Don't Come A-Knockin' on My Door

Started by Tommy Sloan at Apr 30, 2020 6:45 PM
January 23, 1924
43 Posts

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
79 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

Gracie waited as seconds ticked by, wondering if he was thinking along the same lines as her.

"I sure do now." Tommy let his hand linger by her hair.

His eyebrows drew together a little bit. "Gosh, Gracie..."

"Yes...Tommy?" she was waiting for it. Was he getting ready to kiss her back only this time on the lips?

But, turned out he was not. She had thought she had been  giving out the right signals but nothing happened. Alrighty, then. She drew back then as he spoke.

"I've really gotta go. But do you wanna get dinner on your day off next week?"

"Oh, ummm, well if you gotta," she sighed a little but then he followed that up by getting back to that original date business, way back from on the Chanteuse.

"Tommy.....we been thru this...." she didn't finish the thought though as she almost seemed to study him.

"Alright, sure...I guess.....yeah," Gracie nodded.

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
55 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

Tommy frowned, letting his hand drop as Gracie moved back. He knew he'd disappointed her, but that was the way it was. She'd said she didn't go out with feds, but she kissed him on the cheek, which confused him.

It wasn't that he didn't know what to do next; he did. If it had been any other girl, he wouldn't have hesitated to kiss her on the mouth. But for once, he actually stopped to think things through before acting.

He hoped in a way that his offer of dinner would smooth things over. Even if she said no, it was the thought that counted, wasn't it? He waited breathlessly to hear her answer, tense as she started to refuse...he thought. But she ended up accepting the offer.

He gave her a small grin. "Not an official date. I'll probably have more questions to ask you about Johnnie by then. So if anyone asks, you can tell them you had to go out with me."

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
79 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

Gracie was quite certain that Tommy actually did not understand the seriousness of the whole thing - a girl like her going out with a law type. If word got around and the wrong people got wind of it, maybe - just maybe - somebody would get worried that something she knew from her past association with Johnnie might get blabbed to the authorities. Let's face it, criminals were paranoid. Nevertheless she said 'yes' to his request. Call it loneliness, it sure wasn't being smart.

"Not an official date. I'll probably have more questions to ask you about Johnnie by then. So if anyone asks, you can tell them you had to go out with me."

"Oh it's not a real date even? Just another interrogation? That sounds like a real flat tire* to me, hon," she raised one eyebrow.

"So what kinda place you plan on taking me for this unofficial date? Your office? Your apartment?"

*slang for a 'dull date'

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
55 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

Tommy did not understand the serious of the whole thing. He just wanted dinner with Gracie and answers to his questions. She'd given him answers and said yes to the date, but now it seemed like she didn't really want to go. He didn't consider the fact that he had been acting just as confusingly as she had been.

He spread his hands in exasperation. Yes, the "date" sounded dull when you put it the way Gracie was putting it, but he didn't mean for it to be dull. Or an interrogation.

"Gracie, don't be like that. It's not an interrogation. We don't have to call it a date if you don't want to. We can call it whatever you want to call it."

He took a few agitated paces back and forth, running his fingers through the front of his hair. "Are you just being difficult because I'm a fed? Is that it? Because I don't have to ask you to dinner. I can take it back, if you want."

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
79 Posts

Suddenly he seemed a bit flustered or maybe he was ready to lose his temper with her. Why? Because she wasn't like most women who behaved like the man was always right and knew best? Hell, she hadn't always even agreed with Johnnie but she never faltered in her loyalty to him. Why? Because he had treated her right.

"Gracie, don't be like that. It's not an interrogation. We don't have to call it a date if you don't want to. We can call it whatever you want to call it."

"I'm doing that already, I'm calling it a 'flat tire'," she snapped back.

"Are you just being difficult because I'm a fed? Is that it? Because I don't have to ask you to dinner. I can take it back, if you want."

"I'm being difficult? Really? You asked me out and what did I answer? Yes, I'd go out with you. So now you are gonna be an Indian giver and take it back?" the young blonde countered.

"But - if yer askin' what I want? My idea of a date is to go out and have some fun. And the person who asks me out wants to show me a good time. And forget all that's goin' on in the world for that one night but just relax and enjoy each other's company."

There - she couldn't make it any more clear.

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
55 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

Tommy stared at her askance. "No, I'm not gonna take it back! Not unless you want me to."

He came back to stand in front of her, shoving his hands in his pockets. "...if you're askin' what I want?" Those words got his attention, and he figured he'd better pay attention.

"My idea of a date is to go out and have some fun. And the person who asks me out wants to show me a good time. And forget all that's goin' on in the world for that one night but just relax and enjoy each other's company."

Well, those were all fine things to want on a date, all things that Tommy would want. And now he finally figured out where he had gone wrong. His proposed date with Gracie wouldn't be any of the things he wanted.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, Gracie. What you just said...that's what I want our date to be. I just...well..."

He didn't know how to say what he was thinking. He'd wanted her to be free to say no, but the way he'd talked about the date made it seem like an obligation. And as much as he wanted to go out with Gracie, he knew that wasn't a good way to begin.

"I'm sorry," he repeated, shrugging. That was as good as he could do for now, with all the details about Johnnie and the robbery swirling in his head.

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
79 Posts

Now he declared he wouldn't withdraw his dating request. Alright then, Gracie continued, trying to get thru to him what she wanted out of a date. It sure as hell wasn't interrogations or business.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, Gracie. What you just said...that's what I want our date to be. I just...well..."

Gracie stood there, hands on hips.  Well now what was botherin' him?

"I'm sorry," he repeated, shrugging.

With a sigh she now declared, "You said that already. So are we going on this date then? If so, let's plan it out. A girl likes to know the when and where so she can figure out how she wants to look when they get there."

Then she smiled, "Do you dance? I know a good jazz band. We could go dancing?"

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
55 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

Tommy exhaled and stuck his hands back in his pockets. Thank God Gracie was more understanding than he thought she was going to be.

"Yeah, we're going." He gave her a tiny smile, a sort of apologetic one and listened as she suggested going dancing. He liked dancing, but most of the places where dancing happened were speaks.

"I'm a pretty decent dancer," he said mildly. "Where does this band of yours play?"

He asked mostly out of curiosity, but partly to know if they would be going to a speakeasy. He had snagged a few drinks since he'd been in Miami, but had mostly tried to stay away from speaks to help his image with the bureau. If this date had to be mentioned in his report, he wanted to be able to come up with an "alternate" location to put in the report.

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
79 Posts

She made her pitch then for dancing. She had always liked to dance and people said she was good at it too, she at least was certainly enthusiastic enough about it. She hadn't been out dancing since Johnnie had taken her. One of the many things she missed about her old life.

Well, least he didn't say 'no'. After assuring her they were going out, he continued with a question, one she pretty much figured he would bring up. She knew exactly why too.

"I'm a pretty decent dancer. Where does this band of yours play?"

She grinned, "In a club."   Of course that told him very little but she could indeed be a tease.

"It's on the North side, off of Jefferson Avenue I think. I can find it by sight though, don't worry," she now gave the details.

"And it's a dance club, band every night and a big dance floor. But since I know this is important to you - it don't serve booze. They got busted a couple of times."

However in the interest of being totally honest with him, she added, "Actually they got another room where that is and if you ask around you can get in but those who don't know or don't care about that sort of thing can't even see that entrance. So for all practical purposes it's a dance hall joint."

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
55 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

Gracie grinned as she answered his question about where the band played, and Tommy couldn't help but grin back. A club. Of course it was a club. But was a club that served booze? It wasn't.

He was about to breath a sigh of relief when she went on. "Actually they got another room where that is and if you ask around you can get in but those who don't know or don't care about that sort of thing can't even see that entrance. So for all practical purposes it's a dance hall joint."

So they did serve booze, but on the downlow. Well, what could you expect from a dance hall joint? He shrugged a little, expressing nonchalance. As long as there wasn't a raid on the place while he and Gracie were there, it should be fine.

"Figures. Jefferson Avenue it is, then. You wanna meet up at this 'dance hall joint,' or you want me to pick you up here? Well, not pick you up. I don't have a car. But, you know, walk you over there?"