What Makes You Strong

Started by Maude Tillery at Jun 30, 2020 12:39 AM
February 21, 1924
27 Posts

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

The drive out of town and toward the ocean only gave Maude a slight respite, and even pulling into the yard of the beautiful estate did little to quell the rolling in her stomach or the chaos in her head. 

Even so, she had pretty much come to a decision, she just needed to go over specifics with Grayson and let him reassure her that she was doing the right thing.  Of course, she wasn't sure what alternatives she had at this point, she needed a good chunk of cash, and she needed it quickly, and she couldn't think of another way.

At the big mansion, she paid the cab driver, sending him on his way.  If Grayson wasn't here, she'd just go around back and wait in the garden, the setting there could only help calm her nerves.  For now, though, she would  hope that Grayson was home.

Stepping up to the door, she rang the bell then waited, thinking that it was a good thing she had sent the taxi away -- if she could run, she probably would!

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

Greyson, hearing the bell, was a bit surprised as he rose from his chair, setting his copy of the Miami Herald aside not seeing it tumble to the carpeted floor and stepping to the door. Wondering who would be calling at such an hour, seeing that it was Maude he became concerned that she would be calling on him now. She looked fine, so there was no accident to have worry over.

Opening the door with a flourish for her he greeted, “Maude, how nice, hopefully, everything is alright.” He held the door wide for her. “Please, come in, come in. Can I offer you anything?”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

Maude nodded, relieved that he was there, then stepped inside, not immediately answering him lest she give in to the tears that were hovering close to the surface. 

"Good afternoon."  Her tone was clipped, obviously stressed.  "I'm sorry to bother you.  Some lemonade would be nice, if you have it."  Or a belt of whisky, but that wasn't legal!  "I'd like to talk, if you have some time?"

She'd gone over her part of the conversation a dozen times on the way here, mulling over different approaches, none of them particularly ideal, but then, the situation wasn't ideal by any means, except that it would exchange an immediate problem for a more long-term one.

Made Me Cry 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

“Please, make yourself at home, I do have cold Lemonade, let me get you a glass.” He disappeared into the kitchen, mumbling something about help, and returned with a tall glass of the beverage. "Freshly squeezed this morning."

“Now, what seems to be the problem here?” He asked well aware that his partner was stressed over something serious and he was hopeful that whatever it was, it was within his power to help. “Now, whatever it is, I have all the time in the world to listen. Take your time.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Thank you."  Maude accepted the glass, then took a sip...and another, perhaps a way of stalling?  "It's just that..."  Her hand was trembling as she set the cup down rather than risk spilling the sugary liquid on the lavish carpet.

"I was contacted today by a lawyer, Frank Tennille, representing Pembrook Pines, the facility where my sister is."  She hadn't discussed it much, but he did know that Sarah was in the asylum, and that was why Maude was here in Florida.  "I had a man, Mr. Lang, who was handling my transactions, monthly fees, extra expenses and whatnot."

She took a breath, trying to control her voice that was about as steady as her hands.  "He stole my money, disappeared, so now I am a year behind, and Mr. Tennille says that the facility will want a year in advance and I..."

Well, she started crying.  As much as she was 'strong' by nature, this had been a hard blow, and it made her sick to her stomach with worry over her sister, even if she did have an unsavory solution.

Liked 1 Made Me Cry 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

“There, there Maude, please, don’t cry. First we, well, I need to know how much is owed to know exactly what can be done.” He began as gently as he could. “This can all be worked out, Maude, I assure you. I’m not a man without connections.”

He began to pace. This could look pretty bad for a doctor, especially a woman doctor, Greyson was thinking, not that it wouldn’t look bad for anyone to be a year behind on such fees. This was going to amount to a lot of money, no matter how it was cut. But money was the least of the problems she faced.

“So we need to do first things first. The amount owed, that needs to be paid, that won’t be a problem. Secondly, I have not heard of this Pembrook Pines, but I’ll look into it and we’ll see if there might be a better alternative. But as I said, first we need an accounting of what’s owed and we’ll go from there.” He paused. “I’ll not see your career in jeopardy over this. You’ve worked too hard.”

But what would the options be? This Lang fellow sounded like a good start if he could be found. And the director of this Prembrook Pines place, he, or she, should be able to supply the accounting he required, not the attorney she had seen. He knew that they tended to add to the fees, both the clients and his own, then keep them both.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

Once the tears started, Maude let them flow for a few minutes, hating that she was crying at all, but knowing that Grayson wouldn't judge her on it, and that she needed to get it out.

Finally, she sniffled and dabbled at her eyes with a kerchief, before looking up at him.  "So, um..."  Now that her cry was over, she was ready to get to business.  "It's three hundred seventy five I owe.  I have no reason to doubt Pembrook Pines, they came highly recommended by people I trust, and Mr. Lang was an independent contract..."

She sighed, dabbing at her eyes again then took a deep breath.  "Grayson, is the offer still good?  To work for your clients?"  Somehow, she would justify to her morals taking this step, after all, not only would it help her out if this mess, but she could do a lot for the community...good from bad.

Made Me Cry 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

"It's three hundred seventy five I owe.  I have no reason to doubt Pembrook Pines, they came highly recommended by people I trust, and Mr. Lang was an independent contract..."

“Three hundred seventy-five dollars,” Greyson repeated as he continued to pace. “That won’t be a problem, not a problem at all.” He easily had that much on hand. “but I would insist that we go to this place, this Pembrook Pines, and have a look around and visit your sister.”

She sighed, dabbing at her eyes again then took a deep breath.  "Grayson, is the offer still good?  To work for your clients?"  Somehow, she would justify to her morals taking this step, after all, not only would it help her out if this mess, but she could do a lot for the community...good from bad.

“Of course.” Ha stopped pacing and smiles at her, then added, “Just a matter of a phone call, and I can do that at any time. Though I believe we need to take the trip to this Pembrook place. There are establishments closer to home than that one, but, well, we’ll see, won’t we.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Your offer is generous, but it is still a loan that I'd repay."  Maude gave him a grateful smile, then nodded.  "I do get by Pembrook a few times a week to visit my sister, and there's no reason to believe she is mis-treated.  But yes, I would like to go by and speak to Dr. Janos about this.  I think it's probably best that I avoid any more intermediaries at this point and deal with him directly.  Mr Tennille represents the facility, so it's best not to deal with him directly, and besides, he was rude, and frankly, annoying."

And she would gladly accept Grayson's assistance because she realized that, as a woman, it was likely that she wouldn't be taken seriously.

"Mr Tennille apparently is pursuing a complaint against Mr. Lang through another client.  I'll keep up on that through his secretary, if the poor girl doesn't inadvertently get on bus to San Francisco and become mesmerized trying to figure out why the Sun is setting in the ocean now."

Made Me Laugh 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

“I’m glad you’re able to get up there to see her. That’s very important for both of you. I expect it is north of us? I hadn’t heard of any such facilities in the south. And we will go, whenever you say. We’ll make whatever patient arrangements we need to. Not to worry.” Was his response.

"Mr Tennille apparently is pursuing a complaint against Mr. Lang through another client.  I'll keep up on that through his secretary, if the poor girl doesn't inadvertently get on bus to San Francisco and become mesmerized trying to figure out why the Sun is setting in the ocean now."

Greyson laughed lightly at Maude’s description of the secretary. Well, I should hope not, and how nice that she’s willing to help. However, we shall have the bill paid and I believe the sooner the better. Now as to this Lang fellow, I need to make a call or two.” He was pacing again. “Is there any idea where Mister Lang might be? I’d like to locate him and collect what he owes you.”