receiving bookings and reservations. Her call was a quick one, she simply told the individual on the phone who was she and to notify the proper person in charge of such things that she would be missing work for ...awhile. She used the excuse she was ill. While the shooting would be all over the papers tomorrow, she had not stayed for the arrival of the police (or press) so would not be connected with the incident. Unless the cops did their due diligence and tracked her down from possible eye witnesses. She could hope not. The young waitress concluded with a promise to call again when she expected she had recovered enough to resume her shifts.

OK, one call down. Now the one she was actually more nervous about even though she wasn't exactly sure why. She had to let Tommy know what happened. And tell him the truth too. Would this be the straw that broke the camel's back though in their relationship. Thus far he knew she was an ex-gangster's moll but this might shock him into realizing with a life like hers you never really seem to be able to get out of it. Something always seemed to suck you back in. Tommy had given her his private phone number besides it was evening so calling his office was out of the question for many reasons. He was a fed after all. She dialed it and waited then as it rang.

Just when she thought maybe he wasn't home, the ringing stopped and the phone was picked up by someone on the other side. She didn't even give him a chance to say anything.

"Tommy, this is Gracie. Sorry to bother you but I got some news for ya."

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
100 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

Tommy was in the middle of re-reading the two previous days' papers when the phone rang. Actually, he was closer to dozing, but that still counted as reading in his mind, especially when some of the stories were just so boring.

He glared sourly at the phone before heaving himself out of his chair to pick up the phone. He answered with just a simple "Hello?" that would be enough to identify himself if the caller knew him. And she did know him.

"Tommy, this is Gracie. Sorry to bother you but I got some news for ya."

Her greeting was rather abrupt. Not rude, because he couldn't imagine Gracie ever being rude. But it was quick, not giving him enough time say anything until she had finished.

"Gracie? Hey, what's goin' on?"

News could mean lots of things, especially coming from an ex-moll. He wasn't quite sure what to expect, but he hoped it wasn't bad news. Whatever it was, she sure wasn't bothering him. He was glad she had called. He wished they got to talk more, but he worked days and she worked nights and it was really only on Monday nights that they could catch up or do things together.

"Hey...shouldn't you be working?" he asked a few seconds later.

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
163 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

"Gracie? Hey, what's goin' on?"

She was relieved she had gotten a hold of him first try, but paused as she now considered exactly how to give him the news after all she hadn't thought about what she would say exactly prior to dialing.

"Hey...shouldn't you be working?"

"I'm so glad I got you on the phone, Tommy. I'm gonna make this pretty quick but I wanted to make sure you wouldn't be worrying about me for awhile," she started explaining.

"Hon, I'm gonna miss work for awhile. You see I.... well, I don't know how else to say it but just tell you straight up. I got shot today. You know....like shot with a gun. I took a bullet in the thigh. But....don't worry. The doctor said I'll be fine, honest," Gracie assured him.

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
100 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

As Gracie went on, Tommy started to get an odd feeling in his stomach. Why wasn't she working? Why was she going to be missing work?

"You what?!"

The room seemed to spin as he sank down into his chair, his heart pounding. How had she gotten shot?

"But....don't worry. The doctor said I'll be fine, honest."

His throat constricted and he rubbed his hand over his face. It was shocking to realize how much Gracie had come to mean to him in such a short time. The thought of losing her frightened him in a way he had never been frightened in the trenches.

But she was all right. She would be fine. He exhaled slowly

"So you've seen a doctor? Where are you? Please tell me you went to a hospital."

He didn't even think about the fact that she might feel the same way about hospitals as she felt about cops. Did they even have phones in hospital rooms? He didn't think so. Where was she?

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
163 Posts

"So you've seen a doctor? Where are you? Please tell me you went to a hospital."

Tommy was full of questions which certainly was reasonable. She would have been worried about him too if the shoe had been on the other foot.

"Yes, I've seen one. Removed the bullet, sewed me up. Now it's gonna take some time to heal," Gracie answered the first one.

"I didn't go to a public hospital no, but a private clinic. It's a place where no questions are asked, they just treat the problem. I only found out about it when I ended up there but everything was very well handled," she then answered the last question.

The middle question was the tough one though.

"For now I'm not staying in my apartment. The doc said for me not to stay anyplace alone for awhile. But - and please don't get all upset with me - but I can't tell you right now exactly where I am. But it's a swell joint and I'm gonna have my own servant looking after me. I'm safe, that's the big thing. Just as soon as I can I will want to see you again in person. You just have to trust me, Tommy?" she pleaded with him.

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
100 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

Tommy was glad Gracie had been taken care of, but he was still curious as to where she was. She waffled around for just a bit, giving him answers to all but that question first.

"But - and please don't get all upset with me - but I can't tell you right now exactly where I am. But it's a swell joint and I'm gonna have my own servant looking after me. I'm safe, that's the big thing. Just as soon as I can I will want to see you again in person. You just have to trust me, Tommy?"

He frowned and was quiet for almost a whole minute. It was hard not to insist that Gracie tell him exactly where she was and how to get there. She was obviously being looked out for - she had a servant! - but he wanted to see her and make sure she was all right himself.

"Fine," he said finally, heaving a large sigh. "Fine. I won't come looking for you. Call me when you're back at your apartment, will ya?"

And before he could stop himself, he continued, "Or before. Call me whenever. I may not be home, but I'll pick up if I am."

And then he thought of something else.

"Hey, Gracie? Does it hurt bad?"

Liked 2

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
163 Posts

Gracie could tell by the one of his voice he was not happy.

"Fine. I won't come looking for you. Call me when you're back at your apartment, will ya?"

And before he could stop himself, he continued, "Or before. Call me whenever. I may not be home, but I'll pick up if I am."

"I will, I promise," she assured him.

"Hey, Gracie? Does it hurt bad?"

"It sure did when I first got hit but right now I've got some pain killers in me so I'm feeling alright. Tomorrow I might feel differently though I imagine," she answered honestly.

"Tommy, it'll be in the papers tomorrow I'm sure. I heard somebody got killed even but I didn't know anyone there. I was just standing at a newstand looking at his magazines. Just an innocent bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whoever shot me just drove right off. I'm telling you this cuz my name won't be in the papers, I got out of there fast. So don't tell anyone at your work I called you or told you this. Keep it between you and me, hon, please."

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
100 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

"Tommy, it'll be in the papers tomorrow I'm sure. I heard somebody got killed even but I didn't know anyone there. I was just standing at a newstand looking at his magazines. Just an innocent bystander in the wrong place at the wrong time. Whoever shot me just drove right off. I'm telling you this cuz my name won't be in the papers, I got out of there fast. So don't tell anyone at your work I called you or told you this. Keep it between you and me, hon, please."

"Promise. Cross my heart."

He smiled grimly and crossed his heart automatically as he spoke. He still hadn't told anyone at the bureau about him and Gracie, but he had noticed a couple of the other agents looking at him on Tuesday mornings.

Since he worked days and Gracie worked nights, they spent most of their time together on Monday nights, and some Tuesdays during the past month he had been late to work. Not very late, but when a guy came in a few minutes late with a slightly rumpled suit, maybe some lipstick on his collar, and sometimes a headache, people noticed.

But one of Gracie's sentences had caught his attention. Whoever shot me just drove right off.

Tommy had a rare flash of insight that, coupled with his curiosity about the incident, prompted him to say, "Drive bys are kinda a gangster thing. Odd you're an ex-moll and you got involved in a drive by."

Maybe not that much insight, actually.

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
163 Posts

Sometimes Tommy was pretty naive, especially for a Fed but on the other hand he was not a veteran officer of the law. And his naivety was endearing in Gracie's mind. But he put two and two together fast this time.

"Drive bys are kinda a gangster thing. Odd you're an ex-moll and you got involved in a drive by."

He had a point alright.

"Well, I get where you might think that but actually I don't even think he was aiming at me in particular. The man who died, he was probably the target, the rest of us standing there were just in the way," she answered quickly.

But then there was also the distinct possibility of a tie in with Johnnie's fate, maybe that was even what Tommy was getting at.

"Course Johnnie got gunned down, maybe this is the same person who killed Johnnie that time and he recognized me? I don't know. I didn't exactly get time to ask him - hey, why are you shooting me, mister?"

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
100 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

"The man who died, he was probably the target, the rest of us standing there were just in the way."

"Good," Tommy said fervently. "If I thought you were the target, I'd...uh...break my promise and find you anyway."

Promises were meant to be kept, but if this drive by had been targeting Gracie, he would feel a lot better knowing where she was staying. But he didn't know, and it sounded like this shooting was just an accident as far as Gracie's injury was concerned.

He laughed at her humor, glad that she could still joke around even though she was in pain. It was a good sign that she would pull through this injury and be back to her normal go-out-dancing self soon.

"Listen, if you need anything - and I mean anything - call me. Even if you just wanna talk to someone. Got it?"