Started by Dr. Greyson Steele at Jun 13, 2020 12:29 PM
January 0, 1924
91 Posts

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

"There, now, I feel appropriately elegant!"  Maude chuckled as they made their way to the ladies fashion department.  "So, will you be waiting?" she asked Grayson, "or did you want to meet somewhere?"  She knew that shopping could be pretty dull, and didn't expect him to want to stick around.  Of course, once someone started attending to her, he'd likely be offered something like wine and cheese to keep him happy while he waited!

“Waiting? But of course, you think I’d leave you here? I certainly think not.” He responded, not realizing that she meant while she shopped, but then it hit him. “Oh my, I’m sorry, I, I, well, quite frankly I’ve never been on a foray such as this before, and simply misunderstood. I may just have a look around and return here." He feigned a smile to cover his embarrassment.

Elegant, yes the scent certainly lent itself to that term, and though he had no amorous intentions about her, he knew that he stood in awe of her accomplishments, and wanted to provide her with the best work environment as well as being the best friend he knew how to be. Of course, Greyson had no real experience with females, it had been study, study, study for the future, and now the future was upon him.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

This really shouldn't take too long," Maude commented, hoping she was right.  Clothes shopping wasn't something she really enjoyed, so she was more than happy to just get this over with, and the woman who came to 'assist' was a tad annoying, pointing out options that Maude wouldn't be caught dead in!

But she submitted to the woman, trying on this and that, finding something wrong with it, and she was getting pretty discouraged when she came out yet again in a gown, trying to look enthusiastic.

"How is this?"  She noticed that Greyson had come back, and she shrugged, but then smiled.  "I think this is the best one yet."

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"Now that, that looks beautiful on you. Seriously." He didn't know from nothing about gowns, oh, he'd seen many, and he knew what he liked, and he liked what she was wearing.

"If that's the one, you certainly have found a beauty. I believe it will work just fine for our foray into the nightlife of Miami." He was serious about it, not simply going along with what he assumed was her choice. She wanted his opinion and he gave it. "And what of shoes? Do you have shoes to go with it? Perhaps a wrap as well." In for a dime, in for a dollar."

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Oh, thank you, although I can't help but think you are a little biased."  Maude smiled, doing a little twirl, finding that the dress was comfortable for her, and that was important to her feeling relaxed in it. 

Then he mentioned the other things and she frowned, but he was right, the dress alone wouldn't do, but at least the other things would be easy to find.

"You mean these shoes won't do?"  She showed the lace-up, practical black brogues she was wearing, then laughed and shrugged.  "All right, you and the clerk can pick a wrap, then we'll see about shoes, but I really don't care for heels."  They were frankly painful and awkward.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"Oh, thank you, although I can't help but think you are a little biased."  Maude smiled, doing a little twirl, finding that the dress was comfortable for her, and that was important to her feeling relaxed in it.

“Yes, that is perfect on you.” He stated. And it was, he was certainly not saying that just to please her. It was a fact.

Then he mentioned the other things and she frowned, but he was right, the dress alone wouldn't do, but at least the other things would be easy to find.

"You mean these shoes won't do?"  She showed the lace-up, practical black brogues she was wearing, then laughed and shrugged.  "All right, you and the clerk can pick a wrap, then we'll see about shoes, but I really don't care for heels."  They were frankly painful and awkward.

“Then that is what we’ll do.” Was the reply. “A warp that will go with the gown, madam.”

“Yes sir.” The clerk responded and led him to the area where there were coats and wraps of all types, in fur or fabric. “Have you an idea about what you would like to see the lady in?”

He saw it immediately. White, luxurious fur stole. “That one, no doubt about it. Perfect!”

“Oh yes sir, ermine is always perfect.” The clerk agreed as if she would say it was not.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Ermine?  Are you sure?"  Maude reached out and stroked the fur, amazed at how soft and luxurious it was, then she looked at Greyson.  "It's so nice."  She'd never had anything like this before, and it seemed so much more than necessary, but then, Greyson knew the sort of clients they would be courting, and what they expected, and she did want to be able to make an impression.

"I suppose being so glamored, it will be easy for me to keep in mind that I have to behave, and I'm trying to make a good impression."  She grinned, then quickly crossed her eyes and stuck her tongue out at him when the clerk wasn't looking!

"How is that for an impression?"

Liked 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"Ermine?  Are you sure?"  Maude reached out and stroked the fur, amazed at how soft and luxurious it was, then she looked at Greyson.  "It's so nice."  She'd never had anything like this before, and it seemed so much more than necessary, but then, Greyson knew the sort of clients they would be courting, and what they expected, and she did want to be able to make an impression.

“Quite sure, my dear, And I’d say that it goes perfectly with your gown.” He replied, a big smile on his face.

"I suppose being so glamored, it will be easy for me to keep in mind that I have to behave, and I'm trying to make a good impression."  She grinned, then quickly crossed her eyes and stuck her tongue out at him when the clerk wasn't looking!

"How is that for an impression?"

“That might not be what we’re after, though it may well be appropriate for our visit at
Pembrook Pines.” He joked. “Now for the shoes, I’ll leave you to his nice lady for that.”

As they walked toward the shoe department Greyson looked around at the size of the store, and the number of things that were on display. He had no needs, actually, Greyson Steele had no wants for the moment, of course, that was all subject to change. Providing for Maude was sufficient for the time being.

He knew she considered this, and whatever would be paid at Pembrook Pines, as a loan. He hoped she was not thinking it had to be paid back immediately, in fact since he rarely was able to treat anyone, he could care less if she ever paid him back. And, with his mother well taken care of in Chicago, there was just no one left to spoil.  

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

Maude followed along behind the clerk, who was likely in clerk-commission-Heaven, looking around at all the goods and clothes as they passed, thinking that she'd have to come back and see about getting something for Sarah the next time she went out to see her  It would make a good distraction,and her sister was always happy for something new and different.

Fortunately, it didn't take long, and Maude tolerated the ordeal well, finally getting through to the woman that she wanted flats, proving that heels weren't wise by nearly breaking her ankle, then settling for low-heel black patent-leather pumps with a silly bow across the top of her foot.

"Well, then, all this for lunch?" Maude looked up at Greyson, smiling.  "I'm actually looking forward to seeing the place, especially before I have to put on a performance there."

It really hadn't occurred to her how involved an actually partnership would be, and she'd have to get used to being more than just a doctor in a practice.

Liked 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"Then perhaps we might delay our visit to the ship-board restaurant until dinner this evening for the full effect." He suggested. "That gives us time to actually get ready without rushing about. I do realize that preparation for ladies takes a bit more time than it does for men."

Greyson was trying to be practical, and at the same time to alter their plans to the evening when there would be live entertainment for them to enjoy. "How does that sound?" Wanting her input as to what they would be doing.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"All right, then, what time do you want to pick me up?"  It would give her some time to do something with her hair, walk the dog, and don the proper underthings for the look.  Besides, the dress really was a bit flashy for lunch, anyway.

++++++++++++++

Fortunately for Maude, the teen next door liked to dabble in hair, and Maude let her style her hair in practice for the day she was able to go to beautician classes, so she had light pin curls all around, along with a paste gem butterfly that the girl hand insisted on using, and what was a little embarrassment at a tacky decoration when weighed against the feelings of an ambitious future hair stylist?

When she saw Greyson pulling up, she grabbed her beaded handbag and headed downstairs, still a little unaccustomed to the shoes, then waited for him to open the car door for her, feeling a bit awkward, but it was better to get used to this before she had to meet with clients or investors or whatever!