Started by Dr. Greyson Steele at Jun 13, 2020 12:29 PM
January 0, 1924
61 Posts

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

"Oh, well, there are many tricks that you can do with things on hand -- coins, cards, paper, thread -- I hadn't thought about something more elaborate, but that might be fun, doing a more structured magic show.  'Doctor and Doctor Present'!"

He laughed at the suggested title, “Instant success! I can see it now. Why we’d be the stars of the O.R. hands down!”

She laughed, then added, "Or we could take up the ukulele!"

“Well now, a stringed instrument, that might not be too bad, not to bad at all. I mean, it might actually be a bit easier to learn, or at least handle. You know, like moving from one room to another.” And then he laughed.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Magic show or ukulele band, such decisions!"  She laughed, but it was good to actually be thinking about a hobby, something besides studying and working and looking out for her sister.  For so many years, she hadn't really had much opportunity to think about frivolous things, but now that her sister was settled and she had a good place to work, Maude would be happy to resume old pastimes or explore new hobbies.

"I'd be happy for either, or any other suggestion you might have.  It's important, I think, to get away from work for a while and do something completely different.  And, of course, I'd be more than happy to teach you some simple tricks...they really do put children at ease, and that is always good for them."

While it didn't work all the time, when it did, that establishment of trust gained cooperation, and that made treatment so much easier.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

“Excellent,” Greyson said enthusiastically. Learning some sleight of hand may not come into play with his clients, if there was a child to be seen, well then, that would be a good thing to have in reserve.

As far as a magic show, I’m sure we could locate one without much trouble. Here, let me check the Hearld, should be something.” He took up the newspaper and thumbed through it to the entertainment page.

“Unfortunately neither magic nor ukulele shows, however, at the Olympic are ‘Gold Rush’ with Charlie Chaplin and The Freshman with Harold Lloyd if that sounds interesting.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Now?"  Maude hadn't considered going to a movie, but she was still a bit rattled after the incident last night, and all the other sudden changes, and a movie certainly would lighten the mood.  "Sure, I'm a fan of either, I've heard that 'Gold Rush' is really good."  She grinned.  "I always imagined that I was a 49er in another life, tramping through the California rivers in britches and wader boots, panning for gold and striking it rich!  But then reality hits, and I think about how cold and miserable it was, and how very few even really made anything."

Freezing snows, blistering heat, sunburn, frostbite, hard work for little return.  Maude laughed.  "I'd just run a cafe, make amazing pies and take all those boys' gold!" Peddling goods was where the real profit had been, except for a few lucky moguls, and she didn't believe in luck that much!

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

“Yes, those times, though glamorous as they sound, were actually a very hard time no matter one's station. Though I suspect, for those with wealth, they were more comfortable than the rest, but then that’s just conjecture on my part,” he admitted. When I was a lad I often played cowboy with my mates, that and baseball in the sandlot occupied much of my youth.”

“To me, it is amusing how our wants as youth rarely come to pass, I became neither a cowboy nor a baseballer, I became a physician, how that happened I am truly unable to explain, but in my heart, those two dreams still reside. Aside from what you’ve said, what were your ambitions before medicine found you?”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Climbing trees!"  Maude laughed.  "I was just ten or so when I fell out of one, and it was the kind attention of a doctor, who I was certain had saved my life, that got me to thinking about medicine as a career."  She laughed.  "I didn't think that was really possible until I was older, so I wanted to be a horse trainer, a detective or an actress.  Sometimes, I even thought I could do all three!"

But by the time she was old enough to seriously think on life, specifically that she didn't necessarily want to relegated to planning dinner parties and making dinner all of her days.

"I did seriously think about being a teacher, but by then the pull of medicine was just too strong, so here I am."

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

“Life’s twists and turns can range from exciting to dismal, or so I’ve come to believe. Ending up where you should be is never guaranteed, yet it happens with some regularity.” Greyson offered. “Worked with a doctor once who said, ‘once you’re trained for medicine, you’re pretty much useless for anything else.’ He was just not happy, I felt sorry for him. Mainly because of the time involved with that training, the time he could have saved if he had realized that medicine was not for him early on.”

"But somewhere, somehow, I found my calling as surely as the sun rises in the east. Nary a single regret have I experienced, except failing to save a life I believed I could have." He added.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Well, I can understand.  Even with knowing what I wanted to do, I wasn't prepared for the emotional side of it." Maude shrugged.  "They teach you how to heal a body, but not the soul, not how to deal with someone who is dying, or the family of someone who has died."

Broken bodies, devastating sickness was one thing, but anguish and abject fear were completely different to deal with.

She sighed and shook her head.  "I can't believe that you willingly let someone die.  You always try your best, right?"  At least, that was what she thought, although she wasn't so naive as to think that something wouldn't happen sometime to challenge that.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
48 Posts

“There can be no other way to do it. I’ve always looked at terminal injuries as a challenge to keep the patient alive, and to be able to help that person recover as quickly as possible.” Greyson stated. “Although I am well aware, many will not survive. Those who do might well have life long problems, however, keeping them alive is what I am, we are, trained to do. There just can be no other way, no allowing death, not if there is a chance of survival.”

It was why he was comfortable working on wounded gangsters and those outside the law.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
85 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Of course we always do our best," Maude agreed, "but there are times when that isn't enough."  Of course, he knew that, likely better than she.  Most of the patients that she'd 'lost', she had been working with another doctor, so it was easy to spread blame, even if there was no blame.

"I don't know where your convictions lie, but even if I hadn't believed in God before I started medical school, I would now...some sort of superior Being who decides life and death."  She shrugged.  Philosophy wasn't her forte, but this was different.  "People who by all rights shouldn't survive live with few complications, and people who have no reason to, just up and die.  Maybe someday we'll know better."