Back to Work

Started by Daniel Kovach at Jul 02, 2020 2:56 PM
February 22, 1924
29 Posts

Daniel Kovach

Boxer
?Years Young
47 Posts

"In all things, be vigilant."   His father's favorite saying.

Townsend seemed to think he was not only in charge of the training but also the humor, Daniel valued his boxing experience but had no intention of losing out on his god given right to joke around. Besides he suspected the man was far more bark than bite. Jessop liked his sense of humor, Dan assuming that 'precocious' was a positive thing. Though he didn't talk about it much, Dan only had a grade school education.

Once both young pugilists were in the ring, Dan assumed a more serious mien and also his proper boxing stance, fists up on defense.

All right, let’s have a dance. Jessop, give him some hooks. Kovach, block ‘em if you have to, but try and step out of them.”

Dan nodded and the two of them started up. Jessop wasn't bad really, he was pretty quick, he knew how to shorten the punches when you were supposed to, he knew how to throw head fakes, in short he knew his stuff. Dan was able to dodge most of Jessop's attempts, block a few but one or two got thru as was inevitable. It was hard to tell how much power the guy had due to the overstuffed sparring gloves but then the other young man would apologize!

"Don't worry about it," Dan shook his head.

Eventually the trainer barked at them to just free box, like a real fight would be, only without the intent to knock the other guy's block off. The pair of them both worked up a good sweat. Both landed point scoring blows, both dodged and ducked, and yes on occasion they left themselves open to a sudden counterpunch, not really delivered though because .... well, this was a practice.

Finally Dan huffed, "You know this is way longer than an actual round." A subtle hint it was not, they could use a rest.

George Townshend

Boxing Coach
?Years Young
22 Posts

"... and if one of his gloves touches you, it'll knock your bleedin' block off!"

Finally Dan huffed, "You know this is way longer than an actual round." A subtle hint it was not, they could use a rest.

“Oh!” replied Townshend from his favourite position hanging onto the ropes on the outside of the ring, “How sad! Never mind! Please do carry on.” he said sarcastically.

Jessop managed his slow smile between gasping for breath, he was even sweatier and more tired than Dan. “I think you just earned us ten more minutes.” he joked.

Whether Townshend would have kept them going that much longer, or was just fooling with them, they would never know. He suddenly growled a low “Oh shit, that’s all we need.” And then ordered them to desist their pugilistic practicing. “All right fellers, take five minutes, we have visitors.”

At the doorway were four figures: Oliver Glancoe, one of the gym owners, good old Ho, resplendent in his chauffeur’s uniform, and a nattily dressed man whom Daniel might, on the off chance, have remembered as Mrs von Epp’s brother from a photograph in her apartment - if he could remember much at all about the night following his victory in the ring two weeks ago. The fourth figure was Mrs von Epp herself, clad in an elegantly cut, but eminently practical riding habit. Whereas the men congregated near the entrance to the gym, talking, the lady was striding purposefully toward the boxing ring, smiling wolfishly and slapping her riding crop rhythmically against the side of her boot as she did so.

“I’ll go and see what she wants.” Frowned the trainer. “Towel him down, Jess.” he ordered Dan’s sparring partner to do the necessary and jumped off the ropes.

Jessop narrowed his eyes, like a mongoose spotting a rattler “Who is that lady, Daniel?” he asked the other boxer.

"Mrs von Epp, on her high horse, as per usual."

Liked 1

Daniel Kovach

Boxer
?Years Young
47 Posts

Daniel asked for a break, like in a real fight they'd do between rounds, this had dragged on far longer but George was in no mood to grant it so they continued. He certainly wasn't going to argue, George was his trainer. Jessop pointed out him even asking probably tacked on ten minutes. Dan shrugged then  dodged a left hook.

“Oh shit, that’s all we need.” George suddenly ordered them to desist their pugilistic practicing. “All right fellers, take five minutes, we have visitors.”

Well, this time especially Dan was not going to argue and gladly lowered his gloves. Visitors huh? He looked the same direction as their trainer. There were a quartet of figures, a couple quite familiar to him alright. The gym owner and none other than Mrs. von Epps. Not the person he expected to visit a gym alright?

The men were talking but not Mrs. Epps, she was approaching like she owned the place, like she owned Daniel almost. She had that 'take charge' look about her.

“I’ll go and see what she wants.” Frowned the trainer. “Towel him down, Jess.” he ordered Dan’s sparring partner to do the necessary and jumped off the ropes.

Dan nodded and waited then. He wasn't going to go for his robe, it's not like she hadn't seen him mostly undressed before...OK, completely undressed.

Jessop narrowed his eyes, like a mongoose spotting a rattler “Who is that lady, Daniel?” he asked the other boxer.

"That is Mrs. von Epps, I recently met her. Interesting woman," he had to admit with a wry smile.

Actually though his fond memories were more about Nanette, the woman's cute maid. If Mrs. von Epps could be considered a tigress, Nanette would be more the adorable frisky kitten.

Loved 1

Fredegund von Epp,

Wife of the International Arms Dealer, Gustav Adolph, Graf von Epp
?Years Young
15 Posts

"We can all feather our nests, Herr Ambassador, but its not just anyone who can lay an egg."

"That is Mrs. von Epps, I recently met her. Interesting woman," he had to admit with a wry smile.

Freda’s talk with George Townshend must have been short and to the point, because seconds later he was walking over to the group at the door and she, flinging her gloves, hat and riding crop onto a nearby chair, was clambering up the rigging of the boxing ring with all the vim and dexterity of Douglas Fairbanks climbing the ship’s rigging in the Crimson Pirate. That she had never done this before was clear, for, despite her nimbleness, she still managed get caught astraddle of one of the taught ropes, which dug into her between the legs. Mrs von Epp just laughed herself over and out of it. “Well, that’s an interesting sensation!” she commented as she cocked a leg over and got herself into the ring. It was not a feat she could have done modestly, had she not been wearing riding jodhpurs. Those, along with her blouse and her boots made her look trim and athletic, not at all like the statuesque Grande Dame that she usually presented to the world.

She looked George Jessop up and down and, despite her penchant for young muscular men, decided she didn’t like him. She whisked the towel out of his hands and dismissed him with a curt “I’ll do that, Glancoe wants to talk to you.” Whether he believed that lie or not, he nodded acquiescence and, giving Daniel his trademark slow smile, quitted the ring.

That left Freda and Daniel alone for the first time since he had slept over at her secret apartment. She circled around the ring for a few seconds, taking it in. “So, this is where you work?” she asked rhetorically, imagining being up there on a fight night, looking down into a sea of bloodthirsty faces. “It must be quite a thrill, winning or losing at the center of everyone’s attention in a charnel house like this. Like being a gladiator at the Coliseum. Death or Glory!” she imagined, closing her eyes and taking in good long sniff of the smell, or if you will, the atmosphere of the place.

Then she turned round, and looked at Daniel. “Oh, but I’m meant to be rubbing you off, or toweling you down or something, aren’t I, darling?” she smiled, her sharp little teeth glowing white between her dark red bee-sting lip rouge.

She strode over to him, her riding boots sounding heavy on the canvas, and started to dab him with the towel. “Like this?” She asked “Or do you like it rougher?” she rubbed his shoulders, back and chest with the material and inhaled. “Mmmm, you smell of sweat, and I stink of horses, we make a good team, don’t we?” She knelt down in front of him as he sat on his little stool, the better to mop his chest and what little showed of his stomach above the big baggy shorts, only glancing up to his eyes for a second.

“You haven’t been in contact since that night when we danced together in my apartment. I though you might call me or send flowers or something.” she teased. Frankly, she’d been relieved. Freda was like a man: once she’d had her wicked way with somebody, she usually lost interest in them. That said, if they were as good in the sack as Daniel had been, she wasn’t averse to going back for seconds: like someone going back for more of their favorite dish, even though they were full.

Her feelings toward him now? Pretty much the same as her feelings toward the racehorse she part owned, Good Boy. A mixture of pride in his athletic prowess, a sense of owning something precious, and of wanting that possession to fulfill its potential. There was money to be made on the side, sure, but that aspect of it all was of little consequence to Freda. More important was a sort of girlish affection, like a teenaged girl might have for a sweet doe-eyed pet pony. Finally, of course, in both Good Boy and Daniel’s case, there was the happy memory of having once had a good ride on the animal.

“I’d started to think you didn’t like me.” she added, just to enjoy hearing him try and get out of the accusation. Then she’d let him off the hook.

Daniel Kovach

Boxer
?Years Young
47 Posts

Whatever was said, Mrs. von Epps wasn't slowed much by her progress straight over to the ring. Daniel didn't say anything as she then clambered upon the structure then wrangled thru the ropes with a determination of someone on a mission. Dan didn't know if he should grin or be alarmed so he settled for no reaction at all til she was standing in front of him.

"Good morning, ma'am," he nodded. Before he could even introduce George, the woman had dismissed him and grabbed the towel from the other boxer who obeyed without complaint. It was now the two of them.

“So, this is where you work?” she asked.

"Pretty much, yeah," he nodded.

It must be quite a thrill, winning or losing at the center of everyone’s attention in a charnel house like this. Like being a gladiator at the Coliseum. Death or Glory!"

"Well, I've had some of the glory part - managed to avoid the death stuff though," he quipped.

He joked about it but every boxer knew it could happen. Men died from the beatings they took on rare occasions.

“Oh, but I’m meant to be rubbing you off, or toweling you down or something, aren’t I, darling?”

"You don't have to, I'm good," he didn't want her to fuss, she was this high society lady, this swell - way above his station in life.

Didn't matter though for she had it in her mind to towel him off it seemed so she started. A few dainty dabs but soon she was rubbing his shoulders, his torso all the while being more than a little suggestive.

"Not too rough no, I got more practicing to do yet. My trainer isn't fond of interruptions," he answered.

"You haven’t been in contact since that night when we danced together in my apartment. I though you might call me or send flowers or something.”

"Oh? Sorry 'bout that. I didn't know that's what was expected of me. I didn't ...I don't have much experience with ...ummm," he almost said 'date' but that night was sure not one of those. In fact he had no idea what exactly he should label it as so the sentence died right there.

“I’d started to think you didn’t like me.”

"No, it's not that. You're a nice lady. And Nanette, her too. She's OK, I take it?" he replied.

Loved 1 Cat's Meow! 1

Fredegund von Epp,

?Years Young
15 Posts

"We can all feather our nests, Herr Ambassador, but its not just anyone who can lay an egg."

"Not too rough no, I got more practicing to do yet. My trainer isn't fond of interruptions," he answered.

“Oh, Townshend can have you all to himself again in a minute.” she shrugged.

"You haven’t been in contact since that night when we danced together in my apartment. I though you might call me or send flowers or something.”

"Oh? Sorry 'bout that. I didn't know that's what was expected of me. I didn't ...I don't have much experience with ...ummm," he almost said 'date' but that night was sure not one of those. In fact he had no idea what exactly he should label it as so the sentence died right there.

“Not much experience with ‘um’? You seemed plenty experienced with ‘um’ the other night, Daddy.” she smiled happily at the memory of it. “And then nothing: I’d started to think you didn’t like me.”

"No, it's not that. You're a nice lady. And Nanette, her too. She's OK, I take it?" he replied.

Freda stopped toweling for a second and raised both eyebrows “Nanette?!” Fair play, she’d been teasing him, and he had quite turned the tables on, and wrong-footed her. Nanette, eh?

She nodded, stood up, and threw the towel over his shoulders with a grin. “You’re all right, Kovach, and I’m just kidding about the flowers. Save them and send them to Nanette. But don’t go stealing her way from me, good maids are hard to find.” She knew that she couldn’t have it both ways, it was a nuisance having men falling all over her, but she was also slightly miffed when they didn’t!

Then she got down to business.

“The main reason I came was to tell you that Bramwell’s fixed up an opponent for the Boat Fight. Er…” The fighter in question had the temerity to possess an eminently forgettable name. The cool aristocrat leaned her body against the ropes and bellowed across to the group at the door in a foreign language. She seemed a different woman when she spoke in that hot Iberian tongue.

“Ei, Calixto! Com es diu aquell boxeador?” she interogated her brother, the Baron.

He shouted something back in the same language, and Townshend could be heard to exclaim “Ha! We’ll murder ‘im!”

“Somebody called Carl Kress: apparently he was champion in Florida a couple of years ago but didn’t defend his title. He wants to make a comeback now. He has all the qualities we need for the bout on the ship: he’s a well-known name, has a title, he’s white, and he'll put up a good fight. All you have to do is beat him.” said Mrs von Epp, blithely.

Daniel Kovach

Boxer
?Years Young
47 Posts

Instantly Daniel realized just perhaps he shouldn't have brought up the quirky cutesy maid of the lady in front of her? Too late though.

Freda stopped toweling for a second and raised both eyebrows “Nanette?!”

Daniel attempted a bit of deflection, "Um, yeah, that was her name, right?"

The woman nodded, stood up, and threw the towel over his shoulders with a grin. “You’re all right, Kovach, and I’m just kidding about the flowers. Save them and send them to Nanette. But don’t go stealing her way from me, good maids are hard to find.”

"Oh... umm, sure. I mean I can't afford any maid, that's for sure. And she loves working for you," Daniel assured the woman, whether the last part was true he had no clue though. She DID seem happy enough though.

But Mrs. von Epps had came for something other than an excuse to paw all over him and talk of the 'good ol' days'. Surprisingly the subject turned to boxing!

"The main reason I came was to tell you that Bramwell’s fixed up an opponent for the Boat Fight. Er…” 

She apparently forgot the man's name but shouted out to someone he didn't know and in a language he was also ignorant of. She got her answer though. He also noted his trainer seemed confident?

"Somebody called Carl Kress: apparently he was champion in Florida a couple of years ago but didn’t defend his title. He wants to make a comeback now. He has all the qualities we need for the bout on the ship: he’s a well-known name, has a title, he’s white, and he'll put up a good fight. All you have to do is beat him.”  

"Oh, I heard of him, yeah. Never saw him fight though," Daniel was a bit alarmed that the man was an ex-champion though. You had to be pretty damn good to advance to champion. Hopefully, he had waited too long before this comeback of his and he was washed up? Somehow he doubted that. Why was Townsend so upbeat about this, he normally never was.

"Well, I certainly will try to beat the guy, that's the sport afterall," Daniel was not one of those braggarts who promised victory.

Fredegund von Epp,

?Years Young
15 Posts

Freda thought it delicious that the young man with the Adonis-like muscles and handsome face thought that she thought that Daniel wanted Nanette for her dusting skills! Maids usually only left a decent employer for one reason: to get married.

"Oh, I heard of him, yeah. Never saw him fight though," Daniel was a bit alarmed that the man was an ex-champion though. You had to be pretty damn good to advance to champion. Hopefully, he had waited too long before this comeback of his and he was washed up? Somehow he doubted that. Why was Townsend so upbeat about this, he normally never was.

“Oh good, he’s quite famous, then?” Bramwell certainly knew his stuff. She quite liked watching two half naked men beating the Hell out of each other, but she was hardly a boxing aficionado.

“Well, I certainly will try to beat the guy, that's the sport afterall," Daniel was not one of those braggarts who promised victory.

“Well, that’s the sort of rabid fighting talk I like to hear!” cried Mrs von Epp, shaking her little fist in the air, though the sarcasm was probably lost on Daniel. She loved that, though, his innocence. She had to deal with so many worldly wise, cynical old souls, with worn out morals every day.  Daniel was a refreshing change from that. She almost felt sorry for having somehow sullied him for her own base needs. Still, he hadn’t seemed to have minded it at the time.

She shouted something in Catalan again, and the neatly, if conservatively, dressed man in his what? Early thirties? Walked over.

“I want you to meet my nutty brother” she explained to Daniel “He’s a fellow sportsman, you two should get on.” Actually, when someone said that to her, she usually took an instant dislike to the person she was meant to like, but it was seemed all right to her for her to set people up for a fall like that.

The man approached and, looking up at the two of them in the ring, immediately admonished his sister.

“Fredegund, you know that these gentlemen want to get on with their training!”

Daniel Kovach

Boxer
?Years Young
47 Posts

All Daniel could promise was that he would certainly try his best to win.

“Well, that’s the sort of rabid fighting talk I like to hear!” cried Mrs von Epp, shaking her little fist in the air.

Dan grinned, "I am positive I don't have rabies, ma'am."

The gentleman Mrs von Epp was talking with now approached the ring also, a smallish dapper sort. Dan wondered if this one was another man she bedded? Turned out he was quite wrong.

"I want you to meet my nutty brother” she explained to Daniel “He’s a fellow sportsman, you two should get on.”

"Ohh, sure. Nice ta meet ya," Dan nodded acknowledgement.

“Fredegund, you know that these gentlemen want to get on with their training!”

"It's quite alright, sir. We could use the break, he had us working pretty hard. So I don't mind," Dan assured the man.

Dan wasn't sure why her brother was  'nutty', he looked normal enough but he also was supposedly a sportsman.

"You interested in boxing? Or maybe once were one?" he couldn't help but be curious.

Calixto

BarĂ³n y Tarazona
?Years Young
31 Posts

"There are even rumors that we are descended from Hatuey, an early Taíno chief of Cuba, but that, my dear lady, is an entirely ridiculous hypothesis."

"It's quite alright, sir. We could use the break, he had us working pretty hard. So I don't mind," Dan assured the man.

“Yes, I have seen Mr. Townshend training other boxers, he doesn’t stint.” grinned the other man easily, he had the relaxed attitude of a man-about-town.

"You interested in boxing? Or maybe once were one?" he couldn't help but be curious.

“Oh, I like to keep my opponents at arm’s length, I fence a little and shoot. A little polo, too.” He shrugged, modestly.

“Oh, Daniel, he’s being shy! Calixto fenced for Spain at the Olympics, didn’t you dear? But he didn’t win anything. We’d made a special space on his uniform for his medals, too.” pouted Freda, sarcastically. Like many brothers and sisters, they habitually made fun of each other.

The man gave a tight smile, pretending to be annoyed at this jibe. “Oh, you’re selling me short Fredegund dear, I also didn’t win medals for polo and shooting. But, to be fair to myself, I would have taken Gold for the last one, if I hadn’t brought shame on the family name by being disqualified.”

He up looked at his sister and the young boxer, as if something was amiss.

“But sister dear, aren’t you going to introduce us formally?” he asked.

“Ugh!” Freda sighed, “All right, Mr. Daniel Kovach, may I introduce my brother, el Capitán Calixto, Barón y Tarazona, Baron, this is Mr. Daniel Kovach of Miami, the famous pugilist.” The Baron gave a deep bow.

“I am very pleased to make your acquaintance, Mr. Kovach, even though I lost $20 on that fight two weeks ago. You certainly gave that fellow a good thrashing, though. Townshend seems very confident you can do the same with this Kress fellow, too.” he confirmed.