What Makes You Strong

Started by Maude Tillery at Jun 30, 2020 12:39 AM
February 21, 1924
27 Posts

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Id' like to find him, too, but I wager he's in the Bahamas, lounging under a palm tree and sipping my money!"  She actually managed a smile, then sighed.  "Maybe tomorrow we can go by Pembroke, I can talk to Mr. Janos, maybe he'll be open to negotiating.  We can look at other places, but change is so hard on Sarah...she was always emotionally frail, and now..."  She shook her head.  It was best to let Sarah stay put if that was possible.

"So, what will I expect from working with your clients?"  She took a sip of the lemonade, her hand far more steady now.  "Will I be meeting them?"  Maybe she had to sign a pact in blood or something?

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

"Id' like to find him, too, but I wager he's in the Bahamas, lounging under a palm tree and sipping my money!"  She actually managed a smile, then sighed.  "Maybe tomorrow we can go by Pembroke, I can talk to Mr. Janos, maybe he'll be open to negotiating.  We can look at other places, but change is so hard on Sarah...she was always emotionally frail, and now..."  She shook her head.  It was best to let Sarah stay put if that was possible.

“Then tomorrow it is, a bit late today to drive up there.” Greyson agreed. “What is it, thirty-five forty miles? Yes, tomorrow is the better choice. As to Mister Lang, as I said, I’ll make a couple of inquiries.”

"So, what will I expect from working with your clients?"  She took a sip of the lemonade, her hand far more steady now.  "Will I be meeting them?"  Maybe she had to sign a pact in blood or something?

“For emergency visits to address their wounds, we treat them as we would anyone else. Remove the bullet, or simply stitch up cuts or stab wounds as necessary. If surgery is required we will attend to that. Interaction is really at a minimum.” Greyson explained. “If the patient has to remain here, then we have the recovery rooms available.”

He smiled at her then, “We are paid in advance, for gunshot wounds the cost may run to $1,000 or even $1,800. Lesser injuries generally $500 to $800. These re the costs they have agreed to, prices they have set based solely on their experience. You will see some of these fellows for normal maladies, colds, fevers, checkups for which they pay $75 to $100. These payments are made upfront. No records are kept. Once the costs of supplies are deducted, the rest is pure profit.” 

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

Had she heard right?  A thousand dollars was close to three months pay, there was a lot she could do with that much money, but there was still the issue of ill-gotten gains.  But then, Grayson was right, someone would be treating those injuries anyway, so why not..?

Finally, she nodded, taking another swig of the lemonade, then let out a breath.  "All right, then, with that sort of income, I can hire my own lawyer, and a private detective to hunt down Mr. Lang."  She chuckled.  "Oh, I'd love to do some surgery on that man!"

Another sip of lemonade, then she sighed.  "I think I could do with a belt of whisky, if it wasn't illegal!"

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

"All right, then, with that sort of income, I can hire my own lawyer, and a private sincerity to hunt down Mr. Lang."  She chuckled.  "Oh, I'd love to do some surgery on that man!"

Another sip of lemonade, then she sighed.  "I think I could do with a belt of whisky, if it wasn't illegal!"

Now I can remedy that, I have a bottle of Canadian whiskey, one of bourbon and another of scotch. Gifts you understand.”  Greyson explained.  “Now, for the surgery, I would not doubt that it could be arranged, well, once he’s found. As I said I know people in that line of work.”

“Mister Lang may think he is safe from the law, however, that is all he is safe from. No doubt a privet detective could locate Lang, and a lawyer certainly could prosecute him. I believe that we can have him found at no cost to you. Then, have him arrested and let the law take its course.”

Greyson went to the cabinet and poured them both a glass of Canadian whiskey.

Liked 1

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Oh, goodness!  As much as I want vengeance on the cad, I hardly can condone strong-arm tactics."  She took the glass, shaking her head.  "Yes, if you can find him and turn him over to the law, that would be satisfactory!"

In the future, she'd have to be careful what she said..words spoken in frustration could do great harm.

"Thank you."  Indicating the whisky, she smiled.  A 'gift' wasn't sold, at least in the States, and if it was made in Canada, it wasn't made here, so it was legal, right? 

Tossing it down in one gulp, she instantly regretted it, almost immediately hacking and coughing.  Even before Prohibition, Maude was not a drinker!

Liked 1 Made Me Laugh 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

Tossing it down in one gulp, she instantly regretted it, almost immediately hacking and coughing.  Even before Prohibition, Maude was not a drinker!

Greyson jumped to his feet while in the act of sitting down. “Oh my!” He quickly poured a tumbler of water from a pitcher. “I thought you would sip it. Here, this should put the fire out.” He offered with the tumbler. “Just take it slowly, we don’t need any adverse reactions.”

“There, there, better now, Maude?” He asked. “Let me say, I understand your concerns about the tactics my acquaintances might employ to retrieve this scoundrel from wherever he is hiding. Please understand they have the best chance of locating this Lang fellow, and extradition will not be a problem for them. If you want him and what money he may have that is yours, then you must accept the methods used to extract him from his lair.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

“Oh my!” He quickly poured a tumbler of water from a pitcher. “I thought you would sip it. Here, this should put the fire out.” He offered with the tumbler. “Just take it slowly, we don’t need any adverse reactions.”

"Thank you," Maude managed to gasp as she took the glass and sipped some water, her voice gravely between choking and trying not to laugh.  It really was absurd, and she hadn't expected the burning that ran all the way down to her stomach and made her eyes water.  She took another drink of the water and nodded.

“There, there, better now, Maude?”

"Yes, thank you.  I guess I need to go more slowly in the future."  For the 'now' she was content with the water.

“Let me say, I understand your concerns about the tactics my acquaintances might employ to retrieve this scoundrel from wherever he is hiding. Please understand they have the best chance of locating this Lang fellow, and extradition will not be a problem for them. If you want him and what money he may have that is yours, then you must accept the methods used to extract him from his lair.”

For a moment, Maude mulled over his words, knowing this was likely the best way...while she was a proponent of following the laws, she knew that those were fallible, and could take years.

"All right, then," she conceded, holding out the shot glass for a refill, "There are more victims than just I who he duped, so if we can help them, too..."  Well, then it was justified to step a little to the side of the .law, right?

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

Greyson retrieved the bottle and poured her another shot. “Please, go slowly. You should know that results may come very quickly.” He assured her.

“Florida police will have no jurisdiction, and neither will the Bureau of Investigation, and a Private Investigator, well he may locate the culprit, bringing him back would be another story, indeed. I think you’ve made the best choice. How much can be recovered, that remains to be seen.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

Maude sighed and took a careful sip of the whisky, only hacking a little this time.  "I like to think I can handle things on my own, I've always tried to, but it just bunches my socks that I hafta resort ta askin'..."  She frowned as she sipped more of the drink.  "An' cavortin' with crimimals...crininals...criminals..."  Shaking her head, she looked over at Grayson.  "Notchu, a' course.  But..."

With a shrug, she slumped in her chair, taking another sip.  "I'll find a way fer it ta work out.  But if I can, I wanna chance ta slap that man silly!"  She was a true lightweight when it came to drinking!

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

Greyson suddenly had a horrified look on his face. “Oh my god!” He exclaimed, “What have I done to this poor girl?” He Quickly removed the tumbler from her hand and set it on the occasional table. “Maude? Maude? I really think that you’ve had a bit too much, I’m terribly sorry, I had no idea. Oh my, what will you think of me?" She was not passed out but seemed to be very close.

No matter how he sounded, no matter that he was assuming the blame for something he could not have foreseen, he had been in similar situations, but not with his business partner.