Dead End

Started by Jimmy Drummond at Sep 16, 2021 8:47 AM
23 Posts

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"That'll cost you $50... but don't stop!"

Michael looked at her, "Good question Jimmy, what broad? I never heard of no broad either, just the Mick copper. 'Course everyone knows about him. He's supposed to be up to Pembroke Pines cracker factory, and word on the street is, the department's got ol' Baxter on some wild goose chase. So what is it, Maude?"

Maude frowned at the pair as they came out with this rigmarole.

"All right, I'll level with you guys, the reason I know about the girl and Baxter is because..." she looked coyly to the the ground as if she was about to admit some great secret "...  because you told me, you pair of lugs!" she snapped.

"I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've both gone senile and can't remember; not that you were gaslighting me!" Yes, there was the suspicion that they had been trying to catch her out there. 

She walked over to the table and picked up the newspaper, showing them the front cover. "This the girl you're looking for?"

However, instead of a Chinese woman, it showed a pretty, plump face of a white woman and the headline:

Magnolia Brown, Still Missing!

Loved 1

Michael O'Rourke

Racketeer, Smugler, Gun Runner
?Years Young
185 Posts

"Do not mistake my friendly demeanor for weakness."

Maude frowned at the pair as they came out with this rigmarole.

"All right, I'll level with you guys, the reason I know about the girl and Baxter is because..." she looked coyly to the the ground as if she was about to admit some great secret "...  because you told me, you pair of lugs!" she snapped.

Both laughed at the charade they had attempted to pull on Maude.

"I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've both gone senile and can't remember; not that you were gaslighting me!" Yes, there was the suspicion that they had been trying to catch her out there.

"Hey, hey, hey, just trying to have a little fun, Maude.Fer Christ's sake. Didn't mean to get your drawers in a wad. Honest, we were just having some fun after a wasted night  on the docks lookin' for anything." Michael said contritely. "No Irish cop, no china doll. We came up empty all the way around."

She walked over to the table and picked up the newspaper, showing them the front cover. "This the girl you're looking for?"

However, instead of a Chinese woman, it showed a pretty, plump face of a white woman and the headline:

Magnolia Brown, Still Missing!

Jimmy whistled at the picture, "She's a real doll, but not no China Doll, that's for sure. Get me in some real trouble she would. Maybe best I don't know nothin'!"

"Say, what's the skinny here? We heard it was a Chinese, not no white girl. What the hell would they want with her, I mean, besides the obvious?" Michael asked.

Loved 1

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"Hey, hey, hey, just trying to have a little fun, Maude.Fer Christ's sake. Didn't mean to get your drawers in a wad. Honest, we were just having some fun after a wasted night  on the docks lookin' for anything." Michael said contritely. "No Irish cop, no china doll. We came up empty all the way around."

Maude made a reasonable show of being convinced. But really 'A bit of fun'? The truth is, there was more she could tell them: if she didn't mind ending up dead. And if their lives were in danger, she might take that risk. But they weren't in danger, as long as they pulled their noses out of it right now.

Jimmy whistled at the picture, "She's a real doll, but not no China Doll, that's for sure. Get me in some real trouble she would. Maybe best I don't know nothin'!"

"I thought you had a girlfriend these days?" Maude teased. Not that she could stand on any moral high ground: most of the men she catered for were married, some even happily - they were just greedy; wanted their cake and eat it.

"Say, what's the skinny here? We heard it was a Chinese, not no white girl. What the hell would they want with her, I mean, besides the obvious?" Michael asked.

Maude shrugged. "There's a Chinese girl missing too, if you get down to the fifth paragraph!" she informed them "They share an apartment with that dyke Kelly Pat, but reporters like Snub Callahan know that missing chinks and blacks don't sell papers." he reasoned.

Loved 1

Jimmy Drummond

Mechanic, Driver, Racketeer
?Years Young
52 Posts

"If it's got an engine, I can drive it."

"I thought you had a girlfriend these days?" Maude teased. Not that she could stand on any moral high ground: most of the men she catered for were married, some even happily - they were just greedy; wanted their cake and eat it.

"I do, And I doubt Sandy'd appreciate me droolin' over this missing girl or any girl for that matter! She's funny that way, sides, Sandy's better lookin' than that Magnolia gal." Jimmy admitted.

Maude shrugged. "There's a Chinese girl missing too, if you get down to the fifth paragraph!" she informed them "They share an apartment with that dyke Kelly Pat, but reporters like Snub Callahan know that missing chinks and blacks don't sell papers." She reasoned.

"Makes sense. I mean he'd be right about that. So there is a chinses girl missing, but no real news about her, I mean, no info, description, nuthin' like that to go on?" Michael asked. There was still something eating at him about this whole thing, and he never liked losing, even losing out on getting information. "You know, if you're holdin' out, it ain't helpin' nobody, no matter what breed they are, chink or white."

"Hey, I think I heard someplace this  is or was a translator for the cops, but how would that make any difference in the big picture. I mean, the chinks don't need a translator, right? Maybe some white guys, but not the yellow man for damn sure!"

Loved 1

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"I do, And I doubt Sandy'd appreciate me droolin' over this missing girl or any girl for that matter! She's funny that way, sides, Sandy's better lookin' than that Magnolia gal." Jimmy admitted.

"'Sandy'? huh" Maude asked, a twinkle in her eye.

Maude shrugged. "Maybe it is the obvious! Even if she isn't as good looking as... Sandy." she simpered the last name in an exaggerated, lovelorn way, and caught Jimmy's eye.

Maude shrugged. "There's a Chinese girl missing too, if you get down to the fifth paragraph!" she informed them "They share an apartment with that dyke Kelly Pat, but reporters like Snub Callahan know that missing chinks and blacks don't sell papers." She reasoned.

"Makes sense. I mean he'd be right about that. So there is a chinses girl missing, but no real news about her, I mean, no info, description, nuthin' like that to go on?" Michael asked. There was still something eating at him about this whole thing, and he never liked losing, even losing out on getting information. "You know, if you're holdin' out, it ain't helpin' nobody, no matter what breed they are, chink or white."

"Read it yourself if you like. I don't know nuthin' but what's here" she said, peering at the article again which she'd only half read. 

"Hey, I think I heard someplace this  is or was a translator for the cops, but how would that make any difference in the big picture. I mean, the chinks don't need a translator, right? Maybe some white guys, but not the yellow man for damn sure!"

Maude was peering at the newspaper so close that it was nearly touching her nose: she wasn't about to let Mike O'Rourke see her wearing her reading glasses! "Hmmm, just says here Elizabeth Wu, Graduate Student, University of Miami where she is writing a thes... thesis on explosive materials." she looked up "nuthin' about the police." she handed the paper to Mike.

Loved 1

Michael O'Rourke

?Years Young
185 Posts

"Hey, I think I heard someplace this gal is or was a translator for the cops, but how would that make any difference in the big picture. I mean, the chinks don't need a translator, right? Maybe some white guys, but not the yellow man for damn sure!"

"Not sure it would Jimmy," Michael said, wondering what a Chinese girl that translated for the cops, or anyone else, had that anyone would want, maybe some inside information, that made sense.

Maude was peering at the newspaper so close that it was nearly touching her nose: she wasn't about to let Mike O'Rourke see her wearing her reading glasses! "Hmmm, just says here Elizabeth Wu, Graduate Student, University of Miami where she is writing a thes... thesis on explosive materials." she looked up "nuthin' about the police." she handed the paper to Mike.

"Bingo! explosives! That's the reason she got herself nabbed. Somebody wants an explosives expert and a dame writin' a thesis on explosives, well that all adds up. Funny Callahan didn't catch that. Wasn't the B.O.I. boys lookin' for this bomber? An' maybe the dame's tied in with him. Or maybe not, maybe it's something else altogether." It was a head-scratching moment.

"I dunno Mike, maybe we're already in over our heads with this. Maybe this ain't anything to be messin' with. Like Maud here says." Jimmy piped up. It was not fear per se, it was a healthy fear of the unknown with whatever this Organisation was.

Michael looked at him a long moment, beginning to think along the same lines as both Maude and Jimmy, this one might just be more than they could handle. Even with Dixon Steele with them, they were still just three men with no real allies, even the boys from the north, they'd have no stake in this, and certainly not to help a copper.

Loved 1

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

O'Rourke got very excited about the possible link between the missing Chinese student and the mystery bomber but Jimmy (perhaps more of a realist, or perhaps less excited about explosions after his experiences at Belleau Wood) put a damner on this.

"I dunno Mike, maybe we're already in over our heads with this. Maybe this ain't anything to be messin' with. Like Maud here says." Jimmy piped up. It was not fear per se, it was a healthy fear of the unknown with whatever this Organisation was.

"You should listen to him." nodded Maude in agreement. She tried to change the subject.

"Say, Mike, when're you going to take me and Hetty onto that big ship, the Shantoosy or whatever it's called? You know she's been awful blue since she retired. Something like that'd really... you know, get her out of herself." 

Michael O'Rourke

?Years Young
185 Posts

"You should listen to him." nodded Maude in agreement. She tried to change the subject.

"Yeah, yeah sure. I should get whacked for a flatfoot." Michael vented, considering the odds and the options.

"Say, Mike, when're you going to take me and Hetty onto that big ship, the Shantoosy or whatever it's called? You know she's been awful blue since she retired. Something like that'd really... you know, get her out of herself."

"The Shantoosy? Oh, you mean the Chanteuse?" He asked with a grin followed by a belly laugh, "Shantoosy, that's rich! Well, yeah, maybe we oughtta, but it ain't gonna be tonight. Runnin' real late an' I ain't up to clubbing tonight. But she's the safest speakeasy in Miami. Hell the chief of police goes there regularly, I mean, he's got his won table, just like the Mayor, for Chrissake!"

"Hey yeah, a night on the Chanteuse, that'd be great!" Jimmy added. "Always wanted to make a cruise on that tub, maybe not Cuba, hell we go there often enough as it is, but the Bahamas, now that sounds like fun."

"Yeah it does, not sure what the problem is with it not takin' to sea, but sure, the Bahamas, that would be the bee's knees for sure!" Michael agreed.

Loved 1

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"Shantoosy, that's rich!"

Maude laughed, too, and walked over and took his arm affectionately. She hadn't done that in a long time, didn't think she had the right to anymore. But this was purely platonic, and the idea of going on the ship seemed to put him in a better mood than she had seen him in of late. It put her in a good mood, too.

"Well, yeah, maybe we oughtta, but it ain't gonna be tonight. Runnin' real late an' I ain't up to clubbing tonight. But she's the safest speakeasy in Miami. Hell the chief of police goes there regularly, I mean, he's got his own table, just like the Mayor, for Chrissake!"

"Mooney-woony has his own table?" grinned Maude, she was clearly no stranger to Miami's corrupt chief of police!

"Hey yeah, a night on the Chanteuse, that'd be great!" Jimmy added. "Always wanted to make a cruise on that tub, maybe not Cuba, hell we go there often enough as it is, but the Bahamas, now that sounds like fun."

"Gee, I don't care if it's just once around the bay!" Maude gushed "Oh Mike, remember those funny little paddle boats at Coney Island? And you took Hetty out in one because she said she'd never been to sea, and you lost the oar and..." she trailed off, talking of the past always brought back such bitter sweet memories. She shouldn't even think about it, who cared about what happened in 1910 or 1911? It was 1924. Now. They were alive now, and they still had it in them to live and enjoy themselves: even Hetty.

"Let's go on the big boat, next week! Cuba, Coney Island, Iceland, the Bahamas, don't matter, let's just go! Sounds good, huh?" she rallied herself.

"Yeah it does, not sure what the problem is with it not takin' to sea, but sure, the Bahamas, that would be the bee's knees for sure!" Michael agreed.

"Well, even if we just bob around in the bay! Hetty won't know the difference, she won't shift out of her seat once the drinks start coming." Maude laughed.

"Jimmy can bring this Sandy along, introduce her to his high brow lady friends, Maude and Hetty!" she added.

Loved 1

Jimmy Drummond

Mechanic, Driver, Racketeer
?Years Young
52 Posts

"If it's got an engine, I can drive it."

"Let's go on the big boat, next week! Cuba, Coney Island, Iceland, the Bahamas, don't matter, let's just go! Sounds good, huh?" she rallied herself.

"Well, even if we just bob around in the bay! Hetty won't know the difference, she won't shift out of her seat once the drinks start coming." Maude laughed.

"Sure, sure, a great trip for not just her, but for all of us. What I gotta do is check the schedule, and no worries, I got the tickets covered. Be a grand time, sailing anywhere for the weekend!" Michael agreed.

"Jimmy can bring this Sandy along, introduce her to his high brow lady friends, Maude and Hetty!" she added.

"Hey yeah! She'd get a real kick out of that, for sure. I mean, we been on the Liberty plenty of times together, but a big ship? Oh hell yes! That's just the ticket! Never been on a boat that big, be grand, just grand!" Jimmy exclaimed It seemed they were all excited about the idea.

Now all Michael had to do was check the upcoming schedule and book tickets for it, Arlette Marchal was off performing, doing her theater, and looking for that big break, so why not take a cruise and enjoy himself away from situations like the Organisation and the like. It would be good, it would be different, and it might even be relaxing.

Loved 1