Out On the Town

Started by Mary-Alice Whaley at Apr 09, 2020 6:19 PM
January 24, 1924
65 Posts

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
183 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

As to Gracie's question, the girl admitted she hadn't given it much thought. Least the young miss was being honest about it. Gracie wasn't about to pressure her into anything, she was not her parent or guardian.

“I guess I should go back,” Alice sadly concluded.

"At some point, yeah, kiddo," Gracie nodded sympathetically.

Alice's gaze shifted between Gracie and Tommy as she uneasily sought support. “But what explanation do I give?”

Tommy had an idea and blurted out, "You could lie? Say you were kidnapped but managed to escape."

Gracie frowned, "Whoa! That's not a good idea. What if this Miss Harris wants to call the coppers then and they start asking loads of questions. One lie can turn into a whole mess of lies and you might just get into worse trouble."

Loved 1 Made Me Laugh 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"Tell me everything that happened, tell me everything you saw."

"You could lie? Say you were kidnapped but managed to escape." 

Tommy always seemed to have an answer… or at least a way out of difficult situations. Of course, his savoir-faire was a good thing considering their earlier predicament.

Gracie, however, didn't seem so keen.

"Whoa! That's not a good idea. What if this Miss Harris wants to call the coppers then and they start asking loads of questions. One lie can turn into a whole mess of lies and you might just get into worse trouble."

The beautiful blonde made a valid point as well.

Alice felt torn. Gracie and Tommy were like the quintessential angel and devil duo, who urged good or bad actions.

While she had never been one to sneak or lie, it did seem to be happening more and more often. Of course, in her mind, it was all justified.

"I know I should tell the truth, but Miss. Harris wouldn't understand my leaving school to see a boy," she explained side glancing Tommy. The headmistress was prudish and was likely to misinterpret their escapade.

Her brows furrowed in thought.

“If she finds out, I may never see either of you again!”

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
183 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

Tommy nodded as Gracie pointed out the flaws in his suggestion. That's one of the things he liked about her, she thought about things he often didn't.

"Right, you shouldn't say that," was his new advice to Alice.

"I know I should tell the truth, but Miss. Harris wouldn't understand my leaving school to see a boy," Alice explained side glancing Tommy.

Gracie grinned, "Imagine that!"

“If she finds out, I may never see either of you again!”

"Well then, we can't have that can we?" Gracie thought on a moment then brightened, "Alright, then I got a plan. I take you back to your school and talk with this Miss Harris. I will explain that you were missing that long because of me. Then I'll come up with some story about how I needed your assistance and it took longer than I thought and the time got away from us."

She turned to Tommy, "And you aren't going along, we don't want her to even catch a glimpse of you at all. We don't want her to have any suspicions any boy was involved at all."

"But I thought you said she shouldn't lie?" Tommy pointed out, adults could be so confusing.

"I said Alice shouldn't lie. Least not that whopper you wanted her to tell. Me, I can lie cuz I'm doing a good deed, helping this young lady out here. So it's like a white lie not a bad one," Gracie defended her plan.

"Oh, OK dokey!" Tommy was smiling now too.

Loved 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"Tell me everything that happened, tell me everything you saw."

"Well then, we can't have that can we?"

Alice shook her head in response. The very thought of losing Tommy and even Gracie, who she had just met, was too much to consider.

"Alright, then I got a plan. I take you back to your school and talk with this Miss Harris. I will explain that you were missing that long because of me. Then I'll come up with some story about how I needed your assistance and it took longer than I thought and the time got away from us."

Upon hearing Gracie's plan, her troubled expression turned to one of relief. A smile appeared, "Oh! You would do that?" Her tone held more surprise than question.

Going back and facing Miss Harris together didn't seem as daunting as it had alone.

The young woman informed Tommy then that he would stay behind. The boy seemed confused by her contrary thinking related to honesty. Gracie explained her rationale, however, and that seemed enough to convince him.

Alice was simply grateful for the help and the brief reprieve. "Thank you, Gracie!" she gushed, propelling forward to hug her.

She flitted then to Tommy's side. "Thanks for today… I won't forget it." It had been one of the best days that she could remember even under the threat of being taken and worth the trouble that loomed ahead now. An adventure in every sense of the word.

The day meant more, though, and Tommy meant more. “I’ll miss you,” she avowed, sad that their time together was coming to an end.

Loved 1

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
183 Posts

The girl seemed really stunned at her offer but Gracie was sincere.

"Sure I'll do it, hon," she nodded.

"Thank you, Gracie!" Mary-Alice gushed, propelling forward to hug her.

Now it was the woman's turn to be taken by surprise at the enthusiastic hug but she was touched even if she didn't admit it, "Hey, now, now. It's that big a deal."

The girl turned to Tommy then and said her goodbyes, almost as if it was going to be the last time they saw each other. Gracie was amused, young love.

"You'll see him again, don't worry, you two," she assured the girl mostly but included Tommy in on it too.

"It was a lot of fun....like a barrel of monkeys," was all Tommy could think to say, he liked that line.

But he grew more serious for the next part, "She's right, we're gonna be seeing each other again. If I have ta break into that place cuz I will."

Gracie smiled but really she wouldn't put it past the boy.

"Well, let's go then, young lady, we got an appointment with your Miss Harris even if she doesn't know it yet."

ooc: Your next post you can move them on to the school. Gracie would have gotten them a taxi as to their method of arriving at the school.