Started by Mark Carson at May 16, 2020 1:40 AM
March 20, 1924
4 Posts

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
23 Posts

"How can you hate someone if you don't know them."

Mark waved to the clerk as he made his way past the reception desk of the Hotel Duquesne.  Most of the people who worked were getting to know him as he was visiting here at least once a week to see either Liam, his sister Jessica or both.  Some of them knew of his connection to the MacLeods while others didn't but it probably wouldn't be long before they did.  It was no secret that he was Liam's son - it was just something they didn't go broadcasting around.

As he made his way to the elevator he thought about the telephone call he hadn't gotten the other day. To say that he was surprised to hear from them for the first time in about three years was an understatement.  The last time it was only a quick job but the call indicated that this time they wanted something more.  What it was exactly they didn't say as they wanted a face-to-face meeting.  They had picked his father's hotel due to the fact that it wouldn't look odd or arouse any suspicions.

Stepping inside the elevator, he told the operator the floor he wanted to go.  Thankfully, the one who was there this evening was new, so he didn't have to work out some sort of explanation, not that he needed.  Most of the hotel's employees were discrete and were following an edict from management to respect their guests' privacy.

When the elevator reached the floor, Mark got out and slowly made his way down the hall to the room number he had been given.  He soon found the room and knocked on the door.

TBC

Liked 1

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
23 Posts

It took only a minute or so, before the door opened.  The man inside smiled as he ushered Mark in. "Glad you could make it."

Mark frowned, "It was not as if I had a choice now is it?"

The man nodded, "No you didn't but you knew that when you signed up for all those years ago."

"Yeah, I did.  I see you've gotten a bit of tan since the last time I saw you."

George Bishop smiled, "Yes, the weather in the Bahamas is good at this time of year.  Not too hot and not too cold.  Thankfully, my assignment there will be over by the summer.  Then I'll be heading back to Washington to work at the embassy."

"You'll definitely lose what's left of your accent by then," Mark said in a slightly humourous tone.

"Probably,"  George made his way over to the sideboard and picked up a glass, "Can I offer you a drink?"

"No thank you. I'm meeting my father after this for dinner and you know I was never much of drinker."

"Yes, I remember."  He poured himself, a glass of whiskey before sitting down.

Mark made his way to the chair opposite and sat down.  "Now, I know you didn't call me to chat about old times."

"No I didn't. Remember that time in Paris during the war when we were both after that cabaret singer?"

"If I remember rightly, she ended up picking that corporal who had the lisp...and the big bank account."

"She was a beauty."  George took a sip of his whiskey, "I guess we better get down to business."

Leaning back in his chair, Mark waited patiently for George to tell him, why he had been recalled again.

TBC

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
23 Posts

George leaned forward, "Basically, what we want you to do is courier work.  We have agents in various places that need to get information out and recent developments have opened up which we thought we would take advantage of."

"Recent developments?" Mark sighed, "You know about my family connections, then?"

"Of course, we do, ol' chap but that wasn't the only thing.  Your getting posted to Miami also helped."

Mark thought about how it didn't surprise him that they knew.  "And being a courier is all that you want me to do?"

"Yes.  Your brothers' frequent cruises to the Caribbean and your father's hotel give you the perfect cover.  No-one would look like twice at you spending a weekend cruise with your brothers or visiting your father and sister here."

"You've got a point," Mark replied.

For the next few minutes, he thought about what the British wanted him to do.  The SIS had been good to him in the past and he did enjoy his time with them, especially during the war.  If it was only courier work, then he would be okay with that.  Anything more than that and the answer would be no.

"All right, I'll do it but that's it."

George's clapped his hands once, "Splendid. I knew we could count on. We've already got the first meeting lined up.  It will be on the weekend of April fourth.  Our contact will be on the cruise, which by the way is a private party organised by Vivian Flanders, that you now have an invitation to."

He went over to the desk against the wall and pulled out an envelope from the drawer.  Walking back to Mark, he continued, "We were able to procure this for you which through our sources.  The only problem is that you will have to think of way to explain to your brothers how you got invited in the place."

A wry smile appeared on Mark's face, "That will be interesting to say the least."

After taking the envelope, he placed it inside his coat.  "I'm guessing that's it for now."

"For the most part.  Inside the envelope you have your instructions which I know you will get rid of in the usual manner."  George paused, "However, there is something we found out that you should know about."

The way George had sounded told Mark that it wasn't good news.  "It can be only one of two things.  It's either about my past or it has something to do with my family."

TBC

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
23 Posts

George nodded, "In a way, it's both.  We were quite surprised when you got transferred and we decided to find out if there was anything to it.  After a bit of digging, we hit a brick wall.  All I can say is that there was someone who wanted you to come here to Miami and whoever it is, they have a lot of money, power or both behind them."

Mark frowned, "They obviously wanted me to connect with my family...that's only reason I can think of. But why would they?  The only person in the MacLeod family that doesn't have a dubious past is Jess, so I doubt this has something to do with her.

"You're right but in this case it happens to be your father.  What we know is that all this has something to do with him. Other than that, we are just as blind as you are.  We'll keep our ears open but unless it turns out to be something that involves the British government, we can't help you out that much."

"I know," Mark sighed, "I guess it will be up to me to find out who it is."

"Or your father.  I know he has considerable resources at his disposable. Maybe you should tell him."

A deeper sigh escaped this time, "Telling him would open up a can of worms.  Liam would want to know where and how I got the information.  He's that kind of man.  You have to be one hundred percent up front with him if you want his respect and I want it.  Also, there's no way of knowing how my brothers will react either.  Leaving them out of the loop is not a good idea either."

Going over to George, he held out his hand, "Thanks for the warning."

George took Mark's hand and shook it heartily, "It's the least we can do.  You're a good man and I would hate to see anything change that."

After making their final goodbyes, Mark left the room and went over to the elevator.  He had a lot of thinking to do about this new development and who was behind it all.