67 Posts

Dorothy Dare

Bohemian
?Years Young
14 Posts

"Hello, I'm Dotty Dare, I like to express myself in clay!"

“Oh, my dear boy! Have you just lost your virginity?!!”

He reached into his pockets.

"You know," he said, showing upturned, empty palms, "I believe you're right.  I can't find it anywhere.  I think you're right.  I lost it out there on the air waves."

Dotty tittered at the handsome man’s drolleries. “Oh, ‘a fellow of infinite jest!’” she quoted Shakespeare “Muffy dear, your friend is witty as well as handsome and talented! I caught your broadcast from out here Mr. Blankenship, I thought your performance quite charming.” the chubby bespectacled Englishwoman gushed. She had indeed enjoyed it, the euphoria no doubt aided by a couple of shots from her hipflask.

“And tell me, whom do I have the honor of addressing?"

She held out a plumply dimpled hand with an iron grip. “I’m Dotty Dare, I like to express myself in clay.” Muff Miller noted she didn’t call herself Dorothy Dare, as she was known on air, and somehow had the feeling that she was interested in impressing him less as an artist than as a woman: although they seemed an oddly matched pair to him. Not that he was any expert, that was for sure.

“Did you say that you’ll be playing on the S.S. Chanteuse?” she queried the tall, handsome pianist “How jolly! Does the sea agree with you, Mr. Blankenship? Or may I call you Blair? Please do call me Dotty.” she beamed excitedly. Muff wasn’t getting a look in on this conversation, and was increasingly feeling like a gooseberry.

Blair Blankenship

?Years Young
25 Posts

"If I'd known that this is the way it'd all turn out, I never would have kissed my father goodbye."

She held out a plumply dimpled hand with an iron grip. “I’m Dotty Dare, I like to express myself in clay.” Muff Miller noted she didn’t call herself Dorothy Dare, as she was known on air, and somehow had the feeling that she was interested in impressing him less as an artist than as a woman: although they seemed an oddly matched pair to him. Not that he was any expert, that was for sure.

"Oh wait a minute!" Blair said.  "Are you the famous Dorothy Dare?   Why this is an extreme pleasure and a great sensation," he said without any trace of the disingenuous.  "I am a great fan of yours,." he continued. shaking her had like a pump handle.  "Also all of the brothers in my Fraternity. 

“Did you say that you’ll be playing on the S.S. Chanteuse?” she queried the tall, handsome pianist “How jolly! Does the sea agree with you, Mr. Blankenship? Or may I call you Blair? Please do call me Dotty.” she beamed excitedly. Muff wasn’t getting a look in on this conversation, and was increasingly feeling like a gooseberry.

"I DO like the sea," he answered.  "Of course I'm only used to the regattas up in Cape Cod and Hyannis Port.  But those are just sloops, schooners and yachts ---- nothing like the Chanteuse.  So I'm really looking forward to it -- er.. Dotty. "

"Are you going to be onboard to watch Muff and his Orchestra?   I know Muff would toss himself overboard if you didn't come by at least once"    Blair was quite taken with Dotty.  She had a motherly warmth to her .. well .. nurturing was maybe a better word, he considered.  

Loved 1

Dorothy Dare

Bohemian
?Years Young
14 Posts

"Oh wait a minute!" Blair said.  "Are you the famous Dorothy Dare?   Why this is an extreme pleasure and a great sensation," he said without any trace of the disingenuous.  "I am a great fan of yours,." he continued. shaking her hand like a pump handle.  "Also all of the brothers in my Fraternity.

“Oh!” cooed Dotty, delighted “One hadn’t realized that one had reached the ears, let alone the hearts, of the Racoon Coated, Delta Kappa Alpha Boys of the College scene! Wait until I tell Marcel – Marcel Crumpe, my fellow artist - he will be so extremely jealous!” she tittered gaily.

“Did you say that you’ll be playing on the S.S. Chanteuse?” she queried the tall, handsome pianist “How jolly! Does the sea agree with you, Mr. Blankenship? Or may I call you Blair? Please do call me Dotty.” she beamed excitedly.

"I DO like the sea," he answered.  "Of course, I'm only used to the regattas up in Cape Cod and Hyannis Port.”

“Oh Hyannis Port!” gushed Dotty, to cover up the fact she’s never heard of it.

“But those are just sloops, schooners and yachts ---- nothing like the Chanteuse.  So I'm really looking forward to it -- er.. Dotty. "

“Oh, I hear it’s like a wonderful a floating palace, Blair.” She rejoined.

"Are you going to be onboard to watch Muff and his Orchestra?   I know Muff would toss himself overboard if you didn't come by at least once"    Blair was quite taken with Dotty.  She had a motherly warmth to her .. well .. nurturing was maybe a better word, he considered. 

“Well, we wouldn’t want poor old Muffy tossing himself off like that, would we?” she concurred “But we shall have to see if I can find the money and the time: you see, my life, Blair, is dedicated to my art, even if I make most of my small crust of bread talking about rather than doing it. A radio show here, a sculpture lesson there, yes, that is how I live, but to really live, I have to create!” she sighed dramatically.

Suddenly she stood back, as if taking Blankenship in for the first time, and held up a thumb, first vertically, and then horizontally, while peering at him intently.

“Tell me… Blair…” she demanded, her azure eyes flashing like fragments of sapphire behind her horn-rimmed glasses “Have you ever modeled? I’ve just been overcome with an overwhelming urge to capture you in terra cotta!”

Made Me Laugh 2

Blair Blankenship

?Years Young
25 Posts

"If I'd known that this is the way it'd all turn out, I never would have kissed my father goodbye."

“Oh Hyannis Port!” gushed Dotty, to cover up the fact she’s never heard of it.

Many hadn't.  That made the area even more exclusive.   And it all came with a love of the sea.  There was old money and some new money --- but their Yankee roots were in merchant shipping going back to the 17th and 18th Centuries.  Oh!  Those tidy homes atop craggy cliffs. orange lamplight shining out from gabled windows, drizzly weather, piping bowls of clam chowder waiting for the seamen once they made shore.

“But those are just sloops, schooners and yachts ---- nothing like the Chanteuse.  So I'm really looking forward to it -- er.. Dotty. "

“Oh, I hear it’s like a wonderful a floating palace, Blair.” She rejoined.

“Well, we wouldn’t want poor old Muffy tossing himself off like that, would we?” she concurred “But we shall have to see if I can find the money and the time: you see, my life, Blair, is dedicated to my art, even if I make most of my small crust of bread talking about rather than doing it. A radio show here, a sculpture lesson there, yes, that is how I live, but to really live, I have to create!” she sighed dramatically.

"Oh well .. I .. er...," Blair stuttered, not imagining that she, like he, was between the devil and the deep blue sea when it came to finances.   He was caught off guard.

Suddenly she stood back, as if taking Blankenship in for the first time, and held up a thumb, first vertically, and then horizontally, while peering at him intently.

“Tell me… Blair…” she demanded, her azure eyes flashing like fragments of sapphire behind her horn-rimmed glasses “Have you ever modeled? I’ve just been overcome with an overwhelming urge to capture you in terra cotta!”

"No .. I've saved the fashion industry from extinction by NOT appearing in their magazines," he joked.  "But?".. he cocked his head to the side, quizzically, like a Collie when hearing a new command.  "Do you think I might look good in an Arrow collar?"   He was kidding .. but not kidding. 

He continued.

"I once had a tailor snap a picture of me after he finished a suit that he "took in" for me.  He said he wanted to use it as an example for his crew of how to properly finish the cuff of the pants so that they just broke slighting over the top of the shoes.  He was a on odd fellow.  He insisted that here be five buttons sown on the suit coat cuff.  So many have just three of four."    He held out his arm and showed he that he, indeed, had five buttons on his jacket sleeves.  

He didn't bother to tell Dotty that the tailor was absolutely against pants being too crotchy. "There should NEVER be any indication through your clothes as to the state of your "unmentionables".  You should appear as if you were a cherub."

It then struck him.  Terra Cotta?  She meant modeling for a sculpture, and not for photographs!  Warning bells were chiming .. Don't they model nude?

"Why?" he asked Dotty.  "Do you see me with a future in modeling?"   He held out his hands as though peering through a crystal ball. 

Loved 1

Dorothy Dare

Bohemian
?Years Young
14 Posts

"No .. I've saved the fashion industry from extinction by NOT appearing in their magazines," he joked.  "But?".. he cocked his head to the side, quizzically, like a Collie when hearing a new command.  "Do you think I might look good in an Arrow collar?"   He was kidding .. but not kidding.

She knew what he was getting at: the model used by Peabody & Co's Arrow collars in the earlier part of the century to advertise their wares, one Charles Beach, though he was anonymous to the women who swooned over his good looks, had become something of a byword for masculine beauty.

“Why? Have you been asked to model them?!” she gasped, for he was good looking enough for it not to seem absurd.

"I once had a tailor snap a picture of me after he finished a suit that he "took in" for me.  He said he wanted to use it as an example for his crew of how to properly finish the cuff of the pants so that they just broke slighting over the top of the shoes.  He was a on odd fellow.  He insisted that here be five buttons sown on the suit coat cuff.  So many have just three of four."    He held out his arm and showed he that he, indeed, had five buttons on his jacket sleeves. 

As he told her this tale, Dotty took the opportunity to study his form more closely, as if only by way of illustration to his sartorial statements.

“Oh, all these stuffy clothes!” she countered “And in this dreadful Florida heat as well. We should throw off these insufferable weeds! Who cares if there are five buttons or five hundred on your jacket? It is the real man underneath it all that I wish to capture!” she rhapsodised.

"Why?" he asked Dotty.  "Do you see me with a future in modeling?"   He held out his hands as though peering through a crystal ball.

“My dear boy…” she cried hoarsely, in her contralto tones “… if you were to come over and enter my Nook, I would immortalise you as a very model and essence of masculine vril!

For once Muff was glad not to be the centre of feminine interest, and pushed away the thought of what he himself would look like stood on the model’s plinth, wearing nothing but his glasses, a shy smile and a fig leaf. That would be bad enough in the Spring or Summertime, but what about in October or November when the leaves begin to fall!?

Made Me Laugh 1

Blair Blankenship

?Years Young
25 Posts

“My dear boy…” she cried hoarsely, in her contralto tones “… if you were to come over and enter my Nook, I would immortalize you as a very model and essence of masculine vril!

For once Muff was glad not to be the centre of feminine interest, and pushed away the thought of what he himself would look like stood on the model’s plinth, wearing nothing but his glasses, a shy smile and a fig leaf. That would be bad enough in the Spring or Summertime, but what about in October or November when the leaves begin to fall!?

Blair was not exactly fresh-picked.  He knew from long experience when female tentacles began to dance his way.  He had always been a target in the prep school environs ... a target of older women too.  There was Vera Van Rensileer, old enough to be his mother, who shamelessly threw herself at him when she was playing Bridge at his home. 

He smiled that glowing, smooth-skinned, perfect smile that could charm the birds out of the trees.

"What are you suggesting?" he asked her, moving in a little closer.

It was a wonderful diversion for him, so long stalked by penury. 

Liked 1

Dorothy Dare

Bohemian
?Years Young
14 Posts

"What are you suggesting?" he asked her, moving in a little closer.

“Hmmm” she pondered, not only holding her ground but coming in to meet him and lifting his chin with a finger, and scanning him again with the air of a professional “…it’s possible” She was quite serious about the modelling.

“I can offer you three dollars an hour. The connoisseur who bought my last sculpture wants a companion piece in white: I think that you can inspire me deeply, Blair.” she informed him.

Muff was laughing up his sleeve: he knew for a fact that Blankenship was as rich as Croesus and that his playing in the band was just the mad hobby of a playboy prince. If the handsome musician agreed to model for Dotty it would only be as part of some college prank or odd whim.

“If you’re too shy, I’ll quite understand!” she shrugged “My last model was rather shy, but desperate for the money. When he arrived at The Nook on his first day, all the way over from Colored Town I might add, no small trip, he nearly bottled out. In the end I had to take all my clothes off first to show him there was nothing to be afraid of!” she laughed gaily.

"He's not shy, are you Blankenship?" cut in Muff, helpfully.

Made Me Laugh 1