Started by Maude Tillery at Aug 08, 2020 9:58 PM
January 0, 1924
59 Posts

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

In an instant, Maude was out of her chair, so quickly it tumbled backward as she braced her hands on the desk, leaning forward over Janos.  "Under no circumstances will you ever preform electroshock on my sister, am I clear?"

She drew a breath, working to compose herself, knowing that the good 'doctor' was going to read something into her outburst, but she didn't care, she wasn't the one with the problem here, and he had just given them the out they needed.

"I'm sorry," she murmured, sinking back into the chair that Greyson had righted for her, "I've just heard stories and read papers on the damages caused by electroshock verses the chances for a positive outcome, and it is strictly a last resort."  Sarah wasn't nearly that lost yet.  "Perhaps you are right, if she feels of use it may bring her around."

She took a deep breath, allowing Greyson to handle the payments, although she had to wonder why the doctor wanted a check, rather than cash that could be fudged on a little with Uncle Sam.  In the mean time, she was itching to talk to Greyson alone.

Greyson smiled, “Then I must disappoint, I have not brought a check, and I prefer to pay in cash with a receipt. Of course, Doctor, if you are refusing a cash payment, then I’m afraid we will have to collect Sarah and be on our way.” His voice was not unpleasant, just firm. He had no idea what the man was up to, but he was positive he did not trust Doctor Janos.

Dr. Emil Janos

Director of the Pembroke Pines Asylum for the Insane
?Years Young
22 Posts

"Freud and Jung are both wrong ... it is within the very flesh that madness lies!"

In an instant, Maude was out of her chair, so quickly it tumbled backward as she braced her hands on the desk, leaning forward over Janos.  "Under no circumstances will you ever preform electroshock on my sister, am I clear?"

“I don’t know about clear, but you are certainly loud, Doctor!” replied Janos, in equally forthright tones “My dear woman, that is exactly what I wish to avoid!”

"I'm sorry," she murmured, sinking back into the chair that Greyson had righted for her, "I've just heard stories and read papers on the damages caused by electroshock verses the chances for a positive outcome, and it is strictly a last resort."  Sarah wasn't nearly that lost yet.  "Perhaps you are right, if she feels of use it may bring her around."

“Yes, it will strike to very heart of the problem, as well as getting her out and about amongst normal society. There are limits to what we can achieve here in that direction.” he pontificated. “Now, if you wish to write a cheque for the amount, I am sure that will be fine.”

Greyson smiled, “Then I must disappoint, I have not brought a check, and I prefer to pay in cash with a receipt. Of course, Doctor, if you are refusing a cash payment, then I’m afraid we will have to collect Sarah and be on our way.” His voice was not unpleasant, just firm. He had no idea what the man was up to, but he was positive he did not trust Doctor Janos.

Janos looked slightly put out by this. “Oh, I dare say that will do. It is just that I do not like to keep large amounts of cash in the place. Very well, if you wish: there have been stories of large amounts of ‘slush’ circulating recently, but I don’t imagine any of it will have fallen into your esteemed hands, Doctor.” he smiled thinly. By slush, he meant counterfeit notes. “After all, I’m sure that you do not consort with forgers and criminals!” he added, as if in jest.

“As for Sarah’s transferal back to your care, I shouldn’t rush it. It will be a shock to her. I will discuss the matter, introduce it gently, perhaps we could give it a week for the idea to sink in?” he frowned, as if deep in thought about the least upsetting way to effect the move.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Don't bother her until I'm sure what I'm doing," Maude asked Janos, "I'd prefer not to disrupt her routine, if it can be helped, and there's a couple of months, at any rate." 

She needed time to think, and she'd need to spend some time with Sarah, to see where she was, then talk to Greyson, seek some advice before making any sort of decision.  And if she ever got her hands on Mr. Lang, she'd surely throttle the man, not only for the trouble he'd caused her, but for the mess he was creating for her sister...

But then, maybe she owned the man a debt of gratitude.

"The money is as good as any," she declared, but then had to wonder if Janos would take it, then later declare it worthless and demand more.  This was not what she'd been expecting.

Liked 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

Greyson smiled at the reference to the money that was as good as any check. Although he was unsure of the man's motives, he would insist on a signed receipt for his own protection, should there be any skullduggery involved with the proposed cash payment.

Not only did Greyson not trust Janos, but he also had an instant dislike for the man, the feeling was not simply a passing reaction, but a deep-seated feeling. Yet he would not intervene with whatever decision Maude would make concerning her sister. 

Liked 1

Dr. Emil Janos

?Years Young
22 Posts

"Freud and Jung are both wrong ... it is within the very flesh that madness lies!"

Janos accepted the cash from Steele, and didn’t even make any kind of show of counting the notes that were handed to them: but the impression he gave was that this was because he saw the act as rather beneath him, rather than because he trusted Greyson to give him the right amount or to give him genuine notes.

He made out a receipt in short order and handed it to the man, seeing as he had coughed it up, and locked it in a drawer in his desk.

He stood up.

“Now that rather unpleasant little episode is over, perhaps you would like to visit with your sister. Perhaps Nurse Coburn has persuaded her to make her way to the dining area.” he said, putting away the pipe that he had neither lit nor smoked while they were there.

Exiting the office, a peep into the patient’s room showed that she was no longer there and, indeed, entry to the bright and airy environs of the modern looking dining area showed Sarah sitting at a table with an untouched sandwich on a plate in front of her.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

Before entering the room where her sister was, Maude took a few deep breaths to settle her nerves, then put on a smile as she approached the table.

"Hi, Miss Sarah.  I brought you some company.  This is Doctor Steele...we work together."  She stood to the side of the table, letting her sister see Greyson, not anticipating any problems, since Sarah seemed to like meeting new people.  Then she pulled a Hershey's bar from her pocket, Sarah's favorite.  "Brought this, too.  For after lunch."

Although she knew that Sarah knew she could have the chocolate whether she ate her sandwich or not!

Liked 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"Hi, Miss Sarah.  I brought you some company.  This is Doctor Steele...we work together."  She stood to the side of the table, letting her sister see Greyson, not anticipating any problems, since Sarah seemed to like meeting new people.  Then she pulled a Hershey's bar from her pocket, Sarah's favorite.  "Brought this, too.  For after lunch."

Although she knew that Sarah knew she could have the chocolate whether she ate her sandwich or not!

“Hello Sarah, it is a pleasure to meet you. Your sister has told me so much about you.” Greyson said. He did not extend a had to her, waiting instead to see her reaction to him. Strangers sometimes had ill effects on patients.

It was Doctor Janos that intrigued him most. An odd duck to be sure, but was there more to the man than his eccentric behavior? Was it just a cover for something more, sinister or not, it was clear to Greyson that the man saw himself above everyone else, and in this atmosphere, he could play that to the hilt, unmolested.

Liked 1

Dr. Emil Janos

?Years Young
22 Posts

Janos excused himself and left the three of them alone.

"Hi, Miss Sarah. I brought you some company. This is Doctor Steele...we work together."  She stood to the side of the table, letting her sister see Greyson, not anticipating any problems, since Sarah seemed to like meeting new people.  Then she pulled a Hershey's bar from her pocket, Sarah's favorite.  "Brought this, too. For after lunch."

“Thank you kindly, Miss Maude” replied the woman, in turn, taking the candy and placing it next to the sandwich. The depression, although it had hit her hard in many ways, didn’t stop her being Sarah, it’s not like she’d forgotten who she was, who Maude was, their sisterly bond, their sisterly rivalries, all their ups and downs together as children and teenagers, at least until Maude had gone away to college. They still had their pet names for each other and their secret jokes.

It was more that, if she had the choice, instead of sitting here trying to act normal she would now be lying on her bed staring at the ceiling. She wasn’t suicidal. They didn’t have to watch her. It was the thought of doing anything, anything at all, made her sad. Not even sad in an emotional, crying, bawling way. Just a leaden, dull, tired sad.

“Hello Sarah, it is a pleasure to meet you. Your sister has told me so much about you.” Greyson said. He did not extend a had to her, waiting instead to see her reaction to him. Strangers sometimes had ill effects on patients.

The old Sarah would have had something funny to say about that, this Sarah found the energy to say “Hello.” and then wished she could escape and go and sit down in her room or look out of the window at the trees and flowers that grew in profusion in the grounds of her home.

She pictured the mountain, the big, snow tipped, insurmountable looking, exhausting to climb, almost impossible to climb! But on the other side of which, even if you never reached it, there was a sunny land. She imagined herself, grabbing an outcrop, pulling herself up, oh, only a few inches, but up. Up a single footstep.

Positioning the candy bar and the sandwich into a less disturbing pattern on the table, she gave Maude a small smile, one that made her dull eyes seem to sparkle a little. “What do you think of my ‘loony doctor’, Miss Maude?” she asked, with the very slightest hint of her old mischievousness. 

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

Maude smiled and sat, motioning to Greyson to do the same.  "Well, he is a bit loony, isn't he?  So he fits us well."  She laughed, relaxing a little, wishing that there was a way she could just hug her sister's troubles away.  Of course, it wasn't that easy, and a lifetime of hugging had done little more than keep Sarah as stable as she was.

"I think he wants you to eat your lunch, you know.  You have to stay strong."  She smiled at her sister and patted her hand.  "So, what have you been up to?  Dr. Janos was talking to you about the movies earlier.  Do you still have a crush on Douglass Fairbanks?  I still like Valentino better!"

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"I think he wants you to eat your lunch, you know.  You have to stay strong."  She smiled at her sister and patted her hand.  "So, what have you been up to?  Dr. Janos was talking to you about the movies earlier.  Do you still have a crush on Douglass Fairbanks?  I still like Valentino better!"

Greyson maintained his composure as the sister sope. And yes, there was something quite unsettling about Doctor Janos. He held a smile as Maude talked with her sister about the movie stars, while at the same time watching Janos.