Started by Dixon Steele at Jun 08, 2020 3:52 PM
January 18, 1924
7 Posts

Dixon Steele

Smuggler, alcohol, drugs, guns.
?Years Young
3 Posts

"If you need it, I got it, or I can get it!"

Hollywood Florida was not Dixon Steele's favorite place, but there were contacts and potential business to be conducted. There he would meet with associates from several communities that he regularly dealt with in an effort to open a new market for the cocaine that they had stumbled into. In other words, they had not sought it out, thank you, Senior Diaz.

No, where Dixon wanted to be was in Sanford, on the Saint Johns River. A quaint little town founded in 1913, and the county seat of Seminole County, a quiet place, and the town where Nora Temple called home. So, Dixon Steele bought a home there, the nicest place in town, one of those Victorians of which there were several in town.

But, that fact of the matter was, he was in Hollywood, and things were coming along just fine with the new product available, as well as the other items that the three men could offer out of the island nation. He would credit O’Rourke for that, he had been the one to make the initial connections over there. And the boat? Nothing could touch it as far as speed and handling. Jimmy had made the run from the island to Key West in just over eight hours once.

Everything seemed to be going smoothly, but there was an undercurrent of ire, perhaps because this new market was just one more that Steele represented, one more market he and his partners controlled. And there had to be partners for an operation like that. On the other hand, Steele kept the products coming, at good prices, so really, there was no room for complaints. Unless someone wanted to take over.

Liked 1

Dixon Steele

?Years Young
3 Posts

There were those that did not like Dixon Steele because not everybody likes everyone, just a fact of life. With gangsters, racketeers, whatever they want to be, or are called among themselves, it was a lead pipe cinch there were rivalries, this new product that really wasn’t new, but a revived product and at a much better price would soothe rivalries until the market became crowded. Then, things would change

Dixon held his meeting at a private club in downtown Hollywood. Yet for all the flamboyance, six men were present, all from the Northern part of the state, scattered so as not to cramp anyone’s ability to make a good profit. That was how he operated. That was what made it so difficult to cry foul on him and make it stick.

“So gentlemen, samples all around should make your decisions easier, and no, I don’t need your orders today. You have enough to share, get a good idea of what the general reception will be.” He explained in typical Dixon Steele fashion. No pressure, no rush, ample time to explore what sales were going to look like. Because either you placed an order or you didn’t, and it was clear that they could fill any order and make delivery on it.

Finally, the men gathered had all the information they needed, including projected delivery times. Everyone realized that like any number of products, this one was also coming out of Cuba.

“Thank you gentlemen for your time.” He said in closing, and that led to handshaking back-slapping and light complementary conversations without mentioning the new product. It was how things were done.  

TBC

Dixon Steele

?Years Young
3 Posts

The day had slipped into evening before he knew it. A strange call from Nails about a looney bin and some guy he was going to see and if he was still in Hollywood he would swing by. Knowing Michael as he did, there was simply no telling what this was all about, but the story would be good.

There was no sense trying to reach Sanford until daylight, Dix was tired and hungry and he had learned to listen to his body about things like that. He did better when he paid attention, Nora had taught him that. So a long-distance call to let her know he was okay and staying the night and for her not to worry he would be there for breakfast.

Many things weigh on men on the other side of the law, but for Dixon Steele, the most important was Nora Temple. He was not one to take chances, perhaps the business with the jews was different, but though he carried a gun, was not averse to using it, he was not one to go hunting trouble and that was what he liked about Michael and Jimmy, neither were they. Other than being outright threatened, they steered clear of trouble.

There was a knock on the door, a knock only three men knew.

Dixon Steele

?Years Young
3 Posts

There was a knock on the door, a knock only three men knew.

Dixon Steele, sometimes called “Gloves” for the way he handled things, got up out of the wingback chair, 1911 automatic in his hand as he made his way to the hotel room door. “Yea?” He called out as he stepped aside and out of the line of fire.

“Ya wanna open up, Dix?” Came the reply from O’Rourke. Quickly Dix unlocked and opened the door. “Honestly thought you’d be in Sanford by now.”

What drags you up to Hollywood, Mike?” Kinda far from home ain’t you?” It was odd that O’Rourke would travel north, and after dark as well, he like the club life after dark. O’Rourke could dance, he loved it and the ladies did too.

“You familiar with Pembrook Pines Home for the Insane up this way? That’s what drags me up here, and it’s a ways out there.” Michael explained. “One hell of a trip.”

“Pembrook? Yeah, the nuthouse, heard of it, what the hell you doing there?”

“So this Lenny character’s a resident first class. Name’s Leonard H. Renfield, the only clue to this other mug, Smiley. Was in on the bank job with the late Johnny O’Doul. Michael explained. “So, long story short, Sylvester Cole. Maybe he’s Smiley, maybe he’s not, but it’s the only name Lenny the loon let go of. Heard of him?”

“Don’t ring no chimes, but hey, maybe he uses a different moniker. Drink?” Dixon asked.

“Thought you’d never ask.” Was the reply.

“So how’d you get in the place, heard it was a pretty secure operation,” Dixon asked, handing Michael a hall full glass of Tullamore D.E.W.

“Played I was a detective. Used that badge we came by, but I wouldn’t swear I sold it all that well. Of course, I must have done good enough, they let me out.” Michael quipped both men laughed. “The Doc, Christ, he was a piece of work he was!” There was not a thing Michael liked about Emil Janos.

“So you headed back?”

“Yeah. How’d the sales pitch go?” Changing the subject.

Dixon Steele

?Years Young
3 Posts

“Great, and the best news, the Columbians spotted us ten kilos, so we have plenty to put out there, and it’ll be hard to beat our price. Jimmy called with the news just before you got here.” Steele informed him. “I’d say we’ve just cornered the market, which can be as dangerous as it can be profitable.”

“Yeah, but what ain’t these days?” Was the question. More and more it was harder to have any kind of edge in any of the rackets. Turf, now that kept gangs within their disputed borders, not that mobs weren’t willing to fight to take over new territory. The trio didn’t have that problem. They had no turf, they distributed, to everyone. But there were those, like the Jews, that wanted to take their distributorship position for themselves.

“So, what you’re sayin’ is we got what people want, and what people want to take from us, but then, what the hell’s new? Just gonna have to be more cautious with how we deal with these guys.” Michael stated. “I’m not for fightin’, but I’m not about to lie down either.”

Dix smiled, that was the Nails he knew, ready to take on the world to protect what they had built. “So far we got nobody what shows any signs of gettin’ any ideas about our operation, and I got my eyes open for that. So far. Just the same, I think we need to be a bit more security-conscious from now on.”

“Yeah, I think maybe you’re right, at least till we see how things shake out.” Michael agreed. “Okay, I’m headed south. Keep me posted.”

“That I will,” Dix said as Michael got to his feet and they shook hands. He watched his partner walk out the door and dropped into a chair, there was a lot of money to be made, so long as they refrained from getting greedy price-wise, and careless security-wise.

Dixon Steele

?Years Young
3 Posts

He watched his partner walk out the door and dropped into a chair, there was a lot of money to be made, so long as they refrained from getting greedy price-wise, careless security-wise.

That was when the phone rang.

Dixon answered, “Yeah.” Typical fashion for the racketeer.

“Dix, just got a load of those special cigars from Cuba.” It was Jimmy, and there was excitement in his voice. “Diaz stopped by while delivering on the coast. Ten cases, just as he promised. We’re the only one to get this shipment, and it may be that we’re the exclusive dealers for the brand.”

“Exclusive, that’s really good news. Those are the best stogies I’ve tried, so we’ll be on top of the market and I like that.” Both men were talking in code in the event either phone was tapped. It was clear, Diaz very seldom if ever set foot on US soil, and certainly did not make deliveries along the American Coastline for any reason at any time.

“So,” Jimmy began, "I can truck all or part of the load up your way.”

“Best start with two cases, which I can divvy up for our outlets with no problem. You know some is better than none.” Dix specified. “I’ll be looking for it at the warehouse. Of which there was no such thing, and certainly they had no truck for deliveries, unless it was for cases of alcohol, and that would be by necessity. No, the cocaine would come by boat, with Jimmy at the helm.

“Fair enough, it’ll be on it’s way tomorrow,” Jimmy announced. “Be talkin’ to you.”

“Yeah.” And both men hung up. The new supply of the narcotic would be headed north within the hour.