Out On the Town

Started by Mary-Alice Whaley at Apr 09, 2020 6:19 PM
January 24, 1924
65 Posts

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"Tell me everything that happened, tell me everything you saw."

The girls had returned into the school, all except Alice who stood, leaning against the faithful canary palm. It had become a meeting place of sorts… for Tommy and her (as they had met there a few times already). She watched the road in anticipation, her eyes focused in the direction he always came from.

“Miss. Whaley?!” Called Miss. Harris from the building, once again catching on to the girl’s supposed dilly-dallying. Alice didn’t answer and when the woman’s back was turned, she made the split-second decision to run. She left the grounds of the school for the first time since arriving just over a month ago.

Alice continued the run until she was some distance down the street. She slowed to a stop and looked back in the direction of the school. Her desire to see Tommy far outweighed the consequences. 

Tag: Tommy Kelso

Liked 1 Cat's Meow! 1

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

Tommy had a few friends among the other street kids, though too often situations called for them to compete for the same things and it could be rough out there. He of course had made some enemies too, it was bound to happen. But - that all involved boys. Alice was his first friend who was a girl. He couldn't quite bring himself to say it the other way  - 'girlfriend'.

He did like her though and always looked forward to their weekly meetings even if they were too short and always in the same place, on the property line of her rich boarding school. But it was at least something so he kept showing up even though it was quite a hike to get there and then, of course, he had to walk back.

On this day Tommy was a little late, leastwise compared to his usual arrival time at the school. He had been delayed by running an errand which had netted him a dime. Might not sound like a lot to some people but there were days when he didn't even make that much.

As he walked, setting a good pace but not running for  it was too muggy for that, he saw up a small figure racing in his direction. A second look and he knew it was Alice? He paused, trying to look past her to see if somebody was chasing her but couldn't notice anything. He decided to wait and let her get to him, it wouldn't take long.

Cat's Meow! 1

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

By the look of the empty road Miss. Harris hadn’t seen her bolt. However, Alice’s heart continued to beat quickly. It felt like bursting, not from the exertion but from the mixture of emotions she now felt. Hurt had morphed into resentment since being left behind by her father. In the last week she had learned that his new wife was expecting. Between the stinging hand swats from Miss. Harris and needless teasing from some of the other girls Alice felt as though she didn’t belong at the school.

In opposition, she also felt joy at this moment. She was happy to run from it… literally and figuratively. Despite the heat Alice ran on, eager to find Tommy. The girl knew she would find him along the way or at least she hoped so. Fear began to creep into her mind, but it was soon quelled when she spotted him up ahead.

“Tommy!” She exclaimed, excitedly running up and hugging him as was typical for her to do. He had very quickly, in her mind, become her best friend and she wasn’t ashamed to admit it. “Miss. Harris was looking for me, I didn’t want to miss seeing you. So, now I’m here.” She explained, stepping back so that she could look him in the eyes.

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

Well the girl didn't stop until she had wrapped her arms around him for a big hug. Girls!  Tommy stood there surprised but did not do anything to discourage it either. He did notice she smelled nice. Something that probably could not be said of him. Pretty much what happens though you own two sets of clothes period!

As the embrace broke up she declared, “Miss. Harris was looking for me, I didn’t want to miss seeing you. So, now I’m here.”

"Oh, well you got your wish, you're seein' me," he grinned.

"You going to get inta trouble for running away like that?"

By then Alice would have definitely noticed her friend Tommy was sporting the colors of a black eye, not a fresh one but at least a few days old.

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"Oh, well you got your wish, you're seein' me,"

Hearing these words, Alice smiled. Spending time with Tommy was the best part of the week. Of course, she wouldn’t miss it.  

“You going to get inta trouble for running away like that?”

At the question, Alice clasped her hands and rubbed them together. “Yes, I’m sure.” She confirmed with a sigh. Certainly, she’d be warranted hand swats or something worse. The girl, however, didn’t linger on the thought.

Studying Tommy’s face, she had noticed bruising around his eye. Alice’s brow furrowed and she shook her head in dismay. “Oh, Tommy! What happened to you?” She asked with obvious concern, her hand rising up to gently touch the afflicted area beneath his eye.

“Does it hurt?”

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

Alice readily admitted she probably was going to be in trouble for running away from the school like she did. But she had done it anyways, showed some spunk. Tommy liked that. Suddenly Alice noticed his eye, well the bruised one. He had almost forgotten he had it. She looked worried though. He on the other hand let her touch it. No big deal.

"Does it hurt?"

"Nah, it's fine. That was a couple of days ago. You should have seen the other guy, I hit him back a whole lot harder," he waved one hand in dismissal.

"Besides I been hurt a whole lot worse than that before," he declared with a smile.

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

Alice withdrew her hand and thoughtfully regarded him. Tommy seemed proud to have one-upped the other fellow. The girl understood him to be brave and now tough, she supposed the two characteristics did go hand in hand. Even so, it worried her to think of Tommy in harm’s way.

"Besides I been hurt a whole lot worse than that before,"

Since he smiled, she offered a smile back… although it looked uneasy. “Worse?” Alice questioned tilting her head to one side.

She was learning more and more about Tommy and Miami with each of their visits. She wished to stick with Tommy and experience it for herself. At this point she might as well go full in.

“Will you show me around?” She asked suddenly, motioning in the direction of town.

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

At his declaration about how he had been hurt worse than a little black eye she smiled back at him but maybe didn't quite seem to believe it.

"Really?"

Tommy nodded vigorously, "Definitely, I will show you sometime. It was from a knife."

But she had a more immediate request.

"Will you show me around?” She asked suddenly, motioning in the direction of town.

Tommy blinked then happily agreed, "Sure! Heck, if yer gonna git into trouble might as well go whole hog on it. Make it worthwhile."

He thought for a few seconds, "So where do you wanna go? What will you like to see?"

He was more than willing.

Mary-Alice Whaley

?Years Young
50 Posts

"Sure! Heck, if yer gonna git into trouble might as well go whole hog on it. Make it worthwhile."

That was one way of putting it. Alice thought Tommy had an amusing way of speaking but she did not fault him in the least. She thought his manner endearing. Additionally, noting his presumed excitement, a soft laugh escaped her.

"So where do you wanna go? What will you like to see?"

Alice thought a moment. Truthfully, the girl knew extraordinarily little about Miami (she had lived elsewhere). The majority of what she knew was based on what the boy had shared through their conversations.

“I’d like to see what you see.” She answered with a nod.

Cat's Meow! 1

Tommy Kelso

Street Kid
?Years Young
33 Posts

"I'm older than I look."   

She chuckled a bit at his declaration. Tommy was glad he could make the girl happy, he had decided he would do his best this day to show her a good time. In fact he left it up to her, where she would like to go and what they might do.

“I’d like to see what you see.”

Apparently she had nothing specific in mind. Fair enough. Though he was definitely ruling out some of the parts of town he hung out in, too rough for the likes of this rich girl.

"Hmmmm, Okeydokey. Lemme think," he paused to do just that.

"Well if you got any money on ya, I know a vendor on the corner of Ives and Center who sells really great hot dogs. They're pretty cheap and they taste great. That way we won't get hunry the rest of the day while we roam about."

He wasn't even sure, did rich people eat hot dogs?