Started by The Narrator at Jul 26, 2020 10:57 AM
February 26, 1924
14 Posts

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
40 Posts

The Clinic

A 1921 Ford model truck that had definitely seen better days pulled up in front of the clinic. The passenger side door opened and a young looking lanky fella clambered on out, paused for last second words with the driver, nodded, then closed the vehicle door. As for the truck it did a U-turn in the road and ended up parked on the far side of the street facing the opposite direction.

The young man walked on up to the front door, cleared his throat with a quick cough then opened it and move on in. He had never been here before, truth was he had never been to any doctor's office or hospital in his life so he wasn't quite sure what to expect or how it all worked. He just knew he was here as a followup after his brother had made a phonecall. That pretty woman doctor was going to remove his stitches from that unfortunate gunshot wound. Unfortunate maybe but he had been lucky, it had only grazed him and ripped the skin along his rib cage but it could have so much worse. Being gutshot would have most likely been fatal.

"Hello?" he called out.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

Maude was finishing up some paperwork in her office when the little bell over the door tinkled and then someone called out.  Grayson was tied up with a patient, so she set aside what she was doing -- gratefully...paperwork was the bane of most any professional's existence -- and went out to the desk.

"Good day, can I help...oh!"  She actually smiled when she saw who it was, maybe because he appeared to be alone?  "Alvin, isn't it?  How is that wound?  You are looking good today."  She smiled.

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
40 Posts

It was the very same doctor, the woman doctor, who had first taken care of his wound, that came out of some back office to greet him. Even though he was wounded at the time then plied with whiskey, he recognized her instantly.

"Alvin, isn't it?  How is that wound?  You are looking good today." She smiled.

"Yes, ma'am...umm, sorry Doctor, you're looking real good too," he nervously stumbled through that greeting, almost forgetting the most important question.

"It's good....the wound I mean. I feel just fine," he assured her.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

Maude smiled at the boy's compliment, she got the feeling that he didn't often interact with people outside his small circle, and that was a pity.

"Thank you, I'm glad to hear the wound is healing. Come on back to a room and I'll check it out and remove the sutures, this shouldn't take long."  So long as there wasn't an infection, taking out the stitches would only take a couple minutes.

"So, I'll need you to take off your shirt, please."  She could accomplish what she wanted to if he just raised it up, but taking it off would make things much easier.

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
40 Posts

The doctor seemed pleased with his short and sweet report about his health then invited into a back room announcing the removal of the sutures shouldn't take long. He followed her of course. She then asked him to undress. Normally Alvin was quite conscious about such a thing but after all she had already seen him bare to the waist when she worked on him in the first place.

"Yes, doctor, I can do that," Alvin nodded compliantly as he removed his suitcoat first then started unbuttoning his shirt.

"I brought cash...so ya know...." he announced just because he felt like he should say something here while he stripped down.

Setting coat and shirt aside then, he was ready.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Thank you, Alvin."  Maude smiled at him, thinking that it was such a waste, he was well-mannered and seemed reasonably smart, but he was stuck in his circumstances.  Maybe she could talk to Grayson and see about offering him a job, see about setting him on the right path...

...or expose him to even more hardened criminals that he already was...

"Well, it does look good," she commented, looking at the old injury, "you did a fine job taking care of it."  She smiled, then went over to the counter to get the delicate scissors used to clip the stitches.

"This might feel a bit strange, a pulling sensation, but no pain."  As she started working, she smiled again.  "But you handle pain pretty well, from what I recall."

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
40 Posts

He raised one arm so she could get a better look at his side then looked down also as she examined it. It looked fine to him, no real redness, no swelling.

"Well, it does look good. You did a fine job taking care of it."

She agreed confirming his opinion of the situation.

"Thanks, really didn't do much though. I was loading crates onto a truck just the other day," Alvin declared with some manful pride.

"This might feel a bit strange, a pulling sensation, but no pain."  As she started working, she smiled again.  "But you handle pain pretty well, from what I recall."

"Oh I don't know, I hear I got pretty drunk and said some really stupid things. Hope nothing that offended you though, Doctor," he wanted her to know.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Oh, you didn't say anything bad, nor embarrassing," Maude insisted, attempting to boost his ego a bit, and she really hadn't been offended by anything he had said.  "And I suppose you were a little sauced, but that only dulls some of the pain, so, yes, you did well."

As she was talking to him, she quickly removed the stitches, then sat back with a smile.  "There you go!  It's all done."  She didn't anticipate any reason he'd need to have the area checked again, even though it was still a bit raw.

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
40 Posts

The lady doctor had a friendly way about her, she dismissed any worries he might have had about saying something stupid last time. Arden had informed him that he had gone and made a fool of himself, the doctor didn't think so. And before he even realized, she was finished - the stitches were out! He glanced down at his rib cage and sure enough, well that really was easy.

"Oh, good. I guess I can put my shirt on now?" Alvin stood up to reach for his garment.

"I brought twenty five bucks, is that gonna be enough?" he honestly had no idea about medical prices, having never been shot before or even in a doctors office til just then.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Oh, good. I guess I can put my shirt on now?"

"Yes, that will be fine."  Maude nodded, since there was no need for a dressing any more.

"I brought twenty five bucks, is that gonna be enough?"

"Oh, yes, that's fine."  It was a month's rent, an exorbitant amount, especially considering how simple the visit had been.  "Let's make it fifteen, and a promise that you won't get in front of any more bullets."  Maybe he'd keep the extra five for himself and get something he wanted?