There's The Problem

Started by Jimmy Drummond at Jun 30, 2021 10:09 AM
25 Posts

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"That'll cost you $50... but don't stop!"

Michael smiled and said, "We need to get rollin' kid, we gotta hunch there's a mob we ain't heard of before operatin' out of Charlies, and they ain't Chinks neither. They snatched some dame and a copper who turned up in boat out in the bay. Jimmy made himself a hero pullin' the guy outta the drink."

Maude frowned at this complicated bit of exposition and grunted out a perfunctory "Uh?" This was Mike all over: instead of just sticking to smuggling booze, he always seemed to be getting drawn into business that was none of his business. It wasn't healthy.

"Nah, he was in a dingy, but just the same, whoever snatched them was organized. Ol' Baxter asked me to see what I could find out, Mike here agreed to help, and we gotta thank you, girls, for the loan of the clothes. They should make it easier on us to get inside."

"Baxter" queried Maude "Not Baxter as in Lieutenant Baxter? You two playing footsie with the cops now?!" she asked, genuinely shocked. I mean, it was one thing bribing them to look the other way, but helping them: that was something totally other.

"I hate cops!" hiccoughed Hetty from behind a glass of gin. 

Loved 1

Jimmy Drummond

Mechanic, Driver, Racketeer
?Years Young
52 Posts

"If it's got an engine, I can drive it."

Maude frowned at this complicated bit of exposition and grunted out a perfunctory "Uh?" This was Mike all over: instead of just sticking to smuggling booze, he always seemed to be getting drawn into business that was none of his business. It wasn't healthy.

"Nah, he was in a dingy, but just the same, whoever snatched them was organized. Ol' Baxter asked me to see what I could find out, Mike here agreed to help, and we gotta thank you, girls, for the loan of the clothes. They should make it easier on us to get inside."

"Baxter" queried Maude "Not Baxter as in Lieutenant Baxter? You two playing footsie with the cops now?!" she asked, genuinely shocked. I mean, it was one thing bribing them to look the other way, but helping them: that was something totally other.

"Nah, nah, you got it all wrong." Jimmy protested, "Listen, I save this guy, right? He's a copper, next thing I know Baxter's pulling me aside askin' for my help. I mean, no deals, nothin' like that, just see what we can find out. Well what was I supposed to Do? Bust him in the chops?"

"You miss the part about this other mob cuttin' in?" Micahel asked. "Means all of us are involved one way or another. If we get something on these guys, well, we help everybody. Cops included. C'mon Jimbo, we gotta get rollin' here."

Jimmy looked at the two women, it was hard trying to explain this whole thing to anyone, let alone Maude and Hetty. "See ya ladies." and he headed to the door, Michael winking at the two, then following Jimmy.

Loved 1

Maude McCarthy

Tart with a Heart
?Years Young
31 Posts

"That'll cost you $50... but don't stop!"

"Nah, nah, you got it all wrong." Jimmy protested, "Listen, I save this guy, right? He's a copper, next thing I know Baxter's pulling me aside askin' for my help. I mean, no deals, nothin' like that, just see what we can find out. Well what was I supposed to Do? Bust him in the chops?"

Maude listened to this with folded arms that seemed to scream disapproval. "No, you say 'yes officer, no officer, three bags full officer' and then as soon as the ugly bastard's out of sight forget about the jerk!" she countered. As far as she was concerned 'co-operation with the police' ended as soon as you were out of handcuffing reach.

"You miss the part about this other mob cuttin' in?" Micahel asked. "Means all of us are involved one way or another. If we get something on these guys, well, we help everybody. Cops included. C'mon Jimbo, we gotta get rollin' here."

"Other mob. There's always another mob. You guys stick to your business, smuggling hooch, and you don't need to worry about any other mob. Nobody can touch you fellers at that caper!" she warned. 

Jimmy looked at the two women, it was hard trying to explain this whole thing to anyone, let alone Maude and Hetty. "See ya ladies." and he headed to the door, Michael winking at the two, then following Jimmy.

She gave them a wan wave, genuinely concerned that they were getting into waters so deep and tumultuous that even a Hodgdon Liberty commuter yacht couldn't keep them afloat. 

"Oh, who asked you?!" grumped Maude and sashayed out of the kitchen to see what kinky trick the next John wanted.

Loved 1

Michael O'Rourke

Racketeer, Smugler, Gun Runner
?Years Young
185 Posts

"Do not mistake my friendly demeanor for weakness."

One of the things that Michael liked about the Dodge, it drew very little, if any, attention no matter where he went in it. A very nondescript black automobile that people looked past in favor of the other more colorful, or more flashy ones, and there were certainly those in Miami.

"So lemme get this straight." Michael began, "We're looking for whoever snatched them two, but the girl too, cuz she's especially valuable to the cops. Right?"

"Yeah, that's about it. Seems she worked at this joint as a cigarette girl. And, according to what Baxter said, she uses a monicker, and, get this, she ain't no chippy. Not even 'dime a dance hoofer.' Just sells smokes, gets you to a table, and then the pro skirts take over."

"It don't seem like she'd be held at this dump. I mean if you snatch her, why have her on the property? I'd take her somewhere's else, you know, someplace where whatever I was gonna do with her would be more private than the basement of this club, if you can call it that." Michael was quick to point out.

"So we go fishin'." Jimmy answered. "Troll for some info. Hell, might not be as hard as we think. The broads gotta have at least one friend in the joint. And that dame'll know something. About now, anything would help get a line on this new mob."

Whoever these guys were, well, what their game was was the important thing to learn,. On whose toes were they tromping, and what good will would he and Jimmy earn passing said information along to the right people. Smugglers, they were a dime a dozen, but he, Dix, and Jimmy were a hard team to beat. They had the Cuban connections, the product, and the boat. Oh, there were other boats, that was for sure, but so far, none matched, or had the modifications that Jimmy had made to the twin diesel's which made it the fastest thing on the water for its size.

Parking had not been one of the things either of them had thought about, but lack of it caused them to make a U-turn and head back a block and a half, where they parked in an alley, then walked to the dive called 'Chinese Charlies.'

Continued in "Crossing Paths."

Liked 1