No Rest for the Wicked

Started by Maude Tillery at May 28, 2020 9:39 PM
February 17, 1924
31 Posts

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

It had been a good day, exhausting but satisfying.  Sure, it had just been the usual stream of sniffles, cuts and sprains, and there'd been an emergent patient here and there...Mrs. Sanders had had a stroke and had been sent to the hospital with her husband in their car, and little Audie Martin had a compound fracture of his arm, fortunately right around the same time that Mrs. Sanders was there, and Mr. Sanders had been kind enough to drive the boy and his mother to the hospital with his wife.

Maude was enjoying working with Dr. Steele, he allowed her to work on her own and didn't second-guess her, but if she came to him with a question or consultation, he didn't mock her or make her feel stupid, and he even consulted with her on occasion, boosting her confidence, whether intentionally or not.

Now, as she left the clinic, her bag clutched in her hand, she walked through the cool evening air, headed home.  She was just looking forward to taking Hammy for a quick walk, grabbing something to eat and then soaking in the tub for an hour!

Liked 2

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
45 Posts

She did not know it but the young woman was being watched, though not specifically. The two men sitting in the car across the street had been observing the clinic front for some time now. They were certain it was closed and since this woman had come out of the place that must mean she was employed in there. Most likely a nurse. Well, they wanted a doctor but really a nurse might do too. The place was dark now so no likely doctor was around at this point. A quick exchange followed and it was decided they'd take this one then. Both men exited the vehicle and closed in from behind on their target.

"Hey, lady! Ya'll dropped this!" one called out.

Arden Sorley

He actually had nothing in his hand but it was dark and by the time the woman could figure that out they'd be close enough she wouldn't have to react and get away. The second man was approaching her at an angle just in case she broke and ran, he could cut her off.

R.E. Dunn

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

Maude heard the call and didn't think anything of it, besides a couple of gentlemen just being polite, and she turned to face the one who had addressed her.

"I don't think I dropped anything," she replied, after all, her medical bag was still clutched in her hand, and there was nothing else to drop, "thank you, though." 

Smiling, she gave him a nod, then continued on her way, feeling a twinge of unease as the second man seemed to be making a flanking move.  She stopped then, to face them boldly.

"Can I help you gentlemen?"

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
45 Posts

"Hey, wait up once," the first man grumped.

The second, clad in that white suit and hat of his, stood out almost like a ghost in the dark as he too closed in from the side. She was spooked by now, they both could tell. But she did turn to face them, bold enough of her. Least she didn't scamper like a rabbit.

"Yeah, you can help us alright, lady. Are you a nurse? We have a family member who needs some medical attention," the first explained.

"No hospital either, we don't like hospitals," added the one in white.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"Doctor," Maude corrected, squaring her shoulders, although she was considerably dwarfed by the men.  "And if someone needs help, a hospital is probably the best place for them."

Not that she minded helping, although they certainly could have asked more nicely.  "I'm done for the day, on my way home, gentlemen.  I'm sorry..."

Sighing, she took a breath.  Seemed like there wasn't going to be a bath tonight.  After all, the clinics were closed, and if they needed a doctor...

"I'll take a look, but I can't promise anything."

Liked 1

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
45 Posts

"Doctor? You're a woman," R.E. looked surprised (he's the one in white).

Arden gave her a frown but said nothing more on the subject. These big cities, you could run into everything and every kind it seemed. Whatever happened to women knowing their place in the scheme of things. Well, his sister was one of these new sort of womenfolk. Times were changing.

She was not sounding too cooperative at first so Arden was about to clarify that they were not asking her to go with them, but telling her to do so. Now if he had to, he'd manhandle her into their car but she was going - like it or not.

"I'll take a look, but I can't promise anything."

There!  That was more like it. Arden nodded, "Yeah, we ain't lookin' for promises, lady. Just some help patching my kid brother up. He ain't on death's doorstep but he does need lookin' at."

"Our car is over there. It's a short ride," he declared, the first sentence was true.

R.E. Dunn hovered to one side of her still on the alert if this broad had a sudden change of mind.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"All right, then."  Maude ignored the comment about being a doctor and a woman, she'd heard it often enough that she didn't let it bother her, and besides, she had never had any notion that everyone she encountered would embrace the idea. 

Getting in the car was a little disconcerting, but it made sense if they had to get to the man's little brother, and she had taken an oath to protect life, so she slid into the back seat.

"What happened to your brother?  And how old is he?" The conversation would help ease her nerves, and any information she had ahead of time would assist in forming a plan of action.  She also realized that this was unconventional, and it was probably best not to ask too many questions.

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
45 Posts

Arden got behind the wheel, the woman was directed to sit in the front passenger seat and creepy R.E. clambered into the back seat. As soon as the last door was shut, Arden put the car in gear and took off, he had left the engine running. In just seconds, he was setting a good pace, taking a few corners at a high rate of speed. Fortunately there was very little traffic.

She had questions. Well, Arden figured that was natural. RE spoke up first.

"Idjit got hisself shot."

Arden interjected, "A hunting accident. Those things happen."

"Hell!  Yer brotha in law had one," chuckled RE.

"Shuddup!" Arden snapped.

She had asked how old his brother was, that was a tougher one to answer.

"As for his age...umm, not exactly sure. Maybe sixteen...seventeen. Everyone says he looks younger though," Arden replied.

The car was now taking a route out of Miami proper and into the boonies.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
153 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

The ride was really a bit exhilarating, Maude thrilled to the speed of the car, and the touch of danger in screeching around corners and dodging other cars.

But her suspicions were rising as the guy started to tell her about the patient...'hunting accident' was certainly plausible, but not knowing their brother's age?  And the accents...

"Are you gentlemen from around here?" she asked, making small talk, hoping her suspicions were wrong.  "I'm from up north, Lynn, Massachusetts, between Salem and Boston.  I don't think I'm going to miss the snow!"

Liked 1

The Narrator

Storyteller
?Years Young
45 Posts

"Well, east of someplace, that's a fact," Arden smirked, fully aware how useless that answer was to the woman's inquiry.

"Ah, a Yankee woman doctor, why am I not surprised. Down here women know their place and it ain't ta try to take the place of men," he added.

RE now tacked onto the conversation, "I don't get it. Why didn't you just become a nurse?"