Solving a Problem

Started by Eric Richards at May 16, 2020 2:43 AM
February 29, 1924
4 Posts

Eric Richards

Businessman
?Years Young
3 Posts

To be successful in business, you have to be ruthless.

Eric put down the morning edition of The Miami Herald he had been reading and took another bite of his breakfast.  He smiled as he thought about how things had gone.  The acquisition of a small manufacturing plant in northern Florida had gone without a hitch.  It helped that the previous owner had been willing to part with it so soon after he had presented the man with evidence of a number indiscretions.

He didn't feel guilty that the man had lost everything he had worked for because of the fact that the man had bought it on himself.  Making deals with a couple of shady characters from New York was not the way to do business.  Thankfully, the New Yorkers were a couple of nobodies who were trying to use the plant to make cheap car parts that broke after a few uses.  There would be no problems with them, especially after he hinted that he knew they were on run from authorities in that city.

After a few minutes, his aunt Liz came into the room.  She had moved in a few years ago when he asked to help care of Maddie.  Maddie's mother had moved out and he had made sure that his wife would have no access to their daughter.  Liz was the youngest sister of his mother, Molly and she had been a godsend.  There was a few people he let into his inner circle and Liz was one of them.

Looking up, he smiled, "Good morning, Liz."

Liz faced him with a disgruntled look on her face, "What so good about it? You still haven't told me what you plan to do with Maddie."

"Oh that," he answered in a slightly jovial tone.

"Yes that," Liz said, "She's been home for nearly two weeks now."

Seeing that Liz was a bit agitated, Eric got up and touched her shoulders to reassure her, "Don't worry, I've got it all under control.  I've found a new school for her the other day and I planned to tell you both this morning before I left for the office."

"Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?"  A huge sigh of relief escaped from her, "Sometimes, I wish you would let me know."

"I wish I could too but..."  He bowed his head a little and made his way back to his seat.  Maybe one day, he would change but it wasn't going to be today.  Turning his attention back his newspaper, he continued to read it until Maddie made an appearance.

TBC

Eric Richards

Businessman
?Years Young
3 Posts

Five minutes later, Maddie came in, giving everyone there a pleasant good morning.  Eric put down his paper for a moment and returned the greeting.  As the meal progressed, the three of them chatted about various topics and what they were up to for the rest of the day.

When Maddie had finished most of her meal, Eric decided that now was the time to tell her of his decision.  He knew there would be a protest, but he was ready for it.

"Maddie, I've decided that from Monday you will be attending Miss Harris' school in Palm City."

His daughter was about to say something, so he put up his hand in a stopping motion, "Now, before you tell me how much you don't want to go there, I would like to let you know why."

Maddie nodded her head in compliance and took a sip of juice.  Seeing that she was ready, Eric continued, "I know you have friends there and you may see them on weekends but I can't risk sending you to a school where they care so little for the children they are supposed to be looking after.  Hiring a teacher who failed in his duty and let a group of young girls, including you wander the streets of Miami alone while he was...well let's go into that."

He looked at Maddie for a moment, before sternly saying, "I put the blame of this whole fiasco upon those who would put someone of such a dubious nature in charge of a school outing.  Added to the fact that you also chose to go with your friends made this worse and those are the reasons why I am sending you to another school."

TBC

Madeleine Richards

Student
?Years Young
1 Post

Maddie wrinkled her nose at the prospect of going to a new school.  It was no use protesting as her father had already made up his mind.  Even though she was only thirteen, she already knew that when her father made a decision that was it.  Thinking about it, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  That was something the people at her old school would now have to contend with, especially Mr. Joyner, whom she suspected would never be able to teach again anywhere in the country after her father had finished with him.

She was only just starting to learn about how her father dealt with those who displeased him.  It wasn't anything he did or said to her but it was from hearing rumours and stories about what he had done in the past.  Hearing how her father treated some people was confusing to her as the man she knew was loving and caring, especially to her and Aunt Liz.  Even those who her called her father a friend seemed to like him a lot.

Knowing that it would be a long time before she would be able to work out what sort of man her father really was, Maddie turned her attention to the problem at hand.  "I've heard that some of the teachers at Miss Harris' school are a bunch of bluenoses and Mrs Grundys.  Are you sure you want me to go there?"

TBC

Eric Richards

Businessman
?Years Young
3 Posts

Eric raised an eyebrow at his daughter's question, "Maybe a bunch of bluenoses and Mrs. Grundys is what you need.  Maybe you'll learn something about not wandering around the streets on your own without suitable adult supervision."

A smile appeared on his face, "But then again, maybe you don't."

A part of him knew that she had learned something from this experience.  She had the last two weeks to think about her decision to go with her friends, as well as the consequences of making it.  Maddie was growing up and becoming a young lady and no doubt she would make many more bad choices before she came of age.

Maddie smiled at her father as she was satisfied with his answer and continued having breakfast.  Aunt Liz then started to engage her in a conversation about a shopping trip later in the day.

Since the conversation didn't interest him much, Eric continued to read the newspaper. A few minutes later he turned the page and saw the photo.  It was a picture of her at some party with a married couple he knew who had just come back from some overseas trip.  It was logical that her picture would be in the paper since she was an employee and that her job was to report on Miami's elite, so it shouldn't have surprised him but it did.  Every time he saw her was a pleasure but most of the time of it was fleeting or in the newspaper.

Ever since they had ended their relationship, she had been avoiding him like the plague.  Even if they happened to be at the same party, which wasn't often since he was too busy to attend most parties he was invited to, she would turn tail and go in the opposite direction as soon as she saw him.  Vickie didn't like the way he did things and that was her problem.  If she couldn't accept him as the way was then that was that...or was it?

A question from Maddie, bought him out of his reverie.  He folded the newspaper and placed it on the table and turned his attention to his daughter.