Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
174 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

It seemed like everything was going well. Tommy was making progress with the explosive-loving girl. He was ignoring Betty's scientific jargon and was focusing on what might lie beneath her lab coat when she trailed off and repeated his name thoughtfully.

"Yeah?" He moved even closer to her, intending to distract her before she could follow whatever train of thought she had started on. But her train of thought...

“You’re not Tommy the Train Inspector, by any chance?!” she asked with a frown.

Oh, hell. Tommy realized the game was finally up. Even if Betty didn't know his real identity or job yet, she could have only learned about Tommy the Train Inspector from Gracie, Dan, Magnolia, or Carmen. And that was too close to home.

He started to deny it and then closed his mouth, then shrugged and leaned more heavily on the counter with narrowed eyes. "Yeah...how do you know about Tommy the Train Inspector, though?"

Loved 1

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
44 Posts

"How can you hate someone if you don't know them."

It had taken him only a short time to get the information he needed about Betty Wu from the campus administration office.  The warrant had helped and when it was produced, the staff seemed very eager to hand over Betty's file.  After he had made the necessary notes, he headed over to the science buildings, where Sloan was questioning the girl.

Part of him was uncertain whether or not it was a good idea to let his younger partner question Miss Wu on his own.  Tommy seemed capable and Mark was interested to see what he could on his own.  What he didn't expected was the scene that greeted him when he walked into the laboratory where he had been told that Betty was conducting her tests.

Well, it was supposed to Betty carrying out experiments but it also looked like Tommy was carrying out some of his own.  The two of them were oblivious to his presence.  He wasn't against flirty with a woman to get information out of her as long as she wasn't a suspect.  Betty Wu at this point in time was the only person they had on their list capable of carrying out the bombings they were investigating.

As he neared them, he could hear them more clearly...

“You’re not Tommy the Train Inspector, by any chance?!” she asked with a frown.

"Yeah...how do you know about Tommy the Train Inspector, though?"

Mark cleared his throat, "That's something I would like to know as well."

Loved 1 Made Me Laugh 1

Betty Wu

Co-Ed
?Years Young
51 Posts

我想我加了太多炸藥!

"Yeah...how do you know about Tommy the Train Inspector, though?"

Mark cleared his throat, "That's something I would like to know as well."

Betty raised an eyebrow as she folded her arms, looking from Tommy to Mark and back to Tommy again. "And I suppose this is Sammy the Suspicious Streetcar Searcher."

For all her bravado, she was slightly worried - there were two of these suited palookas, now. She wracked her brains; what had Magnolia said about Tommy the Train Inspector? She had met him on a date with Carmen Messini, a known gangster, according to their landlady, who had warned Magnolia to dump him immediately. Instead, Messini had dumped Brownie. Either way, there was a good chance that these two fellers, far from being policemen, were mobsters! And she had just told them that she worked for the police!

She glanced up the lab to make sure that Andrea was at least still arou... she was GONE!

"So, er, how can I help you fellers?" she asked, nervous now.

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
174 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

"Carson!" Tommy jumped and pushed away from the counter and away from Betty as Mark approached them. He quickly crossed his arms and tucked his hands beneath his armpits, his mind racing. How was he going to answer Mark's question about Tommy the Train Inspector? Maybe it would be better not to answer it yet.

"It's a long story," he muttered to Mark. "Uh, this is Betty." He untucked one hand to gesture at the woman. "She does interpreting for the Miami Police. Lieutenant...uh...what'd you say..." he snapped his fingers repeatedly as he tried to think of the word and then looked up. "Baxter! She's worked for Baxter before." 

He then turned to Betty. "Er, no, his name's Carson. Mark Carson. We work together." He cut his eyes at Mark and then continued, conscious of the other man's presence. "And I guess I might as well tell you I'm not really a janitor. Neither is he. We work at the Bureau of Investigation."

That sounded slightly impressive, but Betty didn't seem like the kind of girl to be scared of a big title like that.

Liked 1

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
44 Posts

Mark kept a serious face as he watched Tommy try to cover up this train inspector business.  He found the situation a bit amusing but thankfully his years of working undercover in various jobs had taught him to school his features.  As for this Baxter fellow, Mark didn't know who he was but he would make sure to take a note of it for future reference.  If truth be told, he wasn't interested in what the local law was up to as long as it didn't interfere with the Bureau's work.

Turning his attention to Betty, he nodded firmly, "As my esteemed colleague said, we're from the Bureau of Investigation.  We need to ask you a few questions in connection to some bombings that have been going on lately."

Javia

Liked 1

Betty Wu

Co-Ed
?Years Young
51 Posts

我想我加了太多炸藥!

He then turned to Betty. "Er, no, his name's Carson. Mark Carson. We work together." He cut his eyes at Mark and then continued, conscious of the other man's presence. "And I guess I might as well tell you I'm not really a janitor. Neither is he. We work at the Bureau of Investigation."

That was a relief: these two were definitely not mobsters! The young one seemed too bumbling and well, slightly incompetent (in an extremely cute way!) to be a mobster anyway. He didn’t seem too much like her idea of a Federal Agent either, but her first hunch at him being a cop (even if a cop who had just scraped the interview and was having a bad first day on the job) wasn’t too far off the mark.

And talking of Marks – she turned her pretty brown eyes toward the other agent. This one was another kettle of fish entirely: handsome in a different way, a little older, probably more experienced. She could imagine having fun with Tommy, a giggle, a night out on the town. Mark Carson gave her goosebumps in a different way. He was serious, deep. She couldn’t imagine doing anything in Miami with him: but she could imagine sitting on a cold beach up North somewhere on a stormy day, holding his hand and staring out to sea. Brooding.

Turning his attention to Betty, he nodded firmly, "As my esteemed colleague said, we're from the Bureau of Investigation.  We need to ask you a few questions in connection to some bombings that have been going on lately."

Where Sloan had brought out the flirt in her, Carson made her come over all cold and professional, like she wanted him to take her seriously (as what? A Chemistry student?! Oh well!). She stuck out a hand to him. 

“Yes, I’m Betty Wu. Do you have a badge I can see, Agent Carson?” she asked formally “I oughtn’t give out information about explosives to just anyone, you know. It could be very dangerous in the wrong hands.” Oh no!! She had wanted to sound professional, not like a grumpy old bag!

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
174 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

Tommy squirmed uncomfortably as Mark finally told Betty the reason for their visit. The only reason it was "finally" was because he had tried to flirt with Betty. He probably should have just started with the real reason he had come. But, he reminded himself, Betty had admitted that she worked with the police on her own, and she might not have if he had started out by announcing that he was an agent.

He didn't like being left out of the conversation and felt the need to redeem himself in Carson's eyes, so he waited for an opportune moment to jump in. Betty's asking for a badge was the perfect opportunity.

"We've both got badges," he piped up, pulling his jacket aside to reveal where he had pinned his: right below the bottom seam of his breast pocket, where Betty likely wouldn't have been able to see it even if she had gotten the chance to peek down his jacket while brushing off his clothes.

Loved 1 Made Me Laugh 1

Mark Carson

Federal Agent
?Years Young
44 Posts

Mark pulled out a wallet which contained both his badge and identification.  After showing them to Betty, he put them back in the breast pocket of his jacket.

"Miss Wu, I don't know how much my colleague has told you but we're interested in knowing more about what you do and in particular where you do it."

There was no point in beating around the bush.  Tommy had done enough of that already.  "To put it simply, there's been a series of bombings in town and your name has come to the top of our list."

Loved 1

Betty Wu

Co-Ed
?Years Young
51 Posts

我想我加了太多炸藥!

He didn't like being left out of the conversation and felt the need to redeem himself in Carson's eyes, so he waited for an opportune moment to jump in. Betty's asking for a badge was the perfect opportunity.

"We've both got badges," he piped up, pulling his jacket aside to reveal where he had pinned his: right below the bottom seam of his breast pocket, where Betty likely wouldn't have been able to see it even if she had gotten the chance to peek down his jacket while brushing off his clothes.

"Oh! Neat!" Betty smiled at Tommy, she sort of felt sorry for him all of a sudden, next to this brisk and serious newcomer, he seemed more like a playful but slightly lost puppy.

Mark pulled out a wallet which contained both his badge and identification.  After showing them to Betty, he put them back in the breast pocket of his jacket.

"Miss Wu, I don't know how much my colleague has told you but we're interested in knowing more about what you do and in particular where you do it."

Betty didn't comment on the 'what my colleague has told you' part: it had felt more like they were flirting that anything, she just got on and answered the commanding Carson's question.

"Well, I blow things up mostly, and work out how to stop things blowing up. Smaller experiments I can do here, big ones I use the Army Firing range out at Camp Miami, Captain Donahue out there is very accommodating." she sounded sort of stiff answering this darkly handsome man, careful of what she was saying. She'd felt much more relaxed with Tommy. "I was just showing your colleague one of the smaller explosions before you came in." she added.

That was only sort of true, but she hoped it would make it seem less like the two of them had just been fooling around. "Why, Agent, er, Carson? What's this all about."

There was no point in beating around the bush.  Tommy had done enough of that already.  "To put it simply, there's been a series of bombings in town and your name has come to the top of our list."

"Oh, I read about those!" replied Betty, with all the vim of an enthusiast "I know they were small but they sound like the work of a real expert, you see..." she trailed off suddenly and eyed the two of them suspiciously.

"Say, when you say I'm top of the list, you mean the list of experts who you want advice from, right? Not..." the other alternative was too awful to speak out loud - did they think that she might be the bomber?!

Wow! 1

Tommy Sloan

Federal Agent
?Years Young
174 Posts

"Fulfill the prophecy;
Be something greater;
Go make a legacy;
Manifest destiny"

He made a mental note: Camp Miami, Captain Donahue. That could come in handy in their investigation and in proving Betty's innocence. Because Carson seemed to think she was capable of bombing all these stills. Of course she was capable, but was she culpable?

"Of course we don't think you're the bomber!" he said quickly, filling in Betty's unfinished sentence and shooting a glare at Carson. "Or at least I don't. Not after you kept me from being blinded by that explosion you set off just now. But we think you might know how the bomber is working or where he got his knowledge. That's why you're on top of our list."

That was true, at least in his book. Mark, on the other hand, might be more suspicious. He had seen more of the world than Tommy, and might have more reason to suspect Betty than someone as young as Tommy would.

"Anything you can tell us would be helpful. What materials might the bomber use and who would he buy them from?" He was the picture of studiousness now.

Liked 1