Back to Work

Started by Daniel Kovach at Jul 02, 2020 2:56 PM
February 22, 1924
29 Posts

Daniel Kovach

Boxer
?Years Young
47 Posts

"In all things, be vigilant."   His father's favorite saying.

Oh, so that's what sort of a sportsman he was - fencing and polo. While at least Daniel knew what those were, he had zero experience with either.

"Swords and horses, can't say I'm familiar with either. Though some day I think I might like to try and ride a horse," Daniel commented.

And then shooting also. Dan wasn't sure about that one - target shooting of some kind he supposed. A man of many skills, impressive. Although he mentioned being shamed by being disqualified? Surprised he would bring that up Well, Dan was not going to ask, probably not the sort of thing a man might wish to talk about to a near stranger.

“But sister dear, aren’t you going to introduce us formally?” the man asked.

“Ugh!” Freda sighed, “All right, Mr. Daniel Kovach, may I introduce my brother, el Capitán Calixto, Barón y Tarazona, Baron, this is Mr. Daniel Kovach of Miami, the famous pugilist.” The Baron gave a deep bow.

"I'm really not that famous, I've won a few fights so far is all," Dan shrugged, that kind of praise made him uncomfortable more than proud.

“I am very pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Kovach, even though I lost $20 on that fight two weeks ago. You certainly gave that fellow a good thrashing, though. Townshend seems very confident you can do the same with this Kress fellow, too."  

"Nice to meet you too, sir. It wasn't a bad bet to make either, he was a damned good fighter. It could have went the other way," Dan pointed out.

"As for Kress, I hope so but there is a saying in our country - don't count your chickens before they're hatched," the young boxer reached for one of his father's many sayings.

Liked 1

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
31 Posts

"There are even rumors that we are descended from Hatuey, an early Taíno chief of Cuba, but that, my dear lady, is an entirely ridiculous hypothesis."

"I'm really not that famous, I've won a few fights so far is all," Dan shrugged, that kind of praise made him uncomfortable more than proud.

“Ah, I’m afraid that thanks to your friend Snub Callahan, the reporter, you are pretty famous in Miami at least. What did he call you? ‘The Shy Fighter’? Ha! Having met you, I would say modest rather than shy, and that is a sobriquet to be proud of.” he said, his face serious.

“Either way, I am very pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Kovach, even though I lost $20 on that fight two weeks ago. You certainly gave that fellow a good thrashing, though. Townshend seems very confident you can do the same with this Kress fellow, too." 

"Nice to meet you too, sir. It wasn't a bad bet to make either, he was a damned good fighter. It could have went the other way," Dan pointed out.

The Baron shrugged. “Yes, he was all right, wasn’t he? Just a little predictable, but you seemed to work out his game plan pretty quickly, and then made him a little angry, I think, in order to make him reckless. Our sports are maybe not too dissimilar after all: as much about outclassing your opponent’s mind and spirit, as well as his physical body. Oh, and the money: I made it back on the next fight, even though it caused a riot when the crowd realised it was a complete fix.” He chuckled.

“You weren’t laughing about it the next day when you turned up with a beautiful black eye.” Chimed in his sister.

As per usual, the Baron just shrugged off his sister’s always somewhat acidic comments. He was more interested in Daniel.

“And this next opponent? Your chances are good, yes?” he asked.

"As for Kress, I hope so but there is a saying in our country - don't count your chickens before they're hatched," the young boxer reached for one of his father's many sayings.

“Ah!” smiled the Baron “We have a very similar saying in Spain, except: they are Spanish Chickens.”

Freda rolled her eyes, Calixto and his “Old Spain” obsession! He’d spent almost as little time in the country as she had.

“But tell me, Mr. Kovach, how are you family reacting to this new found ‘not very famous’ fame?”

That was the difference between the siblings: to Freda most people were just bodies, objects that were bad at some things (dancing and making conversation, in Daniel’s case) and good at other things (again, in Daniel’s case, boxing and sex: she disdained to call it ‘making love’) They were either useful or entertaining to her, or not.

The Baron was actually interested in other people: their mind, their soul, call it what you will. He was naturally empathetic, and could imagine looking out of the other fellow’s eyes.

Daniel Kovach

Boxer
?Years Young
47 Posts

Daniel shook his head, "That reporter ain't my friend. But I can't stop him from writing whatever he wants."

He did smile then though, "Modest does sound better than shy, thanks."

It was plain that this man understood the tactics and thoughts behind even a boxing match, it wasn't just rush the other guy and start swinging like some folks figured. Good to hear he got his lost bet money back that same night although part of his explanation was news to Dan. Apparently it got the guy a black eye though too?

"That fight was fixed? How do you know that, if I might ask?" Dan wasn't naive, he knew those kinds of things were done. But usually only those IN on the fix knew about them.

"But tell me, Mr. Kovach, how are you family reacting to this new found ‘not very famous’ fame?”

"My father is real happy for me, neither of my parents were in favor of me doin' this kind of thing. My mother worries I will get seriously hurt or even killed in a fight," Dan related.

"I gave 'em half my winnings though, they like that part - least wise they haven't turned it down yet," he smiled.

Loved 1

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
31 Posts

"There are even rumors that we are descended from Hatuey, an early Taíno chief of Cuba, but that, my dear lady, is an entirely ridiculous hypothesis."

"That fight was fixed? How do you know that, if I might ask?" Dan wasn't naive, he knew those kinds of things were done. But usually only those IN on the fix knew about them.

“Oh, I didn’t know until I watched it, I just happened to have bet against the favourite. But the fellow who went down: oh, it was one of the worst acting performances I have ever seen in my life, and I have attended a performance of the Miami Amateur Dramatics Society!”

The mention of that particular troupe drew a disgusted “Urgghh!” from Freda, who was occupying her time bouncing herself against the ropes.

"But tell me, Mr. Kovach, how are your family reacting to this new found ‘not very famous’ fame?”

"My father is real happy for me, neither of my parents were in favor of me doin' this kind of thing. My mother worries I will get seriously hurt or even killed in a fight," Dan related.

“Ah, that is a true mother’s love.” nodded the Baron, and was that a slight and slighting glance he shot at his sister? “The trick is, to get out of the game while you are still on top, I think, and have a second occupation to fall back on. I’m certainly getting a little too old for the polo field now, I think: one of these days I’m going to do myself a mischief.”

"I gave 'em half my winnings though, they like that part - least wise they haven't turned it down yet," he smiled.

“Every little extra helps!” agreed the Baron “What does your father do for a living, Mr. Kovach, if that is not an impertinent question?”

Daniel Kovach

Boxer
?Years Young
47 Posts

So he really wasn't certain then the fight was fixed, simply that the man took a dive and was a terrible actor about faking it. Well, Daniel had not actually watched the fight so he didn't know for certain. Interesting theory though. But, in the end, none of his business.

“Ah, that is a true mother’s love.” nodded the Baron, and was that a slight and slighting glance he shot at his sister? “The trick is, to get out of the game while you are still on top, I think, and have a second occupation to fall back on. I’m certainly getting a little too old for the polo field now, I think: one of these days I’m going to do myself a mischief.”

"Yes, I've heard that from others too, don't stay in the trade for too long. You take too many shots to the head and it will change you and not for better. Punch drunk. That sort of thing. So I get it but I'm still early into my career, only got a few fights under my belt so far. I want to make some decent money before I get out....but thanks for the advice, sir," Daniel explained his take on things.

What does your father do for a living, Mr. Kovach, if that is not an impertinent question?”

"He's a butcher, works in a big shop on Linderly Avenue. Learned his trade from his father but told me I should do something different... better for my life. Though I'm pretty sure he did not mean taking up boxing ... but I did,"Dan smiled.

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
31 Posts

"Yes, I've heard that from others too, don't stay in the trade for too long. You take too many shots to the head and it will change you and not for better. Punch drunk. That sort of thing. So I get it but I'm still early into my career, only got a few fights under my belt so far. I want to make some decent money before I get out....but thanks for the advice, sir," Daniel explained his take on things.

The Baron shrugged and smiled.

“Oh, Calixto’s full of good advice.” Chimed in Freda. “He’s just not very good at taking it.”

This time the Baron smiled and shrugged.

“What does your father do for a living, Mr. Kovach, if that is not an impertinent question?”

"He's a butcher, works in a big shop on Linderly Avenue. Learned his trade from his father but told me I should do something different... better for my life. Though I'm pretty sure he did not mean taking up boxing ... but I did,"Dan smiled.

“Ah, a case of ‘be careful what you wish for’ eh? But you should invite your father to your next fight on the boat.” He held up a hand to forestall what he imagined would be Daniel’s knee jerk dismissal of this idea. “Don’t say ‘no’ yet, Mr. Kovach, have a think about it and ask him. I would dearly love to have had my father be able to come and see me fence or shoot or ride, I think it would have given me an extra impetus, you know. Maybe I would have filled that medal space on my uniform” he joked.

“That would be rather fun!” agreed Freda “It’ll be ‘like father like son’ when you make mincemeat out of this Kress fellow.

Daniel Kovach

Boxer
?Years Young
47 Posts

“Oh, Calixto’s full of good advice.” Chimed in Freda. “He’s just not very good at taking it.

Daniel smiled, "My father would have another saying similar to that. Oh so it's do what I say, not what I do."

The man was curious about Dan's father so he answered the inquiry willingly enough. That led to this fellow suggesting that Dan should invite his father on the cruise to witness his fight. Sounded good in theory but....the man didn't know Dan's parents.

"No, he'd never agree. He would tell me  'and leave Mama behind?' He wouldn't go on such a trip without her. And Ma would never set foot on a ship. She doesn't like to travel and told me once she hated the last time she was on a ship. But that's alright. And honestly, if I'm not the one who wins and Kress beats me to a pulp, I wouldn't want them witnessing it."

Calixto

Barón y Tarazona
?Years Young
31 Posts

"No, he'd never agree. He would tell me  'and leave Mama behind?' He wouldn't go on such a trip without her. And Ma would never set foot on a ship. She doesn't like to travel and told me once she hated the last time she was on a ship. But that's alright. And honestly, if I'm not the one who wins and Kress beats me to a pulp, I wouldn't want them witnessing it."

"Oh, but you're definitely going to win. Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be for me if you lose?!" pointed out Mrs von Epp with the unerring logic of the self-interested.

The Baron was much more concerned with Daniel's feelings. "Of course, if it would make either of them uncomfortable, you must not even mention it to them at all. The feelings of one's parents are of the utmost importance in life." he commented, almost sentimentally, although his sister only grunted at the notion. 

"Well, we'd better let you get on with it" sighed Freda, I've got a business meeting and Calixto's probably got some dusty old Inca parchment to translate." She bounced herself off the ropes and clambered down the other side of the ring, the Baron offering her a hand down as a matter of course.

"Actually, I think that I will get some shooting practice in. Mr. Kovach's good example of assiduous training is having an exemplary affect on me." the man smiled.

"Copycat!" countered Freda, grabbing her hat, gloves and crop from the chair.

"Until we meet again, Mr. Kovach." the baron bid farewell.

Wayfarer

39Years Young
307 Posts

OOC: Good place to wrap this one up!  Fun thread too, thanks.

I will archive this one soon.

Liked 1