Started by Jimmy Drummond at Jun 02, 2021 12:51 PM
April 21, 1924
5 Posts

Jimmy Drummond

Mechanic, Driver, Racketeer
?Years Young
52 Posts

"If it's got an engine, I can drive it."

Well, there he was, lying under a sheet, mosquito netting surrounding the bed he was in, somewhere along the line he had made a choice. That was not like Jimmy Drummond at all. Especially when it came to women. Yet there he was, in the morning light with Sandy Maxwell curled up next to him. This was her house, her bed, and the results of his choice.

The evening had started with a stop at the Anchor Inn to see what his other female interest was up too, and found that she was engrossed with another young man. But in typical Drummond fashion, he smiled as he finished his beer and left her a tip on his way out the door. At the moment it was one out and maybe one in, although he and Mary certainly had some chemistry. But confirmed field player, he just figured she would do until another came along.

The trade wind coming in the form of an onshore breeze, which ruffled the curtains and the netting, washing over him. The first thought was that he would go surfing, but first, he would have to get up, second, he'd have to go home to get his board, and third, he would have to walk. He was far too comfortable for that, and then her hand gently pushed across his chest, her head nuzzling against his shoulder. Maybe all of that could wait.

Mary                  Sandy

TBC

Jimmy Drummond

?Years Young
52 Posts

Breakfast had been sumptuous for the mechanic, who generally just had coffee, and sometimes not that. Bacon and eggs, with fried potatoes and toast, far beyond his norm. Though Sandy was sure to inform him that she hated breakfast, well, fixing it. Having it in Swenson's cafe? Whole another story.

"So Max," A shortened form of her last name that he called her. "How 'bout you and me take the Liberty out and a make a run up to Miami? I need to see if I can find Mike or Dix, haven't been able to raise either one and besides, you and me, the Liberty, the ocean, yeah baby! That's just the ticket."

"What about the cars in the garage?" She asked, knowing ahead of time what he would say.

"They can wait. Not much left to finish and 'sides, I haven't had a day off for the last, I dunno, hell. Yeah! Let's do it, even if I don't find them we can have lunch up there."

Sandy smiled, "Okay, I love that boat! Are you sure that Mike won't mind?" She asked.

"Nah, I can use it whenever, and that would be this morning, wouldn't it? Come on, grab whatever you need and lets get underway." He urged.

"Just remember, I have to be at work tonight."

"Not even a problem, I'll have you back in plenty of time, promise." And she kissed him, hard.

TBC

Jimmy Drummond

?Years Young
52 Posts

Down to the boat dock where the Liberty was tied up, they walked hand in hand as if they had all the time in the world, well, it was eight-thirty in the morning and Sandy was not due in until five-thirty, that was nine hours. It would take three to cover the one hundred sixty mile trip, maybe less with the twin marine engines reworked from their base eleven hundred horsepower to closer to thirteen hundred.

Once they were out in the bay, Jimmy pushed the throttle to one-third speed until they cleared any other boat traffic, then he opened her up, heading for the coastline where the water would be smoother and not beat them to death. The inland waterways would be like glass, except they would be crowded with other boats of various sizes moving about. Wrong time of the day to be racing through there.

He was pleasantly surprised that the water was calm, smooth, but hardly glassy. He had made this run many many times, and days like this he loved it. He pushed the Liberty to the max, and that of course would trim the time to right at the three hours he promised Max. she was right there with him, enjoying every minute of it. He liked that.

As they closed in on Key Biscayne he throttled back to a respectable speed. "Not quite three hours, Max." He bragged. She hugged him.

"This boat can fly!" She stated and she ran her hands back through her windblown hair to try and salvage the look. "A great trip!"

Jimmy Drummond

?Years Young
52 Posts

Biscayne Bay was calm and great for cruising, with his throttle cut back that was exactly what Jimmy had in mind, Key Biscayne was to their right and what they were calling Coconut Grove and South Miami to their left.

"I like going this way, always calmer water, a nice cruise into Miami with the key on one side the mainland on the other." Jimmy described to 'Max'.

"Oh, it is!" Sandy exclaimed looking from side to side. Though the ride u to this point had been exhilarating, she found the cruising speed much more satisfactory. There was time to look at the sights that were presented. "What do you think of living on an island, Jimmy?"

"We pretty much do, though we are more connected than Key Biscayne is, I mean to the mainland."

"What's that to there?" She asked suddenly, pointing to an object in closer to the South Miami side.

"Looks like a dinghy to me, lets have a look. Maybe tow it in, if not it's liable to get hit can't have that." He explained. "Probably came loose, the tide's going...what the hell! Somebody's in the damned thing!" He turned the boat and inched up the throttle and eased alongside.

TBC in 'Slow Boat To Death.'