Started by Dr. Greyson Steele at Jun 13, 2020 12:29 PM
January 0, 1924
107 Posts

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

"Do you think we can get a table by a window?" she whispered as they waited for the maitre'd.

“To tell you the truth, I don’t know if they have windows aboard ship. I mean, from what I do know, they call them portholes and they’re not very large, but we’ll see what they have to offer.” He explained almost painfully. He liked having the answers, maybe not all of them, but most of them anyway.

Finding that there really were no ‘window’ tables, as there were no windows, they were shown to their table. “Quite posh, isn’t it?” He asked as he looked around, there was a bandstand, and a dance floor which was surrounded by tables that were filled with the upper crust of Miami.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Oh, I hadn't thought about it being a ship, I guess."  Of course, the weather here was nice enough that she'd have dining on the deck if she was in charge.  With some lights strung around and the views of the city, it would be amazing...well, at least until the rain started!

"It's quite posh, I can see why it's so popular."  The setting, the clientele, it was all elegant, and now it just was a matter of the food adding up to the rest of it.  She knew of more than one place that was high-end and crazy expensive, but the food left a lot to be desired, even though people raved about it because it was expected.

"I'm really intrigued to see what they have on the menu."  She glanced up at Greyson with a grin.  "I doubt it's fried chicken or pork stew!"  Hopefully there would be something really exotic and different, a welcome change from the simple, every day fare.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

"I'm really intrigued to see what they have on the menu."  She glanced up at Greyson with a grin.  "I doubt it's fried chicken or pork stew!"  Hopefully there would be something really exotic and different, a welcome change from the simple, every day fare.

As they were shown to their table, Greyson couldn’t help but laugh about the pork stew and fried chicken, “Yes, I’m quite sure those would be absent.”

“Not at all, we have a sumptuous fried chicken dish if you like. But I would suggest perusing the menu first.” The Matre’d said as they reach their table. “Staff will be right with you, enjoy your evening.” And with that, he returned to his post.

“I stand corrected. But then I suppose that fried chicken is a southern dish and that there are countless chicken dishes.” He looked at her and smiled. “I am glad we came. This is quite the place to be sure.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Now I'm intrigued!"  Maude smiled as she watched the man walked away, then she glanced at Greyson.  "Fried chicken at a place like this?  It has to be more than that, at a place this nice."  How you fancied up something like that, she didn't know, and was just about decided that that was what she was going to order, unless, maybe, there was lamb on the menu.

And being high-end, there would be courses, so she was glad she was hungry, to take advantage of everything from appetizers to dessert...she was going to try it all!

"I wonder if they have the same fare when they go to Cuba...and breakfast and lunch..."  She laughed.  "Lounging on deck, just living from meal to meal...there's the life!  And they will need doctors!"

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

"Now I'm intrigued!"  Maude smiled as she watched the man walked away, then she glanced at Greyson.  "Fried chicken at a place like this?  It has to be more than that, at a place this nice."  How you fancied up something like that, she didn't know, and was just about decided that that was what she was going to order, unless, maybe, there was lamb on the menu.

“Oh, I’m sure that the fried Chicken served aboard ship is much different than that of the local restaurants. You know, far fancier.”

And being high-end, there would be courses, so she was glad she was hungry, to take advantage of everything from appetizers to dessert...she was going to try it all!

"I wonder if they have the same fare when they go to Cuba...and breakfast and lunch..."  She laughed.  "Lounging on deck, just living from meal to meal...there's the life!  And they will need doctors!"

“And that is precisely why we were hired, so the thought of fees is not anything you should be worried about. We are the ship's doctors, we will have an infirmary and separate cabins.” Greyson replied. “Now as to the fare? I would assume, mind you, that the fare would vary from the normal menus. Perhaps buffets might be the evening's carte du jour, I really wouldn’t know, but I assure you we’ll soon find out with the next cruise.” He smiled. “Exciting, is it not?”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"I'm sure that even the buffet would be amazing, though."  With the sort of clientele the ship served, especially on a cruise, the food had to be top-end.  "And there would be someone to make my bed for a couple days!"  Maude laughed.  "I'm starting to like this idea more and more."

At this point, finally, her life was stable -- she had a good job with a good man, her expenses were adequate to cover her needs, including her sister's treatment, and her sister was getting good care under Dr. Janos (so she thought!) -- and it would be nice to treat herself every now and then. 

"I wonder if they'd let me bring Hammy along?  He's well-behaved, but he's a mutt, not some fancy French poodle or anything."  But he'd love the change of pace, and the chance to be around all those people!

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

As Greyson looked around the area used for the restaurant he could see the quality in everything which led him to believe that the staterooms and cabins would be equally as well-appointed. He was more convinced than ever that being the ship's doctor would be not just another job, but fun as well. Then about her question on Hammy.

“I have no idea as to the rules regarding pets aboard the ship, but we can certainly check to find out. Of course, we see no pets here, but then this is a restaurant and I’m somewhat certain there would be restrictions regarding pets in here.” He smiled. "We'll certainly have to check about that though."

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"I suppose I could always just smuggle him aboard and then claim innocence?"  Maude grinned at the thought, not that she'd ever really consider doing that.  "Although I'd be worried they'd find out and throw us overboard, and I can't swim that well!"

Lowering her voice, she added, "Or worse, they could make Hammy stew!"  Her laugh was cut off as the waiter returned with menus, and she put on a straight face as he rattled off the specials.

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
111 Posts

"Well, as small as you say Hammy is, I doubt that he would constitute a stew, but one never knows." Greyson chided, then added, "But as ships company for these voyages perhaps an exception might be made. We would need to speak with Mister Lucian MacLeod, the man that hired us in the first place."

That seemed to be a reasonable approach if she was serious about bringing the dog along. Though having it along meant the animal would be most likely kept in her cabin most of the time, and that seemed hardly fair.

"I'm wondering, if in fact, as the ship's doctors, we'll be required to wear uniforms like the other ship's officers. You know the white jackets and dark slacks? That would be something, don't you think?"

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
134 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"I suppose if we're considered part of the crew," Maude speculated, "they would require some sort of uniform just to set us apart from passengers...at least while we're on duty.  But I do hope that we'd have some free time, and I can't imagine lounging on deck in a uniform!"

Then she had a thought.  "Will we have shifts, do you think?  I imagine we will always be on call, but not necessarily on duty?  Maybe they'll let us figure out our own schedule?"  Then she brightened.  "I wonder if we might get a tour of the facilities after dinner?"