Playing For Keeps

Started by Grace (Gracie) Stroud at Jul 22, 2020 6:01 PM
February 26, 1924
37 Posts

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
50 Posts

"There are even rumors that we are descended from Hatuey, an early Taíno chief of Cuba, but that, my dear lady, is an entirely ridiculous hypothesis."

The conversation turned to horses and riding, but it seemed that neither of the women were particularly conversant with equestrian pursuits. When he first came to the United States two years ago, he had imagined that everybody carried a six-shooter and rode around on horses, but in Miami the former was more likely than the latter.

"Ride a horse? I'm a city girl, always was. I never got within five feet of a real horse," the thought amused her for some reason but she added, "But you know what? I'd give it a shot... when I get better."

“Yes, yes!” beamed the Baron brightly “It will be good exercise for your recovery!” he informed her. “My sister can lend you some riding gear. If we are going to steal one of her maids, we might as well raid her wardrobe while we are at it!”

“I imagine that the doctor here is an accomplished horse rider, if driving is not an option.” He guessed. Wrongly.

"I rode a pony once, when I was at the fair.  I was six, and it was the best thing ever!"  As much as horses were a necessity to getting around, in a large city there was little need to actually own one, and choices for boarding them were limited.  "I wouldn't mind trying that again, but knowing my luck, I'd fall off and break a leg."

“Ah, what do they say… ‘Doctor heal thyself’?” he chuckled. “Well, my sister and I go riding just about every morning, there are some nice little stables just outside Miami, and if either of you want to try it out, it would be a very small matter to have Ho pick you up in the machine. You can even meet my sister’s racehorse, God Boy, a very beautiful animal.” He was talking generally to the both of them now and one thing was clear: the Baron sure loved his horses.

“I would never actually bet on him myself, mind you, he cannot win a race to save his life! Of course, I tell my sister that I lose money on him all the time!”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"I'd really like that," Maude commented, providing she ever saw any of them again, other than professionally.  At least now, it seemed like she was starting to have some free time, a luxury that hadn't been available since starting school.  "I need to find something that isn't work to engage in now and then, and I think horseback riding would be  great way to do that."

Not just physical exercise, but she imagined it would be relaxing to be out in nature, riding through trees or on the beach.

"Thank you for the offer, Barón Tarazona.  And I hope I don't need to see you nor Miss Gracie, nor anyone you know, in a professional manner."

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
183 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

"I've been to the race tracks to watch the horses run. They're really beautiful. We used to bet on some races but we never had much luck. It was fun though," Grace threw in her two cents.

As for what Doc said about never seeing each other again professionally, she nodded.

"Don't take this wrong, I think yer swell but yeah, I don't ever want to see you,  lying here like this and you fixing me up. Once is enough for me," she declared.

ooc: Probably can start wrapping this one up?

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
50 Posts

"There are even rumors that we are descended from Hatuey, an early Taíno chief of Cuba, but that, my dear lady, is an entirely ridiculous hypothesis."

"I've been to the race tracks to watch the horses run. They're really beautiful. We used to bet on some races but we never had much luck. It was fun though," Grace threw in her two cents.

The Baron nodded. “Yes, laying a few dollars on certainly adds an extra frisson of excitement to any sporting event. The trick is not to convince yourself that you can win in the long run. I’ve known quite a few men who have ruined themselves after convincing themselves that their luck or system is better than that of the bookmaker or the card dealer or the roulette wheel operator. No, no, no: those gentlemen always win in the end.”

As for what Doc said about never seeing each other again professionally, she nodded.

"Don't take this wrong, I think yer swell but yeah, I don't ever want to see you lying here like this and you fixing me up. Once is enough for me," she declared.

“Enough for anybody!” agreed the Baron, his own old wound throbbing in sympathy.

The Baron looked toward the doctor “While Miss Stroud is resting, perhaps we could take care of the necessary …” he meant pay the bill, but had the natural distain of the old European aristocracy toward having stoop and sully their hands with such matters. Usually a doctor would be retained by the family and any bills submitted at the end of the financial year. But in the Americas, he found that they preferred cash on the barrelhead.

As they opened the door, the form of Ho appeared and the Baron informed the chauffeur that they would be leaving shortly.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

This was all very new to Maude, and she wasn't really sure how much to charge, since, from what she understood from Grayson, the prices for this sort of thing were much more than they would be for a 'regular' client, but that was the price for anonymity, for having wounds treated without involving official records or notifications.

She named her price, and when it was paid -- in cash -- she felt a little thrill of avarice, immediately followed by a guiltless guilt at the idea of a profit from something that wasn't necessarily above-board...

But she had agreed, she needed to support her sister, and she needed a car, so there it was!

"Be sure to give me a call if that gets red, or if she develops a fever."  An infection would not be good, nor would their seeking follow-up care elsewhere.

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
183 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

After awhile, Gracie felt ready to leave, confident she could stay on her feet though her walking was done rather gingerly. Fortunately the pain killers hadn't worn off yet. She watched the Baron pay the bill (her bill) in cash. It had been quite expensive and that didn't help her as far as feeling guilty letting this gallant gentleman pay for her problem.

"Oh thank you again, I know you said it's no bother but still...." she sighed.

Before they turned to leave then, the doctor reminded her bad things could still happen and to be sure to get back in touch if the wound reddened or she got a fever.  She nodded, Johnnie had been shot once so she remembered how serious such things could be. And Johnnie had been a strong young man in his prime.

"Right and thanks again, Doctor. Maybe sometime we'll both be on horses riding on the same day," she smiled.

And with that, the pair joined Ho, the driver, outside and after easing into the back seat of the vehicle, off they went.

FINIS ?