Started by Dr. Greyson Steele at Jun 13, 2020 12:29 PM
January 0, 1924
124 Posts

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
132 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

“I have no idea how that will be arranged.” A point he had not considered, but certainly, one that may well dictate how they would do the job at hand. "And yes, I would also think we would be outfitted in some sort of uniform, you know, black slack, white coat, perhaps with some sort of rank or something similar. To distinguish us from the passengers, as you said. Seems only right.”

“As to seeing the facilities, I would think if Mister Lucian MacLeod is on board this evening we might well ask for a tour. Probably be a good idea to get the ship's schedule as well.” No, just when they were sailing, but their schedule for hours on duty and such.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Lucian MacLeod...so, he's the one in charge of all this?"  Well, it would certainly be a good idea to meet the man before she made a final commitment, not that she'd change her mind unless there was something drastically wrong with the man.  It was too good of a deal, and the thought of a cruise, even a working one, was intriguing.

She was interested to see what the clinic was like, and the accommodations.  There was little doubt that they would be top-notch, based on the restaurant here and the estate that Greyson had.   Besides, her understanding was that the clientele would only accept the best.

The waiter came back and she ordered the fried chicken and potatoes, although in French, it sounded far more elegant, and she really was curious how you could make fried chicken more than just that!

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
132 Posts

"I suppose if we're considered part of the crew," Maude speculated, "they would require some sort of uniform just to set us apart from passengers...at least while we're on duty.  But I do hope that we'd have some free time, and I can't imagine lounging on deck in a uniform!"

“I’m not quite sure we’ll be doing much on-deck lounging, but then one never knows what may be in store for us going forward.” He said, then added, “Though I’m sure that there will be free time, it just stands to reason.”

Then she had a thought.  "Will we have shifts, do you think?  I imagine we will always be on call, but not necessarily on duty?  Maybe they'll let us figure out our own schedule?"  Then she brightened.  "I wonder if we might get a tour of the facilities after dinner?"

“Perhaps your thought of shifts might be what is wanted, I really couldn’t say. However I wouldn’t think they would require one of us to be up all night, that just doesn’t make sense. We’ll need to speak with Lucian, though he has a brother, Jameson, whom I understand is the Ship’s Master. We can check to see if either is on board after diner if you like.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Yes, I'd like that," Maude commented, "I'd sign on in any event, at least once, but it would be good to know what we'd be getting into."  She grinned.  "On the one hand, I'd like to think that it would be a pretty easy assignment, but in my experience, people with money and privilege tend to be...difficult." 

They complained about the most simple things, and wanted instant results, with a smile, regardless of how rude and demanding they were.  Still, if it involved good pay, a cruise and a day or so in a tropical paradise, it might be worth it!

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
132 Posts

“Yes, you have a point regarding the wealthy and how they act. However, as things with our practice evolve over, say, the next year, we will be of that class, even dare I say if you don’t want to be.” He told her. “You could say that I am already there, what with the hose and the Cadillac, but we are on the verge of the most successful of practices, and in no small portion to you and your skills.” He grinned, not sure she was aware of the trajectory of their practice.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

Maude hadn't really thought of things in that way, hadn't considered that in a year or so things might be very different...and she wasn't sure that she'd like that.  Well, of course it would be nice to be financially secure, have a nice house, maybe with a yard and a view of the ocean, a good practice.

"Thank you."  She felt a blush tint her cheeks at his compliment, as much as she hated to think that such flattery could effect her.  "It's only because you were foolish enough to take a chance on me, and I really do appreciate it."

Women in medicine were no longer a complete novelty, it was still a rare occurrence that a lady reached the level of physician, and acceptance was hard-won, so the opportunity that Grayson had given her was a fine gift, and she didn't want to be a disappointment.

"I suppose we shall see if money and success corrupts us, but," she gave him a teasing look, "I'd like to think I'd stay humble!"

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
132 Posts

“A man is never foolish to recognize someone’s abilities. And especially when it concerns a woman’s competency in any given field. I’m sure my colleagues will soon learn that fact as well as the rest of the business world out there.” He responded. “As for the trappings of success that we both have and will experience, being humble will always be a choice. There are those that do not subscribe to that theory, some believe themselves to be gods when they are only men with god-given talents.”

He laughed then, “Yes, we will most certainly see as our success rises along with our incomes. I would like to think I am still somewhat humble, for all my frailties.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Your 'frailty' is taking in strays," Maude chuckled, "and I believe that your humility is rock solid!"

For herself, if circumstances really did work out so that she was financially comfortable, she was starting to think of what she could do to help the community.  "It would be wonderful to do something to for the community, a free clinic or food kitchen...I'm still new to the area and not really sure what the needs might be, and besides, it's a time away, but I'd like to do something."

While she wasn't particularly altruistic, she also wasn't overly extravagant, and would be more than happy to use gains for something positive.

"Of course, I could eat like this any time I please, too!  No more oatmeal and noodles with butter!"

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
132 Posts

"Of course, I could eat like this any time I please, too!  No more oatmeal and noodles with butter!"

“No Maude, no more oatmeal and noodles with butter for you, I’m afraid,” Greyson said with a smile. “Our lot in life is changing for the better. I mean when you look at the bigger picture, the practice is growing beyond my best estimates. The other treatments, shall I say, are less. Things seemed to calm down. So, yes, perhaps both, a free clinic set up in a less fortunate part of town, and the food kitchen as well. Grand ideas, Maude, simply grand!”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"There's time yet, but I am going to work in that direction, find out where the best locations would be and whatnot, and even if it doesn't happen for some reason, I think I'd enjoy the planning anyway.  It's different from work, a change of pace."

Then, quite suddenly, she asked, "Do you sail?  I think that would be more fun than tennis or knitting!"  Maybe she was getting ahead of herself, but if she had a bit of money for recreation, she thought that sailing would be a good way to use it