Dead End

Started by Jimmy Drummond at Sep 16, 2021 8:47 AM
23 Posts

Jimmy Drummond

Mechanic, Driver, Racketeer
?Years Young
52 Posts

"If it's got an engine, I can drive it."

Leaving Chinese Charlies both Jimmy and Michael felt the deflation of not achieving what they had gone there after, and that was information about the cop but then, Bramwell butted in and pretty much took away any chance that the two could get anything going.

Maneuvering the Dodge through the traffic of nighttime Miami as it started to sprinkle, then picked up and passed, Michael drove toward Maude's place to retrieve their own clothing and clean up, Michael broke the silence, "Bramwell. Something don't fit with that guy in that place. Yeah sure, everybody gets the itch, but somehow I gotta believe with his connections, Pappy'd be bangin' high-class broads, not some dime-a-dance hookers in a dive like Charlies."

"He stuck out like a sore thumb, that's for sure, and he was real interested in that one guy, the one with the odd look to him. Well, him and a couple other mugs I took for muscle." Jimmy pointed out.

"You mean the two guys they took out on stretchers? Yeah, something just didn't add up, including what happed to the little guy and the dame he took back in the back. Hell of a ruckus though."

"So Mike, what's this all add up to? I mean sure you catch a guy outta place somewhere allatime. But he was like a regular in the joint, and that really don't speak to an accident he's there. And you stopped him from going back there too, probably saved him a good thrashin'. Like to know who the little guy was, and why all the attention was on him. Maybe the chink broad? Somebody's prime woman? Who knows."

"This all adds up to we ain't got an iota of info on this whole racket down there. An' I'd bet yer Aunt Fanny's farm that Bramwell is in deep with something based at that place, I also think that the two of us ain't got a shot of figuring it out either." Michael stated disappointedly and he pulled up as close as he could get to Maudes place, busy evening.

Michael O'Rourke

Racketeer, Smugler, Gun Runner
?Years Young
185 Posts

"Do not mistake my friendly demeanor for weakness."

Michael led the way to the front of the place. Certainly a busy evening for Maude and her girls. So, to gain admittance it would take the special knock, though he used it any time he showed up at the place.

"Could take a minute, depending." He announced although Jimmy had been there enough times to know how things were on the busiest of nights.

"Always funny a couple a lugs hangin' out at the front door as the coppers drive by, knowin' what's goin' on inside and payin' no mind to it. Either they all love Maude or she's pays 'em off." Which was no stretch, as payoffs were commonplace with speakeasies and whore houses since most of the department used both.

"So we're coolin' our heels till one of 'em answeres the door." Then both men had a laugh as a squad car went by. One of the cops waved.

Loved 1

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"That'll cost you $50... but don't stop!"

Maude certainly was busy that night. In fact, by the time Mike and Jimmy turned up again she had forgotten all about them and their odd in cognito escapade. That was until one of the newer bouncers called her. 

"Hey, Mrs McCarthy, there's a couple of tramps at the door, should I tell em to get lost?"

A peep through the peep hole brought forth a laugh from the peroxide blonde Madame's over-rouged lips. "Ha! That's all right Moe, I happen to know these two particular bums! They used to be big, swell rum runners, but now they're beggin' fer scraps."

The bouncer let Jimmy and Mike in and Maude led them to the inevitable kitchen and poured them a drink each without bothering to ask. They both looked... well, if not exactly downcast, at least non-triumphant!

"How'd it go?" she asked them "Did anyone penetrate your masterly disguise? Find out whatever it was you were looking for?" she asked, still grinning at their outlandish and, she thought, stagey get-up.

Michael O'Rourke

?Years Young
185 Posts

"Thanks," Michael said as he took the drink and immediately a swallow. "Go? It didn't! Bramwell was there, spotted us, and put the kybosh on gleaning any information on this missing girl, or whoever set the cop afloat."

"So what the hell's Pappy Bramwell doin' in joint like Charlies anyhow? Though he mixed it up with the highbrows these days." Jimmy asked. Both men actually hoped that Maude, with all her connections, might have some idea why the fight promoter was apparently a regular customer of Chinese Charlies. Men used places like that, but men of his stature, even if he was less than respectable, tended to keep a lower profile when it came to prostitutes and dives like that.

"Ain't that the sixty-four dollar question?" Michael asked. "We got nowhere faster than one-legged man in a jitterbug contest!"

Loved 1

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"Thanks," Michael said as he took the drink and immediately a swallow. "Go? It didn't! Bramwell was there, spotted us, and put the kybosh on gleaning any information on this missing girl, or whoever set the cop afloat."

"Huh! Bramwell, the fight promoter? That's kinda odd." Maude shrugged. Mike's partner seemed to agree.

"So what the hell's Pappy Bramwell doin' in joint like Charlies anyhow? Though he mixed it up with the highbrows these days." Jimmy asked. Both men actually hoped that Maude, with all her connections, might have some idea why the fight promoter was apparently a regular customer of Chinese Charlies. Men used places like that, but men of his stature, even if he was less than respectable, tended to keep a lower profile when it came to prostitutes and dives like that.

"Well, sports, gambling, sex: that's where us poor folk and the elite meet. Pappy might know a bunch of swells, but he don't let it go to his head: keeps his feet on the filthy ground where the rest of us live." She understood that, she was the same: living in the murky borderland between the High Brows and the back alleys they slummed it in. "Yeah, still, Chinese Charlie's, why was Pap there?" she asked faintly. 

"Ain't that the sixty-four dollar question?" Michael asked. "We got nowhere faster than one-legged man in a jitterbug contest!"

She eyed them for a few long seconds. They were blundering about. They could get hurt, and she didn't want that: Jimmy was a good kid who'd had a few tough breaks and made some bad choices: Mike, well, her and Mike, that was a story that went back a long way. She would lay flowers on Jimmy's grave, but she would stop a bullet for Mike. She gave a sort of sigh of resignation, more like a whimper: like she'd just taken that bullet.

"Look, you boys know that Bramwell has connections to The Organisation, don't you?" she asked quietly.

Loved 1

Jimmy Drummond

?Years Young
52 Posts

"Hell you say, sorry Maude. We just might be the only ones that don't." Jimmy blurted out. "Wait, what? Organisation?"

"Yeah Maude, what's this Organisation your talkin' about? Not sure I've ever heard anything about them and maybe I should have. Like, they may well be a threat we need to put the clamps on." Michael considered. "We went there lookin' to see what we could find out about a copper Jimmy pulled outta the drink. So if Bramwell and this Organisation are in this, maybe we lean on him a bit, see what he'll spill."

"Maybe it's a job best left to Gag's and his boys," Jimmy suggested. Even bringing Dixon Steele down to lend a hand they were still only three and neither had any idea how big the Organisation mob was, or what they would be up against. Food for thought.

Loved 1

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"Yeah Maude, what's this Organisation your talkin' about? Not sure I've ever heard anything about them and maybe I should have. Like, they may well be a threat we need to put the clamps on." Michael considered.

Maude was the sort of dame who would have looked good in a leotard and tights in a lady's wrestling match. Now she was doing some wrestling with herself. "Look fellers, just forget I said anything, and forget about the Organisation. You keep nosing around places like Chinese Charlie's and it won't be you that's applying the clamps!" she exclaimed, ringing a silk handkerchief in her hands. This didn't sound like a threat, more like a real fear for their health and safety. "Oh, why were you there anyway?" she asked, distressed.

"We went there lookin' to see what we could find out about a copper Jimmy pulled outta the drink. So if Bramwell and this Organisation are in this, maybe we lean on him a bit, see what he'll spill."

"Who cares about some cop?" she snapped. She really couldn't understand why the two of them just couldn't stick to doing what they did so well: smuggling booze. 

"Maybe it's a job best left to Gag's and his boys," Jimmy suggested. Even bringing Dixon Steele down to lend a hand they were still only three and neither had any idea how big the Organisation mob was, or what they would be up against. Food for thought.

"That's a good idea." Maude said quickly. She seemed very uncomfortable with this whole conversation, for some reason.

Loved 1

Michael O'Rourke

?Years Young
185 Posts

Now, Maude McCarthy was special to Michale, perhaps not like Arlette Marshal, but they had been around the block too many times for him not to know there was something going on under them eyelashes that she was not saying, and whatever it was, it was not good.

"So I get it. You know something, but you ain't gonna spill it, right?" He asked. "Maybe these people are more than you think we can handle, and you know, maybe you're right, I dunno. But I know this, Jimmy give his word he'd do his best to find out what happened to the flat foot, an' maybe that's what we done. But you know I have a tough time with that."

"Hey it's okay Mike, honest. We give a shot, got zippo for our trouble. Maybe you don't care to drag Gagliano into this, an' maybe you're right. maybe it ain't his affair. Maybe we need to just back off'a this. Ain't really our business anyway, is it?" Michael looked at him, the to Maude, then back again.

"Maybe." He agreed.

Loved 1

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"So I get it. You know something, but you ain't gonna spill it, right?" He asked. "Maybe these people are more than you think we can handle, and you know, maybe you're right, I dunno. But I know this, Jimmy give his word he'd do his best to find out what happened to the flat foot, an' maybe that's what we done. But you know I have a tough time with that."

"Yeah, gave his word to who - another copper. And for why? You don't owe Baxter anything, in fact he owes you!" she argued: trying to take the heat away from the fact she was indeed holding out on them, to the fact that he shouldn't be helping the police in the first place. "So, some girl's gone missing. I feel sorry for her, but she's one of hundreds every year." It was an unconvincing argument. 

"Hey it's okay Mike, honest. We give a shot, got zippo for our trouble. Maybe you don't care to drag Gagliano into this, an' maybe you're right. maybe it ain't his affair. Maybe we need to just back off'a this. Ain't really our business anyway, is it?" Michael looked at him, the to Maude, then back again.

"Maybe." He agreed.

"Good!" smiled Maude tightly "Then that's settled." she relaxed a little but there was still a feeling of guilt around her: ten years ago she would have rather have died than hold out on Mike O'Rourke, but now: well, maybe she'd got settled, maybe she wanted the quiet life, or maybe she had just accepted that he would never want her in that way again. She took a swig of the gin, and noticed how bitter it tasted. 

Loved 1

Jimmy Drummond

?Years Young
52 Posts

"Makes sense Mike, what the hell, ain't our concern, the coppers safe, who knows about the girl, if there ever was one." Jimmy agreed. "I didn't even know there was a dame involved. wait, what? What dame is that Maude? And, how'd you know it was Baxter who asked me to check on this?" Suspeciions shot through the roof. It was now certain that Maude knew a lot more than she was letting on, but because she knew about Baxter, wasn't all that in the papers, it was the addition of the dame that didn't add up.

Michael looked at her, "Good question Jimmy, what broad? I never heard of no broad either, just the Mick copper. 'Course everyone knows about him. He's supposed to be up to Pembroke Pines cracker factory, and word on the street is, the department's got ol' Baxter on some wild goose chase. So what is it, Maude?"

Wow! 1