New Day, New School

Started by Madeleine Richards at Jun 12, 2020 1:59 AM
March 3, 1924
9 Posts

Madeleine Richards

Student
?Years Young
6 Posts

Maddie stood on the pavement looking at the building.  She had just said goodbye to Aunt Liz, who had initially wanted to go inside with her but had been convinced to stay inside the car.  Whether or not Aunt Liz was content to stay behind was another matter.  All Maddie knew was that she had managed to convince her that she wouldn't be able to come with her every day and so it was better to start now.

Part of Maddie wished that her father had come instead but she knew he would be at his office by now doing whatever he needed to do.  However, she did know that he would ask about her day during dinner, so was happy with that.

As she walked up to the entrance she could see some of the other students milling around.  Some she knew were day students and others were boarders but she couldn't tell which was which.  All were wearing the same uniform she was.  It was a bit odd having to a wear a uniform for the first time as she was used to wearing what she wanted when she went to her old school.  The uniform colours weren't that bad but the style of clothing could be improved upon.

Knowing that the time was nearing for school to start, she pulled out a piece of paper from her bag that carried all the items she needed to get through school for the day.  On the paper was a room number and the name of the teacher she had to report to.  Putting the paper back in her bag, she took a deep breath and began making her way inside.

Alice

Liked 1 Loved 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"Tell me everything that happened, tell me everything you saw."

To the right, a short distance from the entrance (before the classroom lined hallway) stood a tall and squarely winding wooden staircase. On a step near the top of the first landing, Alice sat alone. With a hand wrapped around one of the balusters, she gazed through the prison's bars and thoughtfully observed the students below.

Some were already walking through to the classrooms, and still, others gathered here and there… chatting about a variety of topics. Within the school, however, she really hadn't formed any friendships and lately resorted to being as inconspicuous as possible.

Her attention was drawn then to the front door as it opened. Interestingly a girl maybe her own age walked in. Alice didn't recognize her but quickly assumed that she had to be a new day student. She envied the newbie already.

Alice flinched as a sudden loud noise came from behind. She turned her head to see her school items, which had purposely been kicked off the step beside her, plummeting to the bottom of the stairs.

"Hey!" she called as two older girls laughed and hurried past. They ignored her cry and disappeared downstairs into the oblivious throng.

Flustered, she stood up and set about collecting her things. Proceeding down the steps, she picked up a few loose sheets of paper, a writing pad, and a book at the very bottom.

Her hazel eyes scanned the foyer before catching sight of one last sheet at the new girl's feet. On the paper was a prominent and neatly written name (Tommy) encircled by a heart. An odd thing considering boys did not attend the school.

Alice came forward and appeared reticent like the whole incident hadn't bothered or embarrassed her in the least. She quickly scooped up the page and tucked it back into her notebook. If it had been anyone else, she would have continued on her way, but she offered the new and similarly lone girl a curious "Hello."

Loved 1

Madeleine Richards

Student
?Years Young
6 Posts

As Madeleine stood in the middle of the foyer attempting to get her bearings, she felt some brush against her leg. Looking down she saw a piece of paper with a love heart that had the name "Tommy" written in the middle of it.  She frowned, wondering who Tommy might be and was about to bend to pick it up when another girl beat her to it.

After the girl had hastily put the paper away, she had greeted her.  Smiling, she said, "Hello, my name's Maddie."

Not knowing what else to say, she reached inside her bag to pull out the note, "I hope you can help me. I'm looking for this room."

Handing over the note, she waited for an answer.

Liked 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"Hello, my name's Maddie."

"I'm Alice," she said simply. Not so long ago, she had been in Maddie's place. It had been a difficult transition, and while things hadn't become any easier, she was consoled by her friendships with Tommy and Gracie.

Likewise, perhaps this girl could use a friend. Alice smiled then and watched as Maddie produced a note from her bag.

"I hope you can help me. I'm looking for this room."

No one at the school had asked for her help before, and Alice jumped at the opportunity. Upon analyzing the article, she excitedly spoke up. "Oh! I can show you… I'm in the same class!"

With that, she turned and wove around people leading Maddie into the long hallway.

"That is Miss. Harris' office," she announced, pointing out the first door on the left. Seeing as the building bore the stately woman's name, she figured an explanation of her role was unnecessary.

They continued on.

"So, what brings you here?" Her tone was one of curiosity; it was unusual for a student to begin at the school in March.

Liked 1

Madeleine Richards

Student
?Years Young
6 Posts

"So, what brings you here?"

"My father," Maddie answered.  Smiling she looked at Alice, "But it was for my own good I suppose.  He didn't approve of me wandering the streets of Miami without proper adult supervision."

The journey to the classroom had been uneventful other than a few glances.  She supposed everybody was on their to wherever they were meant to be by the time the bell rang...if there was a bell.  Her father and Aunt Liz had told her all they could about the school, but they neglected to mention small details like the bell.  They did say something about Miss Harris, who she had yet to meet but judging by the way her new school friend, had pointed out her office, it was probably good that she hadn't.

As they drew nearer to their destination, Maddie wondered about Alice.  There was something about that didn't feel right.  Not in the way she looked or talked but in another way.  It was something she couldn't quite work out.  Maybe in time she would find out and there was no time like the present.  "Are you a day student as well?"

Alice

Liked 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"My father," Maddie answered.

"But it was for my own good I suppose. He didn't approve of me wandering the streets of Miami without proper adult supervision."

Alice looked at the newcomer in surprise. To Maddie, it may have seemed as though the girl couldn't believe she had been out on the city streets. In reality, however, she was surprised that they had such a thing in common.

"Mine wouldn't either if he knew," she vaguely divulged. Thoughtful silence befell her as she continued to lead the way.

"Are you a day student as well?"

It was a sore subject, but Alice answered nonetheless, "No, I board upstairs... my father remarried, and my stepmother persuaded him to keep me here," she plaintively explained. It was then that they reached the fifth door down on the right-hand side of the hall.

"Here we are," she declared, stopping outside the classroom labeled with a number eight. The upper portion of the wooden door featured a glass panel that allowed one to look in or out.

Though the bell had not yet rung, students could be seen at their desks in preparation for the start of class. At the forefront of the room directly across from the door, sat a stuffy looking woman. Intermittently her head bobbed as she looked across the room for a student and down again, noting their attendance in her record book.

As if it were a shield, Alice clutched her things before her chest. "Miss. Fletcher's class isn't so bad."

It appeared as though she were trying to assure herself as much as she was Maddie.

Liked 1

Madeleine Richards

Student
?Years Young
6 Posts

As she watched Alice clutch her schoolbooks close to her chest, Maddie felt a bit sorry for her new classmate.  It was too early to call her a friend but in a way she hoped that they would be.  Alice looked like she needed a good friend, one who could help her feel not so neglected.  Despite her father's way of doing business, Maddie knew that he loved her and aunt Liz.

Looking around the classroom, Maddie saw a few empty desks but before she could sit down, she knew she had to present herself to the teacher.  Going up to the desk at the front, she smiled.  Miss Fletcher had noticed her arrival, nodded, "Good morning, I take it you are Miss Richards."

"Yes ma'am," Maddie replied in a timid tone, "Where would you like me to sit."

Miss Fletcher made a mark in the roll before point over to one of the vacant desks, "You can take one of the empty ones next to Miss Whaley since you both are acquainted already.

Maddie nodded and made her way to her seat.  She smiled at some of the other students, who mostly ignored her.  Considering that more ignored her, Maddie surmised that they had already assumed that she was a friend of Alice or they knew something about her father.  She didn't know why they didn't like Alice but if it was because of her father, than so be it.

Sitting down at her desk, she smiled at Alice who had gotten there just before her, "Looks like it's going to be just you and me."

Liked 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

Together they made their way into the classroom. Alice briefly stuck by Maddie's side but noticed scrutinizing looks from some of the girls.

As much as she wished that the two of them could be friends, she didn't want to hurt her new classmate's chance at being accepted by the others. Perhaps it was already too late, but she was willing to make the sacrifice.

Averting her gaze, she quietly sidelined to her usual place by the crystalline window. Though the world outside the window beckoned, her focus remained set upon the interaction taking place at the front of the quadrangular room.

A hush seemed to befall the students then, and though they feigned disinterest, things were very much the opposite in case. Listening, some possibly recognized the girl's surname, and still, others might go home that evening and sleuth more information from their families. In any event, judgment would be passed.

Alice tensed when she heard her own name from across the room. So much for being inconspicuous, were they fated to be friends?

Before she knew it, Maddie was seated close by.

"Looks like it's going to be just you and me."

She appeared to already sense the nature of things at Miss Harris' school. Alice offered back an understanding smile.

“You may be better off without me,” she warned… an evident sadness in her voice. With that, the bell rang.

Liked 1

Madeleine Richards

Student
?Years Young
6 Posts

There wasn't much time for Maddie to ponder Alice's strange statement as she spent most of the class trying to get a hold on where they were up to in various subjects.  The school wasn't that big and most of the time she would be in this room with only the teachers changing.  She would probably have to wait until later to ask her new friend what she had meant.

When the bell rang for recess, the other students quickly filed out leaving only her and Alice in the room.  She smiled, "Look, I can't say I understand what you meant by what you said earlier but maybe I can help out a little by telling you something about me."

Shifting her seat around to face Alice, she continued, "Depending on who you ask, I can be one of a few things.  Some people want nothing to do me because of the way my father does business.  Others feel sorry for me and then there are those who have no idea what to make of me.  Only those who really got to know me know what I'm really like and I would like you to be one of those.  We all have our millstones and in my case it's my father.  I love him dearly but I hear things about him from the other kids and I don't know.  What I do know is that he loves me and that's all that really matters."