An Evening At The Club Loreli

Started by Michael O'Rourke at Jul 15, 2020 12:01 PM
36 Posts

Michael O'Rourke

Racketee, smugler, gun runner
?Years Young
79 Posts

"Do not mistake my friendly demeanor for weakness."

Business interests overshadowed Michael's plans to get back to one Gracie Stroud with what information he had been able to get from Lenny, a nut case for sure. Never the less his calendar clear on the evening of Tuesday, Feb. 14th he got himself ready to head to the Club Lorelei for dinner, maybe some dancing and of course talking with Miss Stroud who he had yet to figure out.

Women presented a problem when weighed against men when information and that sort of thing was the topic of their conversation. Gracie, however, was a bit different, she seemed to be a bit more direct than most women in a similar situation, so he had hops that the identity of this Sylvester "Smiley" Cole was concerned. Not that he wanted to knock him off, he merely wanted to know how he fit into the murder of Johnny O’Doul.

His visit to Pembrook Pines still fresh in his memory, and undoubtedly would be for a while, added to his desire to get to the bottom of the whole sordid affair. Not that he actually had a connection to what happened, he had just innocently been included in the mess that followed. A pretty face, a couple of innocent remarks and questions, and bingo! Up to his eyelids in it.

He almost had doubts and he climbed the gangway to board the liner. He went through the normal boarding procedures and entered the somewhat crowded dining room.

Liked 1

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
134 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

Gracie spotted O'Rourke almost as soon as he entered. After he was seated by the floor manager, she approached the man and asked if she could take that table, saying they were distant cousins. The man nodded and assigned her the table then. The blonde then approached with menu in hand, placing it down on the pristine white tablecloth in front of the man.

"Evening, sir. I'll be your waitress. I'd introduce myself but you know who I am," she smiled.

"How's it goin', Mr. O'Rourke?" she proved she knew his then too, how could she forget given the last time they'd talked. She of course wondered if he was there as a followup (maybe with some info) or if he was just there to eat. It was interesting he was dining alone.

Michael O'Rourke

?Years Young
79 Posts

"Good to see you again, Gracie. Been quite the chase since we last spoke.” Michael said. “ Lenny, poor soul, locked away out at Pembrook Pines. You know, the nuthouse up by Hollywood?”

He smiled, “Walker Black and water no ice, and the porterhouse looks good.” His thought was to eat since he’d been on the run all day with other business. Then, given what time she may have, perhaps she could shed some light on Sylvester Cole and the rest of the merry band.

"I didn’t get a whole lot, but some, hopefully, we’ll have a few moments to possibly exchange info about all this.” Truth be told, after Pembrook Pines and Doctor Janos, he just as soon be done with this fiasco. But he had given his word, and he was not about to go back on it.

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
134 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

Gracie frowned, "Seriously?  I did not know that. You think he's fakin' it?"

On the other hand, who would fake being nuts and ending up then in an asylum? Unless there were very dangerous people out to kill Lenny? It would hardly be surprising if he made those kinds of enemies. Johnnie always did think there was something a little ... screwy ...about the guy.

The man gave his order next then, a whiskey and a porterhouse steak. She scribbled it on her pad then asked the usual questions about steak orders.

"How do you want it done? And for sides you want potatoes baked or mashed, salad, and bread?"

Once those were answered Michael requested, " I didn’t get a whole lot, but some, hopefully, we’ll have a few moments to possibly exchange info about all this.”

"Oh, definitely. I gotta a ten minute break coming up soon. Once your dinner shows up and I check on any of my other tables, I can take it then and we can chat. Lemme start you off with that drink of yours," she smiled.

Liked 1

Michael O'Rourke

?Years Young
79 Posts

“You’re a jewel, Gracie, a real jewel. Look forward to the chat. Michael said as he sat back looking around the room. A good-sized crowd on hand, not quite as busy as the last time he was in, but then it was a Tuesday night and there was always an ebb and flow on weeknights.

Lenny had been more than he had expected, the look in his eyes had sent chills up and down his spine and he backed up for no man. Yet there was something in those eyes that was beyond anything he’d ever seen, and he’d known some lunatics in his time.

That was behind him now, and he’d never have to go back there again. That Doctor didn’t seem to be wrapped to tight either. Just then, a sleek-looking redhead passed by and disrupted his thinking.

Liked 1

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
134 Posts

It wasn't that long before Gracie was back at Michael's table, his drink on a tray.

"Here you go, enjoy!" she flashed her best customer service smile. She couldn't stay though, not yet.

By the time she got her break, Michael's meal had arrived and he was enjoying it. She sidled up to the table yet again.

"How's the steak? And officially I'm on break for a bit now but I'm gonna stand if yer alright with that. It doesn't look right for the help to be sitting with the customers, you understand?"

"So, you saw Lenny then? You get a chance to actually talk to him? What'd he say?" she really did want to know.

Michael O'Rourke

?Years Young
79 Posts

"How's the steak? And officially I'm on break for a bit now but I'm gonna stand if yer alright with that. It doesn't look right for the help to be sitting with the customers, you understand?"

“Just aces, but that is usual for this place,” Michael responded, as it had been excellent. “Sure, sure, whatever you need to do is fine.”

"So, you saw Lenny then? You get a chance to actually talk to him? What'd he say?" she really did want to know.

“Yes I did see Lenny, strange place Pembrook Pines, but then that is true of the staff. Lenny is, well, a pretty bizarre character these days.” He began, “A lot of ranting and raving and hardly making any sense at all for most of the time. But, as the took him away he shouted out a name, Sylvester Cole. Ring any bells?”

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
134 Posts

Gracie always remembered Lenny as a bit ... well, odd at times. He would get this far away look on his face or babble something that didn't make sense. But other times he had seemed fine. Johnnie used him in his line of work so he must have felt the guy reliable enough? Still, O'Rourke had no reason to make this stuff up so she believed him.

"Flipped his wig huh? Rough luck for him then," Gracie shrugged.

But O'Rourke then revealed Lenny mentioned another man. One Gracie knew instantly of course.

"Sylvester? Oh yeah, most people never called him by his real name though, he hated that name. Smiley...we all said ..Smiley."

"He and Lenny were Johnnie's  men. Always liked Smiley," Gracie declared.

"You don't actually think Smiley killed Johnnie? No way. Johnnie saved his life once. I highly doubt it," she scoffed.

Michael O'Rourke

?Years Young
79 Posts

"Flipped his wig huh? Rough luck for him then," Gracie shrugged.

“The man’s not right in the head, not even close. I mean he might'a been a bit off before, but captivity and whatever else they might be doing with him, ain’t set well with him.” Michael stated flatly. "Don't think I'd be right in that place. Gave me the heebie-jebies and I could scram."

But O'Rourke then revealed Lenny mentioned another man. One Gracie knew instantly of course.

"Sylvester? Oh yeah, most people never called him by his real name though, he hated that name. Smiley...we all said ..Smiley."

"He and Lenny were Johnnie's  men. Always liked Smiley," Gracie declared.

"You don't actually think Smiley killed Johnnie? No way. Johnnie saved his life once. I highly doubt it," she scoffed.

“No, it's not that. Lenny was warning him, that is if I saw him. Said to tell him to look out “they” were out to bop him, whoever the hell “they” might be.” Michael said, because, he had no idea who iced johnny or where this Sylvester “Smiley” Cole might be. Fact was he was not to sure he cared to pursue this. If both Lenny and Smiley were Johnny’s men, then it might be outsiders that did him in. “So I donno what ta tell you. Maybe it’s a dead end.”

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
134 Posts

Well, the man sure made that asylum place sound scary and even if she had ever thought of going to visit Lenny (she had not) she certainly wouldn't risk going there now. Sure seemed like Lenny was a goner, lost in madness for good. Better him than her, Gracie reasoned.

"Thanks for the info, I ain't never gonna go there then," she declared with certainity.

The conversation moved on then to Johnnie's other gang member, Smiley, real name Sylvester Cole. Gracie immediately admitted she found Smiley the more likeable of the pair of men who had followed Johnie's leadership. Was O'Rourke thinking Smiley was behind her boyfriend's murder? Gracie really could not buy that idea and told him so.

"No, it's not that. Lenny was warning him, that is if I saw him. Said to tell him to look out “they” were out to bop him, whoever the hell “they” might be.”

"They huh? I have no idea who the 'they' are. Keep in mind he's nuts. He probably just is saying that kind of stuff. I didn't have a lot of faith in Lenny before you told me he's now in the nuthouse," she sighed.

“So I donno what ta tell you. Maybe it’s a dead end.”

"Fair enough," Gracie nodded, disappointed but yet not really surprised.  At least the man tried. And she was used to disappointment by now.

"Thanks for trying. I appreciate it. I hope it wasn't too much of a bother. It's not fair of me to drag you into my problems," she confessed.