Started by Dr. Greyson Steele at Jun 13, 2020 12:29 PM
January 0, 1924
91 Posts

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

There are few things that would allow for Greyson Steele to sleep in, but in fact, after the excitement of the previous day, the thought he was spending one of his last nights in his apartment and perhaps one of the last days in his office, he slept deeply, yet sprang awake some twenty-three minutes past his normal awakening time.

Greyson sprang from his bed, tended to his daily hygiene, ate a quick breakfast, and dashed from the apartment to his Cadillac and then drove well within the law to his office, only to find his partner Doctor Maude Tillery standing outside. He parked the car and got out.

“Why Maude, what in God's name are you doing here?” He asked as he hastily unlocked the office.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

As much as she had tried to quell her fears, telling herself that they were unfounded, Maude had not done a very good job of it.  When she had finally gotten home, she had taken Hammy for a short walk, just long enough for the mutt to do his 'business', then she had picked at her dinner, finally pushing it aside and taking a bath.  Even that had been cursory, not the relaxing luxury she had originally planned.

And sleep had been elusive at best, not from nightmares, but just that her head wouldn't shut off, a cacophony of 'what if's' swirling around, the most distressing...'What if they found Ethyl?'  There was no way she could protect her sister, and  more than anything that distressed her.

Finally, she'd just given up and got up, written in her journal, then headed to the clinic, confident that a hard day tending patients would settle her nerves.  But she'd been early, Doctor Steele wasn't there yer, and her mind started 'what-iffing' again...what if those men had come back and found him there and done something to him...

But then, there he was, pulling up in that big Caddy of his, and Maude finally smiled.  "Good morning, Doctor.  I just...got an early start, that's all."  Of course, her drawn features would tell that she hadn't slept, and if she had been the sort of girl to easily cry, she likely would have as he opened the door.

But she was able to hold those back, but she was certain that the stress would show.  "A beautiful day, isn't it?"

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

“Well then we must fix that so that you can let yourself in, after all, we’re partners, you work here.” Greyson said, “And you may call me Greyson, or Grey if you prefer, almost as good as ‘hey you'.” He held the door for her and followed her inside.

“Well, first off, how was your evening, Maude?” He inquired, Greyson could have gone on about his, but he truly liked and respected Maude. Becoming a doctor had been no easy task, much more difficult for a woman than a man. He had seen it first hand, see women driven out for no reason other than their sex.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"It was fine..."  Her answer was a bit curt, although she relaxed a bit when they were inside and the door was closed.  And it was just that feeling that caused everything to cascade.  She wasn't accustomed to the fear and uncertainty, at least not this sort.  Yes, medical school had been plenty intimidating, but this was completely different, and she didn't like it.

Besides, one of the things that had kept her awake was just this moment...would she smile and carry on, or open up with the truth?  And she had known all along that she would tell him, that she had to tell him and get it said, if only for him to understand that she was a bit rattled for good reason.  And she needed to do that before patients started arriving.

"Truthfully...I need to talk to you...I'll make us some coffee, if you have a moment?"

Liked 2

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"Truthfully...I need to talk to you...I'll make us some coffee, if you have a moment?"

“Why yes, yes of course.” He responded. There was obviously something wrong, something troubling Doctor Tillery, and he was happy that she would consider confiding in him. Unless of course there was a problem within the practice. "And yes, the coffee sounds wonderful.”

It dampened his excitement at telling her of the house and the attached clinic before offering to take her there for a tour. He had called off all of their appointments for the day as there may well be some things to work out before moving forward with the practice. Especially his underworld connections.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

The few minutes it took to get the percolator perking gave Maude a chance to gather her thoughts, and once the coffee was done, she took two full mugs to Grayson's office, then settled in the chair across from him.

"Well..."  She took a sip of coffee, then a breath.  "Just as I left last night and was walking home, I was stopped by two men who requested a doctor for a young man who had been shot in a hunting accident, so they said."  Honestly, it hadn't really sounded plausible at the time.  "I went with them, I believe they would have forced me if I hadn't, and running wouldn't have accomplished anything."

There was a time and a place, her father had taught her, and giving in to panic only made matters worse.  "They drove me south of here, some thirty minutes or so, I can't be certain, and there was a young man with a grazing wound on his side..."  She shrugged.  "Up until I was done, I really couldn't say for sure that it was anything more than what they claimed, despite them having alcohol, but then they gave me this..." she put the three twenty dollar bills on the table, "and threatened me if I talked to the police...well, anyone, for that matter, so I ask that you keep this to yourself.  I was not harmed, they will not bother me again, and if they do, I have a pistol, and the money will go to good use."

That said, with all its bravado, she sighed and took another sip of coffee, her hand trembling just a little.  "However, I didn't sleep well last night, and I'll admit, I am a bit shaken.  But talking about it helps."

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

Greyson listened to the tale without interruption, This woman had mettle! He could not help but smile. “Please, Maude, don’t miss read my smile. I applaud your courage and quick thinking. My God! You’ve amazed me.” He could hardly contain himself, but with a couple of sips of the coffee, he managed to rein himself in.

“And, firstly, I must admit to you that I have been in the same place before, and, hopefully, you won’t think less of me when I tell you that I treat these fellows on a somewhat regular basis. I know, before you said it, they are criminals. But, and I know what that means, I am first and foremost a physician, I am treating the injured, I am saving lives. I have been since my Chicago days.” He exhaled heavily.

“Our calendars are clear for the day, that is my doing, I wanted to show you our new clinic.” He looked to her, he didn’t want to lose her over this. “And, we will be the medical team aboard the S.S. Chanteuse for its cruises over the weekends. I had planned to tell you all of this once we had arrived at my home, where the clinic and our offices are. Separate of course.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

“And, firstly, I must admit to you that I have been in the same place before, and, hopefully, you won’t think less of me when I tell you that I treat these fellows on a somewhat regular basis. I know, before you said it, they are criminals. But, and I know what that means, I am first and foremost a physician, I am treating the injured, I am saving lives. I have been since my Chicago days.” He exhaled heavily.

"I agree that a patient is a patient, but I have no desire to solicit criminals," Maude declared, "and I won't long tolerate threats, and I can't promise I won't report to the authorities."  A lot of bravado in that, but only if she could be assured that her sister and dog were safe!  She could take care of herself, but Ethyl and Hammy were innocent, and the only things she really cared about.

"Hopefully, it was just an isolated..."  All the assaults, the patients whisked to Steele's private rooms...and he'd been trying to protect her from it.

“Our calendars are clear for the day, that is my doing, I wanted to show you our new clinic.” He looked to her, he didn’t want to lose her over this. “And, we will be the medical team aboard the S.S. Chanteuse for its cruises over the weekends. I had planned to tell you all of this once we had arrived at my home, where the clinic and our offices are. Separate of course.”

This was news, and Maude balked a bit at first, startled.  But then, this clinic was rather small, so if the facilities were better that would benefit their patients.  And weekend cruises...

"Oh, well, change might be good, and I can't say as I wouldn't mind some short trips."  There might be a bit of negotiations, but she'd have to see the basics before that.  "S.S. Chanteuse...isn't that a club?  I've heard the food is very good."  And the libations were less than legal!

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
83 Posts

"S.S. Chanteuse...isn't that a club?  I've heard the food is very good."

“That was what I have heard, as well. And true it is a speakeasy, but one does not have to imbibe.” Greyson noted. “The offer was too good to turn down and I included you because, well, because we have this practice together, and it certainly wouldn’t have been right to exclude you.”

“We will, of course, need to come to an agreement on treating the criminal element. I realize that it is my house, and my clinic, but that you do not have to participate in their treatment if that’s your wish. I certainly would prefer your help, but I fully understand if you are opposed to it."

"Then again I would be remiss if I failed to mention that there is an agreement in place, there will be no threats to anyone connect with such treatment, neither them personally nor any relation. Also, fees have been arranged and agreed upon, they are to be paid in cash at the time of service.” He explained. "Compensation is quite handsome. It is their offer, not my requirement."

“But, for now, why don’t we hop in the Cad and head over to the house?”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
120 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Yes, all right."  Maude nodded, mulling things over, although she was skeptical about working at a speakeasy...the last thing she needed was to be arrested at a joint that had illegal alcohol, and likely other criminal activities that she didn't want to be associated with.  Still, she may as well look into things before she made any decisions. But she was flattered and encouraged that Grayson was considering her a partner...it was a big step.

Besides, a ride in that nice car was a bonus!

As Grayson held the door for her, she got in, then settled for the ride, hoping to see some countryside.  "How far is this place?" she asked, realizing that distance would be an issue on top of what to do with Hammy on the weekends.  But then, if this worked out, hopefully there was a bus line that ran out that way.

"Maybe I should finally learn to drive?"  Not that she could afford a car.