Well Surprise, Surprise

Started by Albert Brazaga at Apr 08, 2020 12:46 AM
January 13, 1924
17 Posts

Jessica MacLeod

Heiress
?Years Young
11 Posts

Jessica studied the man's face for a moment after he finished with adding the appearance of shadows and stubble. Her own efforts had given her dark shadows beneath her eyes, making her look older and a bit jaded. She couldn't do anything about her well-made clothing other than grabbing an old sweater of her father's from the back and drag it on.

"Not bad, Mr. Nobody. Get in the car. With luck, this will work," Jessica climbed into the driver's seat. "Why don't you slump, look annoyed," Jess gave him a look and considered that he already looked pretty annoyed, "okay - more annoyed."

Jack Finch

?Years Young
8 Posts

Once I was told that all men get better with age. We're just gonna skip that stage.

Jack's mood was not helped in the slightest by how much of a smartass this girl was being. He didn't try to make himself even appear less pissed-off and annoyed out of pure spite, though that backfired as it became apparent that that was exactly what she wanted.

Though he would have certainly preferred not doing so, Jack obediently got in the car as well, just waiting for this all to be done and over with. The last thing he wanted right now was to be stuck in a car with some stranger while essentially fleeing from cops. He was too confused and conflicted to even think about who this stranger could even be — so he chose not to think about it, and just mope instead.

Even though it was true that he was very pissed off at the entire situation, he was also just as skittish and nervous as before — perhaps even moreso, now that he was in a closed space he had little chance of fleeing from. It almost felt like being trapped. Jack didn't know how to deal with the fear and all, and just chose to try and suppress them, and just sit there looking very frightened and annoyed.

"Smartass."

Made Me Laugh 1

Jessica MacLeod

Heiress
?Years Young
11 Posts

"Beats being a Milquetoast!" Jessica snapped back. It wasn't the first time she had been called a smartass. Even some of her friends had used the term, amongst others. Since the alternative was being considered a total drag, she didn't care.

She had expected a cop to pull them over, and, sure enough, one stepped into the street and waved them over. The cop shined a flashlight in at them but looked suitably unimpressed and unsuspicious. "Who are you, and where are you heading?" The man asked, his tone indicating boredom.

"Eula Boyd," Jessica said, making her voice sound tired. "This is my husband, Lewis. Our home is a few streets over, Danton Boulevard."

"Did you hear any gunshots, lady?" The cop asked, barely disguising his disinterest.

"No, Officer. We just turned on this street," Jessica glanced over at the man in the passenger seat. Fortunately, his demeanor lent truth to her story. He simply looked unhappy and grouchy.

The cop stared at them a moment longer, then stepped back and waved them forward. Jessica pulled away and drove down the street, making sure to turn onto the road that would lead toward Danton. Once well out of sight of the clockmaker's shop, Jessica pulled over to the curb.

"Okay, Mr. Nobody, where do you want me to drop you?" Jessica said as she pulled the scarf off. She had to say she had had enough excitement for the day.

Jack Finch

?Years Young
8 Posts

Once I was told that all men get better with age. We're just gonna skip that stage.

Jack didn't respond to her remark, and just turned his head to look away from her.

He quickly turned his attention back towards her, though, as a flashlight shone in at them, and he saw a cop. Jack tried to hide the sheer surprise and nervousness he was feeling, and was basically praying that he won't be recognized. The minutes felt like hours, and he quickly began to wish that he'd never followed this girl to the car. Not that any fate he would've had had he not done that would have been any better, but, he didn't question his wishes.

It was almost like a weight was lifted from his shoulders, as soon as the cop let them go about their way. Jack audibly sighed as soon as that was done and over with. Though he was not even remotely close to being fine and okay, he was getting closer to that, albeit slowly. 

The annoyance returned as soon as Jessica opened her mouth again. The urge to just rant at her about this everything was incredibly strong, but he managed to resist it. "Anywhere. I don't–" his voice cracked, "I don't care about.....where." Really, he just wanted to get away from all this and go back home.

Jessica MacLeod

Heiress
?Years Young
11 Posts

Jessica sighed in frustration. She really had to curb her tendencies to rush into things that she knew next to nothing about. She also needed to make sure she avoided strangers in the future. Jessica let instinct do the driving for a few moments, which them on the road toward South Beach and home. 

Finally, she pulled the old Model-T over on a well-lighted street where recently introduced neon signs proclaimed various businesses, clubs, and restaurants. Mentally, Jessica was still debating on going home or heading to her brothers' ship. Either way, she had no intention of detailing the evening's adventures.

"Here you go. Do you need money for a cab?" Jessica was tired, but she felt responsible for dragging the man into the situation. This time her sigh was more audible, "I'm sorry for getting you involved."

Jack Finch

?Years Young
8 Posts

Jack was completely silent as Jessica drove. He looked anywhere but at her, just waiting for when this will finally be over and life will return to normal again. It seemed that it would never fully return to normal, but he wanted to get as close to it as possible.

Jack raised his gaze to look at the street that Jessica had brought them to. His heart dropped as soon as the fact that this street was very unfamiliar to him sinked in.

Of course, though, he was much too proud to accept the help that Jessica offered him. "No," he said in a small voice. "I'm fine. It doesn't matter. I don't...care." Though that was the furthest possible thing from the truth, it's not like he was going to break down in front of this random stranger, or something.

Cat's Meow! 1

Jessica MacLeod

Heiress
?Years Young
11 Posts

Jessica did not quite roll her eyes. She did look at the man with some asperity, "You are a real Debbie Downer, you know?" She grabbed her purse from next to her feet and fished in it for a five-dollar bill. "Listen, I dragged you into that mess back there and I owe you for helping me skate past those cops. Please take this for a cab." She held out the money and smiled, "I owe you at least this much. If the cops had recognized me and called my pops, I'd be in real trouble. Way more trouble than sneaking in to take pictures of a dead man would've got me."

The man seemed more interested in simply getting away from her so Jess leaned out and pushed the five-dollar bill into his hand. Starting to shake with reaction to all that had happened, she put her old Model-T in gear and headed for home, not looking back at the forlorn figure of Mr. Nobody.