Out On the Town

Started by Mary-Alice Whaley at Apr 09, 2020 6:19 PM
January 24, 1924
67 Posts

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
53 Posts

"Tell me everything that happened, tell me everything you saw."

"Thank you!" Alice chimed in response to the vendor's compliment as well as his handing off of the goods. She pocketed the change and carefully took the papered hot dog, watching as Tommy heeded the man's direction over to the condiments.

"Gotta have mustard, ain't a hot dog without mustard."

"Is that so, Mr. Connoisseur?" She gently teased upon reaching the boy's side. "I'll take your advice." She added with a smile, studying his operation in order to follow suit.

Buying hot dogs with a boy on a busy street was certainly not something she had been expecting to do when she woke up that morning. However, she was thankful for this serendipitous liberation. Getting away from the school and experiencing Miami with said boy was precisely what she had been wanting.

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
37 Posts

"How can you hate someone if you don't know them."

Mark was headed back to headquarters when he started feeling a bit hungry.  It had been a while since he had breakfast due to the early start he had hunting down a couple of witnesses to a fight between two men on the BOI's watch list.  Any happenings involving anybody who was on the watch list had to be checked out even if it was a minor disagreement as this one had turned out to be.

He decided to walk back some of the way to get some exercise as he expected to be at his desk for the rest of the day writing a report about the incident.  Besides he wasn't in too much of a hurry to get back.

Approaching the hot dog vendor, Mark saw two kids standing waiting for their order.  One was a young girl, who was well dressed for someone her age.  The boy wore clothes that had probably seen better days.  They made an odd pair and that piqued his interest.

As he got closer, he could see and hear the boy saying something about mustard and the girl agreeing to it.  When he got to the vendor, he smiled at them both, "I see that the mustard is popular today.  Do either of you two have any recommendations as to what are the best dogs to buy to go with it?"

Alice Wayfarer

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

Conna sewer? That must be a good thing though? Tommy figured with the smile on Alice's face that it had to be so he nodded as if he knew what she meant.

"Yeah, but you put what you want on yours," he was open minded of course as he slathered on some of the bright yellow condiment over his hot dog.

But Alice seemed to be ready to go with the mustard too.

Just then some well dressed man stepped on up, no doubt another customer. The hot dog vendor was popular and did a good business. Only the man didn't talk to Mr. Modesi but addressed the kids directly, all friendly like.

"I see that the mustard is popular today.  Do either of you two have any recommendations as to what are the best dogs to buy to go with it?"

Now given Alice's background she probably thought nothing of it, just some friendly man making conversation. But Tommy's world was different. Some swell taking an interest in the pair - more especially Alice - might well be genuine or it could also be very dangerous. This was the rough part of town and a cute young thing like Alice - well, some men might well be interested in her for very very bad reasons! Only a month ago, the coppers found a teenage girl's body in an alley not far from where they stood right now. The story was she had been raped then strangled.

So Tommy's smile he had been reserving for Alice vanished in an instant as he eyed the man suspiciously.

"A hot dog, what else?" he informed the man, that was a stupid question anyhow.

Mr. Modesi however had a much more welcoming smile as he spoke up, "Nice a day is it not, sir? Would you like one?"

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
53 Posts

Alice had just finished adding the mustard to her hot dog when she realized Tommy's attention was drawn to the putative customer behind them. Casually, the man had questioned about the hot dogs. The girl, of course, simply thought that he was being cordial. She had no reason to believe otherwise.

Having lived a relatively sheltered life caused her to be innately trusting. However, she did understand that there were people out there up to no good. She had undoubtedly heard fearful rumors in that school full of girls.

"A hot dog, what else?" Tommy answered tersely. His demeanor seemed to immediately change, and she wondered what was wrong.

"It's my first time here too." Alice affably said to the man. She shrugged, figuring he wouldn't be asking opinions if he had sampled the hot dogs previously.

It was at this point that Mr. Modesi spoke with the curious man. Other people had begun to line up for service as well. So, she figured it would be best if they moved on to somewhere they could enjoy their meal. "Should we find a place to sit?" Alice asked Tommy, giving him another reassuring smile.

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
37 Posts

Mr. Modesi however had a much more welcoming smile as he spoke up, "Nice a day is it not, sir? Would you like one?"

Mark turned his attention to the man and ordered a hot dog with cheese.  As he waited, he glanced over at the two young people.  There was something definitely off about them. The boy probably lived on the streets or had parents who lived around here somewhere.  The girl's clothing and speech indicated that she was from another part of town.  So, what was she doing down here?

His thoughts were interrupted by the vendor.  After he received his hot dog and paid for it, he went over to the pair.  "Look, I know that this may seem odd but I was just wondering shouldn't one or both of you be in school at this time of day?"

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

"Should we find a place to sit?" Alice asked Tommy, giving him another reassuring smile.

"Umm, sure," Tommy looked around and saw a wide porch with steps, the building was some sort of tenement but no one would care if two kids sat there and ate.

"C'mon," he led her over but no sooner had they just started chomping down on the savory dogs when that same man as before moseyed on up.

"Look I know this may seem odd but I was just wondering if one or both of you should be in school at this time of day?"

Tommy positively glared at the man now as he first had to swallow his first gulp of the hot dog before answering.

"You ain't our pop. Go mind yer own business, mister."

He still suspected the man was making a play for Alice, this might be the mug's excuse.

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
53 Posts

Alice followed Tommy to the steps of the building and seated herself next to him. As they began to eat, her thoughts briefly returned to the last time she had a hot dog. It had been a happy time, but things had sure changed in the few short years since. 

Her mother had fallen ill and passed not long ago. Her father, who had amassed his fortune in New York (prior to her birth), sought to escape and gamble with opportunity in Florida's land boom. He hastily remarried, and the three relocated to Miami.

Alice was immediately enrolled in Miss. Harris' school and, in her opinion, left to be forgotten. She knew that her father and his new wife now lived on a large estate somewhere in Miami Beach.

The majority of girls at the school were daughters of wealthy and well-established members of Miami society. A smaller number came from nouveau riche families. The latter being how Alice was categorized. Unfortunately, this was a point of contention amongst the students.

Despite having been born with privilege, she maintained a relatively unspoiled disposition.

The girl looked up as the tall man approached, asking yet another question… this time about school. Tommy’s reply wasn’t one she had expected. For some reason he seemed to have something against the man. She became wary then and slowly scooted closer to the boy.

"School isn't all it's cracked up to be." She quipped. 

Liked 1

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
37 Posts

"Yeah, school can be like that at times," Mark replied.

The girl seemed to be pleasant but boy was not interested in having him around.  Now that he was closer to them, he see that the girl was wearing a style of dress that showed she attended Miss Harris' School for Girls.  Knowing that if he left the girl in this part of town and something bad happened to her, then he would feel guilty because he could have prevented it.

As a Federal officer, it was his sworn duty to protect the public and this girl would be no exception.  He would have make sure she got back to the school safely.

"You know this isn't a good part of town to be in.  Maybe you should be in school."

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

"You know this isn't a good part of town to be in.  Maybe you should be in school."

Tommy was really growing alarmed now, what was this man's game? Maybe just a nosy do gooder? But maybe not. Maybe he wanted the girl for ............bad things. The boy now expected the next move of this moke would be to offer Alice a ride back to school. Yeah.....right.

"My cousin has the day off. But it ain't none of yer business, mister," Tommy now boldly stood up, hot dog still in hand and gave the man his fiercest glare. Well....it worked on kids his age.

"If you try anything, I will start screaming as loud as I can that yer trying to kidnap her. This is a pretty rough neighborhood but most people would be ready to save a girl from bein' grabbed."

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
53 Posts

Well, Alice would absolutely be intimidated if she were on the receiving end of Tommy’s show of valiance, but then again this was a grown adult involved in who knows what. Upon this realization she too became concerned… more so for the boy’s welfare than her own.

An admiring gaze for Tommy shifted to a scrutinizing one for the stranger. However, he plainly stood there with a hot dog. She didn’t think he looked like a kidnapper, but what would a kidnapper even look like? The girl didn’t know but figured caution was a good thing.

“I’m supposed to stay with my… cousin.” She lied, playing along with Tommy’s assertion. The believability was perhaps questionable to the man. “We watch out for each other.” She added confidently enough, standing next to the boy as if in mutual pact.