On The Mend

Started by Brendon Muldoon at Jun 30, 2021 2:53 PM
96 Posts

Brendon Muldoon

Motor Officer, Miami PD
?Years Young
101 Posts

"You know, I got me a hunch on this one."

"We're good dahc! they drahve ahn passed. Oehnless dey poehlled over ahead o' the car we came in!" Muldoon relayed as he strained to see where the other car may have gone, but ree and brush which hid their automobile served to block the view of the road and filtered out any light.

"I damn sure want to take a gander over there, see if we 'ave cahmpany and maybe take them ooeht ahr at least slow 'em down. whadaya think? We're like settin' doehcks in this place." Of course, the vehicle may well have been en route to somewhere else, and not a threat to them at all, but the big Irishman was keyed up and worried about their fate.

Loved 1

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
44 Posts

"How can you hate someone if you don't know them."

Betty spoke down the phone again. "Did you get that? Arsenicker Key".

When he arrived in Miami, Mark had made the point of getting to know his surroundings as any good federal agent would.  Did she know how many islands there were in Arsenicker Keys?  Then, again she did only say Arsenicker Key, so maybe she was referring to North Arsenicker Key.  Whatever island it was, he needed more information.

"Miss Wu, is there any way you can be more specific about which island the bomb is on.  The quicker we get to the right one, the better," he replied.

As he waited for her answer, he wrote down the location where she was supposedly calling from.  He motioned to one of his fellow agents who was seated at a nearby desk and gave it to him, with instructions to find Sloan.

Betty Wu

Co-Ed
?Years Young
51 Posts

我想我加了太多炸藥!

"Miss Wu, is there any way you can be more specific about which island the bomb is on.  The quicker we get to the right one, the better," he replied.

"He says which one?" Betty's voice could be heard talking to somebody else on the other end of the phone, then her voice came back close to the microphone part of the candelabra shaped telephone.

"North Arsenicker Key" she informed him "At least, that's what's marked on the map.." she paused a second, trying to think things through. "Listen, Mr. Carter, please be straight with me: are you coming? Because if you think I'm making this up or something, then I'm going to find a boat and go back there myself somehow and find my friend!"

Her voice disappeared and was suddenly replaced by that of a quiety-spoken Englishman.

"Hello? This Dr. West, Doctor Henry West. I am with Miss Wu and an Officer Muldoon of the Miami Police Department. If it is a question of believing Miss Wu's story, I can corroborate a great deal of it, would it help to speak to Officer Muldoon?" he asked, Betty was sounding on the verge of hysteria, understandable after the trying circumstances of the last week: he hoped his reassuring tones and the policeman's authority might add ballast to their request for help.

He offered the telephone to Muldoon and took his position in looking out for any new Scorpion Men.

Loved 1

Brendon Muldoon

Motor Officer, Miami PD
?Years Young
101 Posts

"'ello, dis is ahfficer Brendan Moehldoon, shield noehmber seventy-three, Miami P.D., we gaht oehs a prahblem ooeht 'ere. The island in question is real, the cahstumed criminals are real, and we're in real danger 'ere in the Scahrpion Men's 'ide-ooeht. We gaht two dead men, naht moehch ammunition left, and we're goin to 'ave to get mahvin to save de girl befahre too moehch lahnger! So what's it gahnna be?"This was not the best of situations to find ones self in.

"We'll be 'eadin to Paradise Point, they gaht a small marina there, we'll 'ave a boat and oehnderway. Toime is shahrt. And where are you anyway?" Paradise Point had maybe two dozen slips and they were full most of the time. Chances of grabbing a speed boat were very good, and they'd need it, North Arsenicker Key was going to be at least an hour by boat!

Liked 1

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
174 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

OOC: Posting for Tommy to get things rolling for him again!

Tommy was exasperated. Betty hadn't shown up at the bureau on Monday and every time he'd tried to go to her house to find her, no one had been there. Apparently one of her roommates was a comedienne or something and wasn't there at night, and the other had a day job but hadn't been around at night, either.

He was heading back to the bureau when he was intercepted by the messenger Mark had sent. The message was short but very important. Betty was on Black Point and one of her friends was stuck on North Arsenicker Key with a bomb. His eyebrows rose and he let out a whistle. He flagged a taxi to get him to the nearest waterfront as quickly as possible, and from there rented a speedboat. It was the first idea that popped into his head.

As the boat cut through the water and the wind made short work of the pomade in his hair, he tried to come up with a strategy. Maybe it had been foolish to come out here by himself, but why had Mark sent a note if he didn't want him to head out to Arsenicker Key to help? The thing was, if there really was a bomb, Betty was the one who would be able to defuse it.

So should he have tried to find her first? It was too late now. He was already on the way to Arsenicker Key.

By the time he reached the Key, it was dark. He was grateful for the light from the bow of the boat, but as he neared the waterfront, he realized that announcing his presence with a light might not be the best idea. If there was a bomb, there was no telling what he was up against...all by himself.

He cut the light abruptly, wheeled the boat, and headed through the darkness away from the waterfront to another side of the island. As soon as he thought he was far enough away from the more populated part of the island, he turned on the light long enough to get the boat pulled up in a shallow inlet.

He tied it up, hoping his knots were seaworthy, and grabbed a flashlight from the boat before splashing to shore. He used the light until he started to see signs of civilization, and then switched it off. What now? He needed to find the bomb, and Betty's friend.

Maybe he shouldn't have jumped headfirst into this. He wiggled his toes in his soaked socks and shoes and, since there was no going back now, continued on, pushing aside palmetto bushes and praying he wouldn't step on anything poisonous.

Great Idea! 1

Betty Wu

Co-Ed
?Years Young
51 Posts

我想我加了太多炸藥!

Maybe he shouldn't have jumped headfirst into this. He wiggled his toes in his soaked socks and shoes and, since there was no going back now, continued on, pushing aside palmetto bushes and praying he wouldn't step on anything poisonous.

Suddenly there were three guns pointed in his face: a British Webley revolver held by a slight studious looking man, a square looking Cold automatic in the fist of a tough looking hombre wearing ill fitting clothes and a Luger which seemed to dwarf the two hands of the attractive Chinese girl who was holding it. It was she who spoke first - to her rag-tag pair of companions.

"Don't shoot fellers! It's a friend!"

She threw herself into Agent Sloan's arms "Oh Tommy, thank goodness you came: Doc West didn't think you'd take us seriously!" she disentangled herself and peered into the darkness behind him. "Where are the policemen? Oh, or is it the National Guard, or the Marines or..." her shoulders sagged and she looked up at him in the dim light of the Moon "... you're on your own aren't you?"

The man with the glasses, who was, apparently, the one referred to as 'Doc West' sighed a little. "Oh dear."

Loved 1

Brendon Muldoon

Motor Officer, Miami PD
?Years Young
101 Posts

Muldoon looked to the Doctor and then back to the lone agent, "Well damn then, we'll 'ave to do this ooehrselves and 'ahpe we can poehll it ahff, ahr be mencemeat fahr ooehr trooehble!" Once again it seemed, it was 'go it alone,' or not at all. "Now, if these tahrches 'ahld ooeht, and we get loehcky, real loehcky, maybe nahbody dies."

Loved 1

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
174 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

Tommy stopped short as three figures with guns rose up in his way. He raised his hands, one with the flashlight still clutched tightly, and thus was poised perfectly to receive Betty's embrace. For it was Betty, accompanied by two men who were complete opposites of each other.

"Huh?" He grunted in surprise as her impetus partially knocked the breath from him, and eyed the two other men. He waited until her outburst had subsided before squaring his shoulders.

"I'm on my own." He didn't want to say that Carson might be sending backup because he didn't know if it was true. This was what came of not using your head. If only he'd taken the time to go back to the bureau first. "Why's that bad? You know how to defuse a bomb, right? You make them."

He took note of both men's reactions to Betty's realization that he was alone and was startled by the large man's thick Irish accent. It took him a moment to aurally decipher the words. "What do you mean, nobody dies?" he demanded. "It's a bomb. We find Betty's friend, Betty defuses the bomb, and nobody dies!"

He quickly glanced at all of their faces and drawn guns. Why the guns? And why did they think they needed backup? He quickly followed his question to Muldoon with another to any of the three. "Who were you expecting to meet that you thought you'd need those guns?"

Loved 1

Henry West

Psychiatric Doctor
?Years Young
22 Posts

He took note of both men's reactions to Betty's realization that he was alone and was startled by the large man's thick Irish accent. It took him a moment to aurally decipher the words. "What do you mean, nobody dies?" he demanded. "It's a bomb. We find Betty's friend, Betty defuses the bomb, and nobody dies!"

"Ah" said the Doctor. "It may not be quite as simple as that, Agent... er... Agent Sloan, was it?"  

He quickly glanced at all of their faces and drawn guns. Why the guns? And why did they think they needed backup? He quickly followed his question to Muldoon with another to any of the three. "Who were you expecting to meet that you thought you'd need those guns?"

"Some charming and somewhat heavily armed gentlemen with hoods on their heads and rather lovely scorpions embroidered onto their robes. We call them The Scorpion Men. Rather literal, I know, but..." West was cut off by Betty.

"Hey, I thought of that name!" she complained, but then moved on to more pressing matters. "Tell him about the house, Doc."

"Hmmm." he thought before he spoke, a rare accomplishment for most people. "The Scorpion Chaps are based in the ruins of an old Spanish Mansion which has a virtually impregnable looking blockhouse built next to it. We've reconnoitred from this side and came up against a brick wall, literally. We were just about to work out way around through the jungle to the other side of the complex and use the old mansion as a cover before trying to infiltrate the place." he explained. 

When you said it out loud, it wasn't much of a plan: but right now it was all they had. Although they were holding their guns ready, West was painfully aware that as soon as they fired a single shot, the sound would summon a swarm of scorpions.

Brendon Muldoon

Motor Officer, Miami PD
?Years Young
101 Posts

"Weshin' you was twenty, that's 'ow I feel. This 'ere ahrdeal 'as oehs wit very limited ammunition, and ooehtnoehmbered by plenty! The B.O.I. sends one man to poehll oehs ooeht o' de fire 'ere? I dahn't give yooehr ahrganization moehch in the way o' lahngivity." Muldoon was not happy, which should be evident. But he'd forge on because there was a woman to rescue, a bomb to defuse, and bad men to dispense with, by whatever means possible. "Well then, what say we get to it?"

Loved 1