Started by Blair Blankenship at Apr 04, 2020 11:54 PM
March 15, 1924
111 Posts

Vivian Flanders

Heiress
?Years Young
10 Posts

"They say money doesn't make you happy, that's a laugh."

Viv had cooled down some by the time the joint's hostess/comedienne made the rounds and approached her table. She didn't come alone though, it was that one artist and the mystery singer with her. Viv flashed an obviously fake smile.

“Hello Miss Flanders, folks!” Kelly saluted the throng there “Hoped you didn’t mind my little crack at your expense. You know, some folks don’t like being picked on like that, but I heard you had a good sense of humor!”

"Oh, so you did, huh?" Viv eyed her up and down then puffed on her cigarette, "Well, if you also heard I hit waitresses that's a lie. Though I might be tempted to make an exception for you."

Irma giggled at that zinger.

Blair, who was, as always, bland, handsome and elegant, smiled at the group seated before him.  "This is indeed a pleasure," he announced.   "I am Blair Blankenship and this is, as you might know already is Miss Dorothy Dare." 

Viv barely glanced at Dottie but smiled at the young gentleman, "Mr. Blankenship. nice to meet you. Are you a local by any chance. I know a lot of people in Miami and can't place you."

And lest she forget she quickly introduced the pair at the table with her, "This is my good friend, Miss Irma Shimmel and her brother, Florian."

Dorothy Dare

Bohemian
?Years Young
19 Posts

"Hello, I'm Dotty Dare, I like to express myself in clay!"

“Hello Miss Flanders, folks!” Kelly saluted the throng there “Hoped you didn’t mind my little crack at your expense. You know, some folks don’t like being picked on like that, but I heard you had a good sense of humor!”

"Oh, so you did, huh?" Viv eyed her up and down then puffed on her cigarette, "Well, if you also heard I hit waitresses that's a lie. Though I might be tempted to make an exception for you."

Irma giggled at that zinger.

Kelly laughed politely. “Ha ha Cute.”

Blair made the further introductions and Vivian Flanders, though cold-shouldering both the females in the trio, seemed to take at least some interest in him.

"Mr. Blankenship. nice to meet you. Are you a local by any chance. I know a lot of people in Miami and can't place you."

And lest she forget she quickly introduced the pair at the table with her, "This is my good friend, Miss Irma Shimmel and her brother, Florian."

While Blair handled the niceties of these introductions with the aplomb which might well be expected of a young man of his background, Dotty glanced round and gave a small shriek.

“Oh no! Blair! Somebody’s nabbed our table!”

“Oh gee, that’s a pity.” Said Kelly, with an unsurprised tone. “Hey, that’s the Winslows, the management can’t really tell them to take a powder! Guess you five will just have to squeeze up together!” she grinned. Mission accomplished.

“See you kids later!” she waved, and strode off to glad-hand the sainted Winslows.

“How kind of you to fit us in Miss Flanders!” smiled Dotty as she helped herself to a spare chair at Viv’s table, even though the woman hadn’t had a chance yet to either yea or nay Kelly’s suggestion.

Blair Blankenship

?Years Young
39 Posts

"If I'd known that this is the way it'd all turn out, I never would have kissed my father goodbye."

"Mr. Blankenship. nice to meet you. Are you a local by any chance. I know a lot of people in Miami and can't place you."

Blair beamed a smile on everyone seated.

"It is truly a sensation meeting all of you."   He then hastened to add, "My family is from the Hudson River area in Upstate New York.  Well, actually we are situated in pockets all over New England, .. Hartford, Saybrook, Ardundel.."    His voice trailed off because his pride of pedigree was now clouded by his penury.  It was so humiliating.  Still .. he would keep up the facade and at the same time try to parlay his new found musical career into new wealth.

“Oh no! Blair! Somebody’s nabbed our table!”

Blair patted his suit coat pocket.  Yes!  He had his silver cigarette case.  He had a habit of leaving it in public places as if they were personal spaces.

“Oh gee, that’s a pity.” Said Kelly, with an unsurprised tone. “Hey, that’s the Winslows, the management can’t really tell them to take a powder! Guess you five will just have to squeeze up together!” she grinned. Mission accomplished.

“See you kids later!” she waved, and strode off to glad-hand the sainted Winslows.

To Blair, the Winslows seemed a bit rump-tee-too.  He wasn't impressed.

“How kind of you to fit us in Miss Flanders!” smiled Dotty as she helped herself to a spare chair at Viv’s table, even though the woman hadn’t had a chance yet to either yea or nay Kelly’s suggestion.

Blair was not so quick to be seated. "Do you mind?" he asked, cocking his head toward another empty chair.

Loved 1

Vivian Flanders

Heiress
?Years Young
10 Posts

“Oh no! Blair! Somebody’s nabbed our table!” the artist changed the subject suddenly and everyone glanced toward said table to see other people sitting down there.

“Oh gee, that’s a pity.” Said Kelly, with an unsurprised tone.

"I can see you're broken up about it," Viv said in a dry monotone.

“Hey, that’s the Winslows, the management can’t really tell them to take a powder! Guess you five will just have to squeeze up together!” the hostess grinned.

Viv noted, "Guess you aren't any better at your hostess job than your comedic one."

But Kelly was making a quick retreat and heading right over to those Winslows. Irma pouted, "Maybe we shouldn't spend our money here anymore."

Viv glanced at her but said nothing as Irma was her friend. But since when did Irma spend ANY money at all when she hung about with Viv, who did all the paying. The artist was already seating herself.

"How kind of you to fit us in Miss Flanders!” smiled Dotty.

"Knock yourself out Miss Dare," Viv conceded then added, "No, really." 

Blair was not so quick to be seated. "Do you mind?" he asked, cocking his head toward another empty chair.

Viv raised one eyebrow which is what she did when impressed, "Well, a real gentleman. Thank you for asking and of course please be seated."

"A northerner, huh?" she blew some cigarette smoke then continued, "What brings you down to Miami then?"

Florian eyed Dotty then glanced back at Blair, they seemed like an odd couple alright but no accounting for people's tastes.

Made Me Laugh 1

Dorothy Dare

Bohemian
?Years Young
19 Posts

"How kind of you to fit us in Miss Flanders!” smiled Dotty.

"Knock yourself out Miss Dare," Viv conceded then added, "No, really."

Dotty did so, with an innocent smile, apparently unconscious of the veiled bitchiness of the Flanders woman’s comment.

Blair was not so quick to be seated. "Do you mind?" he asked, cocking his head toward another empty chair.

Viv raised one eyebrow which is what she did when impressed, "Well, a real gentleman. Thank you for asking and of course please be seated."

“Blair is one of the Hudson River Blankenships!” explained Dotty, although the way some of these Americans thought that having a ton of money or an ancestor who had come over on the Mayflower gave them some sort of aristocratic blood did make her chuckle to herself sometimes.

"A northerner, huh?" she blew some cigarette smoke then continued, "What brings you down to Miami then?"

Dotty let Blair explain himself, she wasn’t his mother, after all, but couldn’t help adding “Blair would do very well in England, we love our gifted amateurs there” she said, using the French pronunciation, even though it was exactly the same word in English. “Yes, the scion of the gentry who takes up a calling merely for the love of it always seems to have so much more to offer that a more lowly person who does the job for nothing but the call of base and filthy lucre.” She pontificated.

Blair Blankenship

?Years Young
39 Posts

"If I'd known that this is the way it'd all turn out, I never would have kissed my father goodbye."

“Blair is one of the Hudson River Blankenships!” explained Dotty, although the way some of these Americans thought that having a ton of money or an ancestor who had come over on the Mayflower gave them some sort of aristocratic blood did make her chuckle to herself sometimes.

Dotty let Blair explain himself, she wasn’t his mother, after all, but couldn’t help adding “Blair would do very well in England, we love our gifted amateurs there” she said, using the French pronunciation, even though it was exactly the same word in English. “Yes, the scion of the gentry who takes up a calling merely for the love of it always seems to have so much more to offer that a more lowly person who does the job for nothing but the call of base and filthy lucre.” She pontificated.

"Well Dear," Blair said to Dotty.   "I can't remember which Englishman said it but he said, "Our American cousins have a great respect for MONEY!"

He turned then to Vivian Flanders.  "You were asking ... you know .. the Northerner in the Deep South?  I was attending Florida State."  He made quotes marks with his fingers.  "The pride of F-L-A."   But I may go back up North in the Fall.  It all depends.."  His voice trailed off.   "It seems I have some options with the Band."   He looked around wondering when Muff might show up.  "So everything is in a state of flux."

He reached into his coat pocket and brought out his dazzling, silver, cigarette case.  He opened it and handed it to Vivian.  He was taught that one never pulled out a cigarette and handed it to someone.  You handed them the entire pack or case and let them pick and choose.

"I'm here at the Four Deuces quite often but I haven't seen you before."
"

Loved 1

Vivian Flanders

Heiress
?Years Young
10 Posts

“Blair would do very well in England, we love our gifted amateurs there” Dotty piped up though Viv's question had been for the man. . “Yes, the scion of the gentry who takes up a calling merely for the love of it always seems to have so much more to offer that a more lowly person who does the job for nothing but the call of base and filthy lucre.”

"Oh, and what about you then? Don't you sell your art for ...what did you say? Base and filthy lucre?" Viv once more shaded the ditzy artist.

Irma chuckled.

The handsome man spoke then,  "You were asking ... you know .. the Northerner in the Deep South?  I was attending Florida State."  He made quotes marks with his fingers.  "The pride of F-L-A."   But I may go back up North in the Fall.  It all depends.."  His voice trailed off.   "It seems I have some options with the Band. So everything is in a state of flux."

"I've heard good things about Florida State,"Viv commented.

The man then reached for a shiny cigarette case and offered it to her, Viv blinked in surprise and waved it off.

"Oh, no thanks, " she smiled, "But I always only smoke one at a time."  She already had a cigarette in her hand.

Blair accompanied the offer with, "I'm here at the Four Deuces quite often but I haven't seen you before."

"Well, I don't come here a lot. Booze is booze but there are other places with far better entertainment as tonight proved," she glanced in the direction of Kelly who was now smoozing with the Winslows."

"Say have you ever been to the Club Lorelei? It's a nightclub on an actual cruise ship. It's the cats pajams," Viv smiled, "I'm going to be throwing the party of the year maybe the decade on it real soon. Anyone who is someone should be there."

Loved 1

Dorothy Dare

Bohemian
?Years Young
19 Posts

"Oh, and what about you then? Don't you sell your art for ...what did you say? Base and filthy lucre?" Viv once more shaded the ditzy artist.

Irma chuckled.

“No! Well, yes, but…” Dotty was thrown, and by the time she’d thought of a devastating retort, that would really put the snooty Miss Flanders in her place, the conversation had moved on. How very annoying.

Furthermore, the bitchy Viv seemed to be hitting it off with the swoony Blair! Even more annoying! Dotty was feeling quite cut out and put out, and wished that the svelte Miss Flanders would butt out.

"Well, I don't come here a lot. Booze is booze but there are other places with far better entertainment as tonight proved," she glanced in the direction of Kelly who was now smoozing with the Winslows."

"Say have you ever been to the Club Lorelei? It's a nightclub on an actual cruise ship. It's the cats pajams," Viv smiled, "I'm going to be throwing the party of the year maybe the decade on it real soon. Anyone who is someone should be there."

“A lot of rich people, I suppose?!” cut in the artist, before Viv and Blair got any closer to falling into each other's arms. “Or will there be interesting people there, too?” she asked, tipping her head innocently, and feeling her neck crick painfully.

Blair Blankenship

?Years Young
39 Posts

"I've heard good things about Florida State,"Viv commented.

The man then reached for a shiny cigarette case and offered it to her, Viv blinked in surprise and waved it off.

"Oh, no thanks, " she smiled, "But I always only smoke one at a time."  She already had a cigarette in her hand.

"Oh .. I didn't notice," Blair said of the cigarette.  "How silly of me.   Too much iced champagne," he joked.  

He followed up.

"I'm here at the Four Deuces quite often but I haven't seen you before."

Blair's father would disagree about "booze is booze".   He was persnickety about his Scotch.  Was it a blend or single malt?  Did it have enough of that smokey taste he adored?  Their liquor cabinet back home could fuel a speakeasy for a week.

Viv spoke up.

Blair brightened.  "That's the one on the S.S. Chanteuse.  Isn't it?" He asked, knowing full well the answer was "yes."   He didn't know quite how to approach this line of inquiry.   In the current configuration, he would be an "employee" and she would be the "customer".  

It reminded him of that passage in the book, Sister Carrie, by Theodore  Dreiser. 

George W. Hurstwood manages Chicago's most elegant emporium.   His wife, Julia, is a vile social climber.  At one point their daughter is seeing one of the most eligible young men in town, the scion of a wealthy, prominent family, the Connels.  Julia turns to George and states that their daughter MUST see the right people,... that this young man is from one of Chicago's first families.  George says, "Oh yes.  I know his father, Slim Connel."   And then Julia spits out, "You know him as a waiter knows him!!"

Blair didn't want to be know by Viv as a waiter.  But who knew?  Maybe musicians were different in her eyes. 

Viv and Dotty continued a crisp, verbal duel when the talk turned to the event at the Club Lorelei.

“A lot of rich people, I suppose?!” cut in the artist, before Viv and Blair got any closer to falling into each other's arms. “Or will there be interesting people there, too?” she asked, tipping her head innocently, and feeling her neck crick painfully.

Blair was amused and sought to smother a grin.  Dotty was an engaging lady.

Liked 1

Vivian Flanders

Heiress
?Years Young
10 Posts

"Oh .. I didn't notice," Blair said of the cigarette.  "How silly of me.   Too much iced champagne," he joked. 

"It's quite alright, we're all entitled to mistakes," Viv smiled.  (Like him hanging around with the dumpy artiste.)

She then went on to bring up one of her favorite subjects - HER parties especially the upcoming one on the cruise ship.

"That's the one on the S.S. Chanteuse.  Isn't it?"

"Why yes, that's the one," Viv nodded, pleased he knew.

“A lot of rich people, I suppose?!” cut in Dottie “Or will there be interesting people there, too?”

"Yes indeed, rich people and interesting people both, not that you would know anything about either," Viv was at her most condescending.

Irma laughed, she could not help herself. Meanwhile Viv remained focused on Blair.  Keep the eye on the ball as the old saying went.

"So, if you are available, I can give you an invite right here and now. After all, it's my party," Viv beamed then decided to sweeten the deal.

"I could even arrange for you to sing a few songs if you wish. You know, promote your career plus have a fun time. The old 'mix business and pleasure' deal."

Liked 1