Don't Come A-Knockin' on My Door

Started by Tommy Sloan at Apr 30, 2020 6:45 PM
January 23, 1924
43 Posts

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
79 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

"Figures. Jefferson Avenue it is, then. You wanna meet up at this 'dance hall joint,' or you want me to pick you up here? Well, not pick you up. I don't have a car. But, you know, walk you over there?"

Gracie shook her head, "It's too far to walk especially if we would get caught in the rain. I'm not dolling up for I can end up looking like a drowned cat."

"A gentleman takes the lady on a date, least wise how I learned it. You could pay for a cab? Or if you must we can meet there then," she sighed.

"I can take a cab myself I suppose."

Johnnie had always picked her up and saw to she got back home even when they first met. Once they were together when it was time to go out for fun, they were inseparable. She had to remind herself this wasn't Johnnie, he was a prince.

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
50 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

"I can take a cab myself I suppose."

Tommy tried not to wince. A cab would be expensive. But, if he got to go out with Gracie and they had a nice time, it would be worth it. He would pay for the cab, and probably end up paying for the meal, but like Gracie said, that was what a gentleman did.

"Well, we can't have you looking like a drowned cat," he grinned. "All right, a cab it is. I'll be by Monday around eight. Does that sound all right?"

Eight o'clock was a decent time, he thought. Not too late as to seem indecent to any nosy neighbors Gracie might have, but still early enough for them to have a few hours of talking and dancing. He hoped he was remembering her day off correctly, but he was fairly sure he was right.

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
79 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

"Well, we can't have you looking like a drowned cat," he grinned.

"No we can't, Tommy," Gracie smiled right back.

"All right, a cab it is. I'll be by Monday around eight. Does that sound all right?"

Gracie nodded immediately, "Yeah Monday at eight is fine. I will be waiting downstairs by the front of the building. Just pull up and I'll see ya and come on out."

"And hon," she paused for few seconds, "Don't be nervous. It's just going out for a good time. Dancing. It's a whole lot easier than robbin' a bank."

She grinned then her eyes sparkling. And with that she opened the apartment door for him, "You take care til then, Tommy."