Playing For Keeps

Started by Grace (Gracie) Stroud at Jul 22, 2020 6:01 PM
February 26, 1924
37 Posts

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
182 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

At the urging of the doctor, the man who had rescued her from the shooting scene now held her hand then stated, “You are being a very brave young woman, Grace.”

She barely nodded, it hurt to much to smile but she did whisper, "It's Gracie."

He continued on about some men would be screaming but seemed to be speaking to the doctor by then.

"Of course, they did not have the attentions of a beautiful lady doctor to assuage their agonies.”  

"Well, I'm certain Miss Gracie would prefer a handsome male doctor, and you are right, there are grown men who cry over the most minor of wounds."

"No, you're doin' just fine, Doctor," Gracie had no complaints so far, she was just glad she was getting medical assistance.

"This will take a minute or so, and it might make you feel lightheaded or even nauseated, but it's a sedative as well."

There was a poke, but nothing at all really. Not when you had a hole in your thigh.

"OK," she nodded.

Actually it all kind of happened without her really being aware of the change but it wasn't that long before the pain wasn't there anymore though all her thoughts were hazy. She closed her eyes and just laid there.

The next time she opened them, or at least was aware of opening them, it was all over it seemed. The man was sitting next to her, the doctor was moving about in the act of putting things away apparently.  She glanced down toward her leg but it was all bandaged, there was still the IV in her arm.

"Hello," was all she could think to say, things were still not clear but she did remember what had happened and how she got here. She wanted to say more but wasn't quite sure she could trust it would come out right at least for now.

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
50 Posts

"There are even rumors that we are descended from Hatuey, an early Taíno chief of Cuba, but that, my dear lady, is an entirely ridiculous hypothesis."

Tarazona wasn’t sure if Gracie was fully ‘out’ or just keeping as quiet and still as possible while Dr. Tillery ministered to her wound, but, apart from the steady rise and fall of her breasts, the pale, blonde, incredibly pretty girl looked to him like a corpse lying there in the splendor of her inert, ethereal beauty. It dragged him forcibly back to all those many years ago, to a cold, incense laden chapel in Europe, where he had sat beside another pale, blonde, incredibly beautiful young woman. But back then, there had been no rise and fall of the chest, and no reassuring talk from a skilled doctor; just the altogether un-reassuring, ancient chants of  superannuated clergymen.

Fate seemed to like playing with him. Everything he had done in the last six or seven years, he had done to distance himself from her memory, to forget her. Now here he was, reliving the scene with a live actress taking the part of his dead Lissie. And there was the rub. Her very similarity to the one he had lost made it impossible for him to know how he felt about the substitute. All he could be sure of was that, in her presence, his heart thumped, his brow grew clammy, his pulse raced, and he couldn’t help making compliments to other women, but could say nothing to her.

But now she stirred, and he resumed his avuncular manner toward the injured girl.  

The next time she opened them, or at least was aware of opening them, it was all over it seemed. The man was sitting next to her, the doctor was moving about in the act of putting things away apparently.  She glanced down toward her leg but it was all bandaged, there was still the IV in her arm.

"Hello," was all she could think to say, things were still not clear but she did remember what had happened and how she got here. She wanted to say more but wasn't quite sure she could trust it would come out right at least for now.

“Welcome back, Miss Stroud.” Said the Baron, rather stiffly. He had managed to call her Grace during the frantic race to the clinic, but she had admonished him to call her ‘Gracie’ which familiarity was somehow beyond him, his reflex action was to step further back. “I believe it is all over, is that not correct Doctor? How do you feel?” he asked and, realizing that he was still holding her hand, placed it gently on her stomach and gave it a pat, as one would a good pet.

“What will happen now, Doctor? Will Miss Stroud need to remain here, or can she be taken home? Or perhaps a private sanatorium where she may fully recover is in order?”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

When she heard Gracie's voice, Maude turned from the equipment she was cleaning and smiled.

"Good to see you back," she commented, then glanced at the man.  "Yes, it's over, and I'd like to keep her here until she is a little more awake, maybe an hour or so, but then she can go, if she can stand up...with help, of course."  Fully standing would not only assure Maude that the effects of the Morphine were wearing off, but that the young woman had sufficient blood volume to stay conscious.

"Bed rest for a couple days, of course."  Maude grinned.  "That means being waited on and and foot!  And watch for a fever, redness around the wounds.  Otherwise, I think she'll be just fine."

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
182 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

“Welcome back, Miss Stroud.” Said the Baron, rather stiffly. “I believe it is all over, is that not correct Doctor? How do you feel?” he asked and, realizing that he was still holding her hand, placed it gently on her stomach and gave it a pat.

Gracie really hadn't even noticed - about the hand holding. She had all she could do to concentrate on the conversation.

“What will happen now, Doctor? Will Miss Stroud need to remain here, or can she be taken home? Or perhaps a private sanatorium where she may fully recover is in order?”

Sanatorium? What was that? Like one of those places for people with really dangerous diseases? She was a bit alarmed at hearing that strange word.

"Good to see you back," the doctor commented, then glanced at the man.  "Yes, it's over, and I'd like to keep her here until she is a little more awake, maybe an hour or so, but then she can go, if she can stand up...with help, of course." 

Oh, that sounded better to Gracie who forced a smile, "Good, sounds good."

"Bed rest for a couple days, of course."  Maude grinned.  "That means being waited on and and foot!  And watch for a fever, redness around the wounds.  Otherwise, I think she'll be just fine."

Gracie blurted out, "I live alone in my apartment." A pause then she added, "I can find someone to check on me though."  Or just tough it out, the doctor didn't know her.

"Oh and Doctor, I might not be able to pay the whole bill right away but I promise, I'm good for it. I got a steady job," she wanted the woman to know.

Liked 1

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
50 Posts

"There are even rumors that we are descended from Hatuey, an early Taíno chief of Cuba, but that, my dear lady, is an entirely ridiculous hypothesis."

Gracie blurted out, "I live alone in my apartment." A pause then she added, "I can find someone to check on me though."  Or just tough it out, the doctor didn't know her.

The urbane man standing by her side shook his head. “Do not worry, doctor. I will ensure that this young lady is properly attended to. I will borrow one of my sister’s maids to wait on her with the hands and the feet!” The Baron’s English was excellent, and virtually accentless, but that particular idiom quite defeated him.

"Oh and Doctor, I might not be able to pay the whole bill right away but I promise, I'm good for it. I got a steady job," she wanted the woman to know.

Again, Tarazona intervened, wagging his finger with a slight tutting sound. “Please do not even consider the medical expenses, Miss Stroud. It was my decision to bring you to this private clinic, and so it will be my pleasure to take care of any trifling bills.” He frowned and nodded at the doctor, to reassure her that he was good for the tab.

“Now, would you like me to inform anybody about your unfortunate accident… your employer, perhaps, or any relatives, who may be worried about you? A friend? A fiancé?” he asked, hoping that the last option wasn’t too on the nose, although it was hard to believe that such a beautiful girl hadn’t been snapped up by some lucky sap.

Now he had a question for the doctor "Eh, Doctor, may I ask, if this redness or fever appear, should we bring the young lady back here, or do you make house calls?" 

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

Well, it seemed like the young woman was going to be seen after, whether she liked it or not, but at least for the next twenty-four hours, that was probably best.

And it was kind of the man to offer to pay her expenses, too...as a waitress, it would take her months to pay the bill, although Maude likely would have made arrangements.

"Whatever is easiest for you, sir," she answered to the gentleman's question, realizing that she hadn't learned his name yet.  "However, I don't have a car, nor a license."  She grinned.  "So if you need me at her residence it would be best if you sent a car, Mr..?"

Liked 1

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
182 Posts

“Do not worry, doctor. I will ensure that this young lady is properly attended to. I will borrow one of my sister’s maids to wait on her with the hands and the feet!”  

Gracie obviously hadn't expected that, "Oh, you don't have to do that."

And when she brought up her willingness to pay for all this, the man spoke up again, declaring he would cover all the expenses. My goodness!

"I don't imagine it will be trifling, mister...I'm sorry, Baron," she was remembering better now as the events of that rural afternoon were coming back to her.

"You are too kind," she fully admitted.

Suddenly there was a nagging thought in her mind but she quashed it - for now.

“Now, would you like me to inform anybody about your unfortunate accident… your employer, perhaps, or any relatives, who may be worried about you? A friend? A fiancé?” Tarazona inquired.

"I don't have any family. But yeah, probably should let my boss know I'm gonna miss a few shifts. I think he'll understand," she replied, still considering if she should contact Tommy Sloan.

"No fiancee, no," she decided to leave it at that for now. Tommy's job made it a probable issue for any connection between them to be found out. His superiors would not be happy.

Then the kindly foreigner and the doctor conversed so she just let them do so.

Liked 1

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
50 Posts

"I don't imagine it will be trifling, mister...I'm sorry, Baron," she was remembering better now as the events of that rural afternoon were coming back to her.

“Not another word on the matter, Miss Stroud, it is completely my pleasure.” the nobleman commanded airily. Compared to what he was spending on his expedition into the heart of the Everglades, the bill for Gracie’s leg would indeed be a trifle.

"You are too kind," she fully admitted.

The Baron smiled and playfully held a silencing finger to his lips as if to reiterate his 'Not another word on the matter.'

“Now, would you like me to inform anybody about your unfortunate accident… your employer, perhaps, or any relatives, who may be worried about you? Tarazona inquired.

"I don't have any family. But yeah, probably should let my boss know I'm gonna miss a few shifts. I think he'll understand," she replied, still considering if she should contact Tommy Sloan.

“I will certainly make him understand!” the Baron promised, perhaps a little bombastically, although it was always rather difficult to gauge just how seriously he took himself and his aristocratic airs. He wasn’t really too sure himself. "I will have someone contact the Restaurant on the ship."

“Now, anybody else? A friend? A … fiancé?” he queried.

"No fiancee, no," she decided to leave it at that for now. Tommy's job made it a probable issue for any connection between them to be found out. His superiors would not be happy.

“Ah good, er, I mean, really? That is rather surprising! The male population of Miami must be blind or, er, well… a little slow!” he commented with some feeling. “Still, I am sure that a beautiful young lady such as yourself must have a good many admirers, Miss Stroud, who will be distraught to hear of your unfortunate accident.”

Now he had a question for the doctor "Eh, Doctor, may I ask, if this redness or fever appear, should we bring the young lady back here, or do you make house calls?"

"Whatever is easiest for you, sir," she answered to the gentleman's question, realizing that she hadn't learned his name yet.  "However, I don't have a car, nor a license."  She grinned.  "So if you need me at her residence it would be best if you sent a car, Mr..?"

“Oh, how very remiss of me Doctor!” the Baron apologized, turning to her and drawing out a card which he presented with well-practiced elan “Barón Tarazona, at your service.”

“I must say, how very inconvenient for you to be without independent transportation, especially in your profession, Doctor. The taxi drivers here are the most horrible scoundrels, and will take you for a tour of Florida when you merely wish to travel two blocks away. You must obtain a licence and I will send my chauffeur around and show you how all the knobs and things work.”

“He has shown this thing to me, and it is not as difficult as it looks. Although, I must admit to being much happier on a horse.” At this he turned back to Gracie. “Do you ride, Miss Stroud? When you are fully recovered, you must let me take you riding: you would look quite magnificent mounted on a beautiful gray.”

Cat's Meow! 1

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Thank you for the offer, Baron," a real baron? "but Dr. Steele is going to give me lessons, and then I suppose I'll buy a car."  Something simple and basic, she didn't need the luxury of a Caddy...

"But in the mean time, if I'm required, please send a car."  She agreed about the taxi service in town, and actually preferred the buses, but only if she wasn't in a hurry.

Then she laughed.  "I rode a pony once, when I was at the fair.  I was six, and it was the best thing ever!"  As much as horses were a necessity to getting around, in a large city there was little need to actually own one, and choices for boarding them were limited.  "I wouldn't mind trying that again, but knowing my luck, I'd fall off and break a leg."

Liked 1

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
182 Posts

The Baron promised her he would make certain her place of employment would be notified of her 'accident'. Although once back, Gracie wouldn't lie about what happened, she would tell her boss she got shot. He also asked about if she had anyone else to contact like family or a fiancee. She certainly didn't forget about Tommy Sloan but was not going to bring him up, besides he was neither. But on the other hand he was certainly more than just a friend.

"Ah good, er, I mean, really? That is rather surprising! The male population of Miami must be blind or, er, well… a little slow!” he commented with some feeling. “Still, I am sure that a beautiful young lady such as yourself must have a good many admirers, Miss Stroud, who will be distraught to hear of your unfortunate accident.”

"Giving me a ride here, paying for all this, and now compliments too? You are simply too kind, Baron," she tried to smile.

The man spoke with the doctor then for a bit including introducing himself. The conversation veered off to cars and, surprisingly the doc didn't know how to drive? Granted a lot of women didn't but she was a doctor in a man's world so.... well none of her business.

“He has shown this thing to me, and it is not as difficult as it looks. Although, I must admit to being much happier on a horse.” At this the Baron turned back to her,“Do you ride, Miss Stroud? When you are fully recovered, you must let me take you riding: you would look quite magnificent mounted on a beautiful gray.”

"Ride a horse? I'm a city girl, always was. I never got within five feet of a real horse," the thought amused her for some reason but she added, "But you know what? I'd give it a shot... when I get better."

Another thing about living with Johnnie, he had given her a real sense of adventure. Riding a horse might just be grand fun.

Liked 1