Playing For Keeps

Started by Grace (Gracie) Stroud at Jul 22, 2020 6:01 PM
February 26, 1924
37 Posts

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

Mildred had ambitions, and ambitions cost money, so Mildred had been pleased when she had been given this job as receptionist at Dr. Steele's clinic.  She didn't know anything about medicine, short of the things that everyone learned just by living, but she had been assured that those sort of skills wouldn't be needed here, just her organizational ones, and there was a lady doctor here, and what better inspiration was there for a woman who was going to be a lawyer?

She'd been here barely a week when the man came bursting in carrying the girl and demanding a doctor, but Mildred wasn't the sort to panic, she just stood and came around from the desk, taking in the men's demeanor and the girl's pallor.

"This way," she directed, leading them to an exam room.  "Put her on the gurney please, and...she'll need to have her clothes removed."  While she hadn't been expressly instructed in emergencies such as this, she did know that the doctors wanted most patients essentially bare so they could be more easily examined.

She closed the door, then turned to fetch one of the doctors when she nearly collided with Maude.  "Oh!  I'm sorry, doctor."  Mildred was all business as she explained.  "A young woman was brought in just now, she appeared to be bleeding from the leg."

"Thank you, Mildred."  Maude nodded and smiled -- Grayson had done good hiring the girl -- then she knocked on the door before entering.

"Good afternoon.  I'm Doctor Tillery.  How can I help you?"

Liked 1

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
50 Posts

"There are even rumors that we are descended from Hatuey, an early Taíno chief of Cuba, but that, my dear lady, is an entirely ridiculous hypothesis."

"This way," she directed, leading them to an exam room.  "Put her on the gurney please, and... she'll need to have her clothes removed."  While she hadn't been expressly instructed in emergencies such as this, she did know that the doctors wanted most patients essentially bare so they could be more easily examined.

Calixto and his driver carried Grace into the room as directed and placed her gently onto the medical trolley. At the instruction to remove the injured girl’s clothes, the Baron gave an automatic and unthinking “Of course.” but he had hardly expected to receive such a directive. In normal circumstances, nothing would have pleased him more, but these were hardly normal circumstances, and he felt suddenly guilty at what he was about to do. At least Ho was there as a sort of disinterested chaperone. He ordered the Chinese looking man to take over the tourniquet duties and he tried to work out how Grace’s ripped dress ‘worked’.

“Grace, I am going to help you out of your dress, as the… er… that lady suggested.” He explained out loud, to validate his actions, and then cursed lightly as he fiddled with some small buttons which seemed almost glued into their corresponding loops at the side of the dress, which gave the fashionable wrap-around look to the garment.

As he carefully opened her dress, and gazed at her fashionably flat, but still noticeably heaving alabaster bosom, the beauty of which was more enhanced than shrouded by the light vest-like chemise that failed miserably in its duty to cover it, he felt the mixed emotions of brute desire, a higher sense of her pure beauty, and a sort of pity or empathy born of the knowledge that this is not how any woman would want to be observed, half naked, in pain, and in fear of her own life. He had suffered that feeling when in exactly the same situation two years ago.

“It is all right Grace, the doctor will be here any second now. How do you feel?” he asked, to assure her that she was being attended to by someone who cared, not just two total and indifferent strangers.

It was only with the considerable help of Ho’s spare hand that they were able to get Gracie up off the gurney a little to extricate the part of her dress that she was lying on. Even so, the whole operation was hardly a dignified affair for any of them. Now she lay there in flimsy undergarments, shoes and hose. “Let us remove your shoes next.” The Baron suggested, half-hoping that this didn’t go too far before the doctor arrived. While Ramon gently patted her shoulder as she lay, the Spanish man slid his hand around her shapely ankle and held it firm while tugging off one shoe, and then the next. They made a clonking sound as he placed them gently on the floor of the examination room.

He would need to peel down her silk stockings next, he supposed, but then the door opened.

It took the man a second to take it in, but Grace’s need was enough to override his surprise at a female doctor. Whether she would know enough about dealing with this sort of injury, well, she worked here, she likely would.

“There was a ‘hit’ in town, this girl has received a stray bullet in the thigh.” He explained as economically and as coolly as he could. Ho glanced at Tarazona, that’s not exactly what he had observed, and would tell his master as much when they were alone, but he was not about to mention it here and now.

“Please help her doctor, spare no efforts, no expense, I will pay whatever is necessary.” he insisted.

Loved 1 Wow! 1

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
182 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

There was another voice then after the man's shouting, she did not recognize it. Then she was being carried once more only to end up being gently deposited on some sort of bed? No table....like maybe a hospital table? God, it better not be!

“Grace, I am going to help you out of your dress, as the… er… that lady suggested.”

"Sure," Gracie gave a barely perceptible nod.

The man began working on the task, with yet another man there beside him...the driver...had to be? Where was that woman who had just been talking? Gracie remained calm, allowing the undressing to be finished. Next it was her shoes.

"Where are we again?" she asked softly between winces.

“It is all right Grace, the doctor will be here any second now. How do you feel?” 

"Uhh," she grimaced, "How do you think I feel? Oh shit, it hurts like hell"

Not exactly lady like language but least it was an honest answer.

Did the door just open? Gracie tried to focus past the discomfort.

A doctor, that was good! But that was a female voice? Gracie was confused.

“There was a ‘hit’ in town, this girl has received a stray bullet in the thigh.” 

“Please help her doctor, spare no efforts, no expense, I will pay whatever is necessary.”

Loved 1

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

There was no particular reason for Maude to doubt the story, and it really wasn't her place to question it, as long as she had the information she needed to treat the girl appropriately.  At least the majority of her clothes were off, which made her life easier...she had leaned not to just focus in on the main complaint.  A secondary, minor injury could easily be overlooked in the shadow of the pain and drama of something like a gun shot wound.

"Here you are, dear."  She draped a sheet over the girl's torso for modesty, quickly checked her pulse, noting from the rate and quality that shock hadn't set in yet, then turned her attention to the actual wound.

"How long ago did this happen?"  Although she hadn't shooed the men away -- she might need their help later -- she addressed the young woman.  "Was there anything else?  Did you fall?  Were you hit?  What is your name, dear?"

As she asked her questions, she carefully exposed the wound, looking it over before hastily covering it again.  Blood was still oozing, and now that she knew some of what she was dealing with, she could get the specific supplies she needed to take care of it.

Liked 1

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
182 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

The woman, Gracie could have sworn she had stated she was a doctor(?), then spread a sheet over her, well the top half, one had to be able to get at her upper leg. Right now she didn't really feel any embarrassment, just pain. She settled for a light nod. There were questions to answer though.

"How long ago did this happen?" 

"I don't know, an hour maybe," she didn't exactly have a watch nor even know how far the men drove to get to wherever the hell they were. Perhaps the men could be more helpful.

"Was there anything else?  Did you fall?  Were you hit?  What is your name, dear?"

"I...fell when I got hit. Yes.... I got hit in the leg," Gracie thought that an odd question.

"Gracie," the last question at least was simple enough to answer.

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
50 Posts

"There are even rumors that we are descended from Hatuey, an early Taíno chief of Cuba, but that, my dear lady, is an entirely ridiculous hypothesis."

Tarazona was clearly surplus to requirements but wanted to stay, nonetheless. Ho, however, he nodded to leave the room, as he was filling it up rather. Also, he didn’t really want the hire car leaving unattended outside the front door as there was blood on the seat and a Bergmann MP 18 submachinegun under the driver’s seat.

Ramon understood and clacked through the reception area in the jackboots that went with the ‘Russian general’s uniform’ that your upmarket chauffeur was expected to wear. He rather liked it, ll this dressing up, it appealed to his dramatic side and the strong silent oriental type the Baron liked him to assume was actually a sort of release. This is why people joined amateur dramatic groups, he supposed, or wrote stories. You actually became someone else for a while, without all the worries and cares of your real life bearing down upon your shoulders like some immense … dolorous … weight.

Sometimes, in the wee small hours of the morning, he wondered if he could just become the Chauffeur Ho all the time. Maybe Ramon could just disappear, melt into the bed and be absorbed into the mattress and, in the morning, he would wake up and be the poised, asexual, stoic, inscrutable Mister Ho, forever and all the time. But there was something stuck, immovable, in the very marrow of his bones that was Ramon, and that would always bring him back.

He moved the car. Checked the gun was still there. Cleaned the back seat. He sat in the driver’s seat, and watched the door. Stoically.

Ramon Ho

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"All right, Grace, I'll get this taken care of for you and you'll be right as rain in no time!"  Well, at least the bullet had gone through and there didn't seem to be any major structural damage, so it was a matter of stitching up the wounds.  "I'll give you something for the pain, too."

Once she was certain the girl's blood pressure was acceptable, she prepared an intravenous line, therapy rarely available outside a hospital, but Dr. Steele's 'connections' made sure they had the best available.  "I'm going to have to put a needle in your arm," she told the girl, "so I can give you some morphine."  She looked at the man who had remained in the room.  "You can hold her hand, maybe help with moral support?"

+++++++++

Mildred had seen the chauffeur go out, and a moment later she followed, smiling as she approached him.  "Sir, can I get you some coffee or something while you wait?"

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
182 Posts

"Gracie," she gently corrected the lady then nodded about the woman promising her something for the pain, "Oh yes, please!"

It was hard to concentrate it was so painful. She laid there then while the woman was checking her pulse and heart. Fortunately that was a quick process.

"I'm going to have to put a needle in your arm so I can give you some morphine." 

"Sure, go ahead," she wasn't scared of needles.

The doctor looked at the man who had remained in the room.  "You can hold her hand, maybe help with moral support?"

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
50 Posts

The doctor looked at the man who had remained in the room.  "You can hold her hand, maybe help with moral support?"

Despite the fact that he had just spent the hair-raising drive over here ripping off the blonde girl’s clothes, and generally having to manhandle her soft white flesh, Tarazona felt a trifle self-conscious holding Grace’s hand, as bidden by the doctor. But following the innate obedience that most people feel to a medic’s instructions, he moved nearer and took her hand, which was amazingly soft for someone who was perforce to do manual work. He seemed to remember that she was a waitress from their brief conversation in the car last month.

He felt he should say something, so he patted her hand with his free one, gave her what he hoped was an encouraging smile, and murmured something along the lines of “You are being a very brave young woman, Grace.”

He glanced up at the doctor and added “I have seen men with much lesser injuries than this in battle, screaming their heads off!” He didn’t mention that he would have been one of them, if he hadn’t passed out from the pain as soon as the Rif bullet had hit him.

“Of course, they did not have the attentions of a beautiful lady doctor to assuage their agonies.” he added, his Latin charm oozing out like the pus from a lanced boil.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Meanwhile, Ho was outside, enjoying a delicious cup of coffee and a plate of homemade cookies supplied by Mildred who, he discovered, was just doing this job to earn up money for law school. The consequences of this conversation were to be important and far reaching in many ways.

[Please see future Thread: 'Legal Beagles']

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Gracie...I'm sorry."  Names were one of Maude's weak points...she would likely forget the girl's name before she was done, that minor detail lost in the more important aspects of treating the patient. 

She blushed a little at the man's comment, but then laughed.  "Well, I'm certain Miss Gracie would prefer a handsome male doctor, and you are right, there are grown men who cry over the most minor of wounds."

As she spoke, she got the IV started and secured in place, then drew up the Morphine.  "This will take a minute or so, and it might make you feel lightheaded or even nauseated, but it's a sedative as well."  It wouldn't knock her out completely, but it was make it that she didn't care.

Giving the drug a few minutes to work, Maude made sure everything was all set up, then she got to work, her focus on what she was doing...

(Ya'll can get to the bandaging part if you'd like!)