Started by Mary-Alice Whaley at Apr 09, 2020 6:19 PM
January 24, 1924
64 Posts

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

She seemed to sit there wrapped up in her own thoughts after he showed her the ammunition. So Tommy sipped his soda and let her think on it. Finally she spoke though.

"Why would someone want to hurt Gracie or any person at all?" she questioned.

"I don't know... people are just mean I guess. Some people, not you or Gracie...or me," was about the best the boy could do to answer the unanswerable.

Tommy decided he wasn't quite finished yet in showing things to the girl. In fact he had promised her earlier out on the street to let her see something he thought very exciting. Might as well do it then, good a time as any.

"Like what happened with me, remember I told ya before?" he suddenly started unbuttoning his shirt.

"I told ya I'd show you my knife wound. It doesn't hurt at all anymore but wow, it hurt like the devil when it happened."

Once his shirt was opened down to his waistline he tugged it out of his trousers and just like that proudly showed off his male torso. It never even occurred to him that this sheltered rich girl might not have actually seen a half undressed male before, except in books about Indians maybe.

There was an unmistakeable streak of white scar tissue on his chest, stretching horizontally easily a good four five inches over one pectoral and it had split his male nipple too. Leastwise til the wound had been stitched up. But that was a scar which would never really go away.

Sure some might consider it kind of gory but he regarded it now as almost a badge of courage to be proud of, to glory in, not be sad about.

"Bet you never saw anything like that before, huh?" he grinned.

Loved 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"Tell me everything that happened, tell me everything you saw."

Alice took another sip of soda and thought on his words of people being… just mean. Setting the glass down, she nodded, accepting his answer.

"Like what happened with me, remember I told ya before?" he suddenly started unbuttoning his shirt.

"Tommy!" Alice gasped in surprise once she realized what he was doing. Immediately she closed her eyes and covered them with both her hands.

"I told ya I'd show you my knife wound. It doesn't hurt at all anymore but wow, it hurt like the devil when it happened."

Curiosity got the best of the girl, and her fingers slowly separated. Wide-eyed, she peeked through at him just as he finished unbuttoning his shirt. After all, she had willingly professed that he could tell or show her anything.

She lowered her hands then to reveal flushed cheeks and a timorous expression. Shyly she looked the boy up and down before her gaze settled upon the scar on his chest.

"Bet you never saw anything like that before, huh?" he grinned.

She opened her mouth as if to answer, but nothing initially came out. Her eyes traveled the length of the scar from one end to the other. She noted the irreversible harm that had been inflicted upon the young fellow. It astonished, saddened, and upset her all at the same time, but he seemed to have taken it all in stride.

Finally, a shaky "N...no, never," managed itself out. Never had she seen a male exhibit his torso or a scar like the one he proudly bore. Both counts were shocking, to say the least.

"It sure is a doozy," she acknowledged with a tad more composure. It was apparent to her that the wound would have hurt horribly when it was fresh. Not to mention having it stitched back up afterward!

She came forward with a wistful smile.

"Tommy Kelso, you're the bravest person I know, and I'm thankful you're alive!" she declared forthright.

Liked 2

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

She didn't want to even look at him at first. Tommy hoped suddenly that he wasn't scaring her with his injury? Let's face it, he did it to show off not frighten the girl. But Alice peeked then and then proceeded to study him. Well, he assumed the scar that is.

He was right in his declaration, she admitted she never had seen anything like that. That was a good thing, in Tommy's mind then. Her enthusiasm built.

"It sure is a doozy."

Yes it was! Tommy was elated and then she sweetened the pot with her next line.

"Tommy Kelso, you're the bravest person I know, and I'm thankful you're alive!"

"Aww, don't know about that but thanks. And yeah, I'm pretty glad I'm alive too or otherwise we couldn't have had so much fun ..." he didn't finish his statement though.

There was a clicking sound at the apartment door, Tommy recognized it instantly as a key inserted into the lock and turning. The door then opened and there was Gracie, still in her waitress get up.

"Tommy? What are you doing?" she obviously had not expected this sight.

Tommy smiled as he turned to face her, "Oh hi, Gracie. We just stopped by to visit but you weren't home."

"I think I know that much, kiddo," Gracie was already focusing on the other person in the room.

"And who might this be?" she inquired.

"Oh yeah, ummm, this is Alice. She's a friend of mine," Tommy replied quickly, then glanced at Alice for her own additional response.

Liked 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

The boy fell silent when a noise came from the door. Alice warily looked that way but relaxed when she caught sight of the striking lady, of course, not wielding a gun.

"Tommy? What are you doing?"

From the start of their adventure, the dull propriety she was used to had been cast to the wayside. However, the question worried the girl, and she wondered what Gracie must think of the two of them there.

Thankfully, Tommy went on to explain the situation. Well, sort of.

He mentioned them coming to visit and finding the little apartment unoccupied. Alice listened to their conversation and loyally nodded in support of his elucidation.

Then another question came… about her!

"Oh yeah, ummm, this is Alice. She's a friend of mine,"

She thoughtfully looked from Tommy back to Gracie.

“Hello ma’am, I’m delighted to meet you,” she respectfully greeted with a smile.

“Tommy was just showing me his scar. He told me you helped him when he was hurt. You saved his life!” she ardently exclaimed.

It would be obvious to an attuned observer that the girl held both individuals in high esteem.

Liked 2

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
134 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

“Hello ma’am, I’m delighted to meet you,” the girl respectfully greeted with a smile.

“Tommy was just showing me his scar. He told me you helped him when he was hurt. You saved his life!” she ardently exclaimed.

The blonde smiled at the enthusiasm of the girl.

"Hello Alice. And don't call me ma'am. Makes me sound like an old lady," she replied.

"Call me Gracie. Everyone else does."

She then glanced to Tommy, "And you, will you button your shirt. That's not gentlemanly to be undressing like that in front of a lady. Scar or not."

It was a reprimand but done with no harsh tone, there was a softness in her voice. Tommy nodded and began to work on the buttoning up.

Then it was back to focusing on Alice.

"Saving his life? Hardly. I just remembered when I used to do some sewing back when I was younger, at home. And Tommy, he's a tough kid. He handled it well."

"So ..... Alice. That's a nice dress you got on. Where you from? And please don't tell me Tommy kidnapped you or I'm gonna have to call the coppers," she smiled.

One thing she was quite certain about, this kid was no street kid. Not with that outfit.

Great Idea! 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"Hello Alice. And don't call me ma'am. Makes me sound like an old lady," she replied.

"Call me Gracie. Everyone else does."

Laxity in such instances had never been offered to Alice before. She wasn’t accustomed to calling adults by their first names, but she embraced the opportunity.

“OK, Gracie,” she said with a nod.

Gracie then proceeded to rebuke the boy in regard to his half-undressed state. Her tone, however, was different from that of the other women currently in her life.

Gracie seemed caring, and that caught the girl’s attention.

"Saving his life? Hardly. I just remembered when I used to do some sewing back when I was younger, at home. And Tommy, he's a tough kid. He handled it well."

Alice took one last look at Tommy’s scar as he rectified himself. “Well, you did a good thing,” she praised, smiling then at Gracie.

"So..... Alice. That's a nice dress you got on. Where you from? And please don't tell me Tommy kidnapped you or I'm gonna have to call the coppers,"

“No, but someone wanted to!” she asserted with puzzled alarm, shaking her head.

“I’m from New York but moved here at the end of last year. Now I go to school on Brickell Avenue. That’s where I met Tommy, and sometimes he comes to see me! Isn’t that romantic?” at the last part, she shielded her mouth with a hand and whispered intending for only Gracie to hear.

Furtively she glanced over at Tommy and shrugged.

“Well, today I ran off because I wouldn’t have been able to see him otherwise. He showed me all around town! First, we walked through this really crowded street and bought hot dogs from Signor Modesi. That is when a man came up and talked to us! I didn’t think anything of it until he followed and started asking questions,” her eyes momentarily had a far-off look as if she were visualizing the scene.

“Tommy stood right up to him and then got us both out of there… he was my knight in shining armor!” she fancifully proclaimed.

Liked 1

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
134 Posts

The song is done. The melody lingers on. You and the song are gone. But the melody lingers on.

Gracie had merely been kidding but the girl's answer seemed deadly serious.

“No, but someone wanted to!” the girl asserted, shaking her head.

"Huh?" Gracie blinked.

Tommy was fine with letting Alice continue to tell the story but he was ready to jump right in and back her up if needed.

"I’m from New York but moved here at the end of last year. Now I go to school on Brickell Avenue. That’s where I met Tommy, and sometimes he comes to see me! "

"I see," nodded Gracie.

"Isn’t that romantic? whispered the young miss.

Gracie only grinned, but was unconvinced a boy Tommy's age was all that romantic yet. The girl might well be though. Then Alice delved into the details of that incident with that strange man. Gracie didn't like the sound of that. There could be some real creeps out there in the streets in this part of town.

“Tommy stood right up to him and then got us both out of there… he was my knight in shining armor!” she fancifully proclaimed.

Gracie glanced over to Tommy who immediately added, "He was awful nosey. I started worrying he was gonna grab her and take her with 'im. So I lied then we took off like a bat outta hell."

"Hmmmm, sounds like you guys did the right thing. Alice, this part of town is...well, can be pretty rough at times. Be real careful about who you trust," Gracie remarked.

"So you ran off from school. Aren't you gonna be in hot water when you get back? Your teachers aren't gonna be happy. Let's just hope they don't call the cops," she addressed Alice directly.

Liked 1 Cat's Meow! 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"He was awful nosey. I started worrying he was gonna grab her and take her with 'im. So I lied then we took off like a bat outta hell."

Listening to Tommy, Alice just had to smile. It was a serious theme of discussion, but his genuine way of speaking was amusing to her. Besides, the danger had already passed.

"I lied too," she added as if it were an important fact to be noted… like a confession of guilty conscious or something.

"Hmmmm, sounds like you guys did the right thing. Alice, this part of town is...well, can be pretty rough at times. Be real careful about who you trust,"

Alice nodded in understanding. Despite that one incident, though, she really had a good time and thought Miami to be a wonderful place. Granted, she really hadn't seen the more colorful goings-on of the locale, but it was probably the most up close and personal she had ever been to any one city.

The excursion was novel to her.

"So you ran off from school. Aren't you gonna be in hot water when you get back? Your teachers aren't gonna be happy. Let's just hope they don't call the cops,"

"Yes," she said, thinking now on the situation. Alice knew going in that she'd be in trouble.

"It isn't the teachers you have to worry about; it's the headmistress, Miss. Harris," her tone was oddly reverent. "She's awfully strict."

Suddenly, a perturbed expression presented itself upon her face.

"You don't think she'll call them, do you?" she nervously asked Gracie. The possible gravity of the consequences beginning to sink in.

Grace (Gracie) Stroud

Waitress
?Years Young
134 Posts

"It isn't the teachers you have to worry about; it's the headmistress, Miss. Harris.  "She's awfully strict." the girl explained.

"I can just imagine," Gracie recalled the principal of the working class public school she had attended in Boston, that man had been positively grim.

"You don't think she'll call them, do you?" she nervously asked Gracie.

"I saw her a couple of times, she looks mean," Tommy backed up Alice's testimony.

Gracie frowned, "Tommy, you should never judge a person by their looks."

Even though she did often enough, hell most everyone did. Unfair yes but that's life.

As to the girl's growing concern, Gracie wasn't going to be of much help, "Honestly, I don't know. I've never even met the woman. I'm sure she feels responsible though for the welfare of her students. I wouldn't want that job."

"So what is your plan then, Alice?" she wanted to hear whether these kids had figured out anything yet, they probably just had focused on enjoying the day. Kids.....

Liked 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"I saw her a couple of times, she looks mean," attested Tommy.

Gracie looked displeased by Tommy's comment and, like a parent might, gave a short speech explaining that people shouldn't be judged by their looks.

If only Gracie could meet or see the woman, she’d understand their stance.

"Honestly, I don't know. I've never even met the woman. I'm sure she feels responsible though for the welfare of her students. I wouldn't want that job."

Alice nodded in agreement.

*aside on Miss. Harris*

*Miss. Harris certainly felt responsible for her students but had an even greater sense of mind to maintain her school's flawless reputation. *

"So what is your plan then, Alice?" asked Gracie.       

“I… I haven’t given it any thought,” she hesitantly admitted. Was there an option other than going back and facing the music? Gracie had impressed upon her the idea that Miss. Harris might call the police. What was worse in her mind, however, was the headmistress finally getting in touch with her father and informing him of her misbehavior.

Though that could bring him back… or convince him to forget her altogether.

“I guess I should go back,” she sadly concluded.

Her gaze shifted between Gracie and Tommy as she uneasily sought support. “But what explanation do I give?”

Liked 1