Rolling Down Highway 1

Started by Dixon Steele at May 20, 2021 10:27 AM
20 Posts

Dixon Steele

Smuggler, alcohol, drugs, guns.
?Years Young
27 Posts

"If you need it, I got it, or I can get it!"

Nora leaned against Dixon’s shoulder as he drove down Highway One, the scenic route. Sure, he was in a hurry to reach Miami, but he also liked to drive the route for the aesthetics. And the plus, heading south with Nora at his side. Not that any trip was without a certain amount of danger in his profession, because there were those that wanted what he had built, not many, but perhaps just enough to make any trip perilous, yet Dixon Steele moved through life as if there were no threats.

"So the man that's wants to cause havoc with everyone. doesn't he realize the fate that awaits him?" Nora asked.

"Probably not. Those that buck the odds in this business seldom figure that they are the ones that end up dead. Somehow they think they can beat the odds. Like the Sorely family. Fighting their way into a death trap with every thug in Miami looking for them. Sad, but true." Dixon replied softly as if it were a conversation about the weather or some such, not life and death.

"And this other man, this Goldburg?"

"Goldenburg." Dixon corrected.

"Yes, I have not heard of that name before, but yes, what do you think he will try? Open warfare?" She asked, clearly concerned.

"Hard to tell what he might try, I don't know him, don't have a gauge on his temperament. But I'm sure he'll start slowly, feel out the competition first, then we'll see who and what he is. But open warfare? That is always a risk." Were his thoughts verbalized? "Goldenburg, probably out of New York, common enough name there, but who knows. He's here now, and a threat."

"And Michael, Jimmy, what do you think they will want to do about this threat?" She asked, knowing that they were his partners and they would stand together.

"Now that one, Baby, is a good question. You know, confronted with this, I really don't know. Part of the reason we're headed down there is to get a feel for what is happening and how those two feel about it. Maybe they'll want to side up with Freddy Gagliano and his boys, or maybe they have no choice about that. Maybe Freddy just tells us we're in with them, maybe not." He paused a moment, reflecting on the possibilities. "This is going to be quite the situation."

Nora said nothing, realizing that continued talk about something with no apparent answers was fruitless as well as pointless. Whatever the state of affairs in the world of the mobsters, she would know soon enough.

TBC

Dixon Steele

?Years Young
27 Posts

"So, how about I turn the radio on and find some music, nice, soft, calming music," Nore asked, as she usually did on a long drive. Automobile radios were a wonderful thing,

"Sure "Baby" that's what it's for," Dixon answered, no matter what Nora would ask for, which was never much, Dixon would never refuse her.

Instead of music, it was the news. “-morning the Metropolitan Bank was robbed and the staff and customers senselessly brutalized. Bank Manager Albert Quimsley was shot to death his body found in the empty vault. In a sustained burst of machinegun fire, guards Lloyd Bancroft and Ellis Pritchard were the only ones killed. The eleven people were injured from falling pieces of the ceiling, among them three women and two small children. Two tellers and six male customers -" She shut it off.

"Well, now we have an idea of what this man is capable of," Dixon announced, knowing that there was no other mob in the city that would take a bank like that. "So, he's staked a claim. Announced to the other mobs in Miami that he is here, and he means business. Killing like that was for effect, sending a message that no one is safe. I'll get you out of there as fast as I can, but we're almost to Miami and I need to get ahold of Michael, and I need to talk with Gagliano about meeting with the boys from the north. Maybe we can head this off before it get's worse."

"I'm fine, Dix, and really, he doesn't even know I exist. Yes, he is saying no one is safe but he doesn't know who is who. He doesn't know you or Michael or Jimmy and certainly not me, at least at this point, so please Dix, don't worry about me for now. Get done what you must with the information you have."

"You're the best Baby, the very best. But, I'll make it quick, promise." Dixon replied. He knew that Goldenburg was oblivious to most of the racketers in Miami, for now. He had names, he knew that Goldenburg would have names, though it was questionable that he had faces, or families to go with them. Gagliano would be at the top of his list.

TBC

Dixon Steele

?Years Young
27 Posts

The drive was faster than he had anticipated, perhaps a heavy foot on a Drummond modified motor that exceeded the capabilities of the normal six-cylinder. Dixon had no idea what Jimmy had done to the engine, just that he had, and the care was much faster than before.

He drove to the Greystone hotel first to see if his partner was checked in there, the place he generally stayed when he was up from his home in Key West, a place he had not seen a lot of lately. Fortunately, he was checked in there, but not there at the moment so he left a note. Then on a hunch,  Dixon headed for Maude's place, and again, no luck. This frustrated Dixon. Usually, Michael was easy to find, not so on this day, leaving only one course of action open to him. Heading over to Galiano's sham business and filling in his friend later.

He pulled up in front of Nova Roma Enterprises, normally he would have Nora wait in the car, not this time, not under these conditions. He walked around and opened her door for her, offering a hand. Once she was out of the automobile, he guided her to the front door, and opened it for her as well, following close behind.

The man looked up from whatever it was he was doing, staring at Nora a long moment, Dixon smiled and said, "Dixon Steele for Mister Gagliano."

Frederico (Freddy) Gagliano

Gangland Boss
?Years Young
33 Posts

I'm a businessman, see. It's just a rough business is all.

Nico Carvelli looked up from reading his magazine and the first thing his eyes went to the swank and gorgeous broad. Of course she was out of Nico's league, he was a realist above all else, but gee, one could look for free. But there was also some man there, a stranger.

Dixon smiled and said, "Dixon Steele for Mister Gagliano."

The name sounded vaguely familiar but that was about it. However he didn't even need to look at the appointment book. No one by that name was on the list.

"You don't say? Well, Mr. Steele it seems you donna have an appointment? What is dis all about then?"

Dixon Steele

?Years Young
27 Posts

"You don't say? Well, Mr. Steele it seems you donna have an appointment? What is dis all about then?"

"No, I don't have an appointment., however, I am a colleague of Michael O'Rourke if that helps, and I have some information for Mister Gagliano which needs to be given to him in person, as a reply will be needed for some gentlemen in the north. This involves the competitors who made a withdrawal at the Metropolitan Bank." Dixon reported. "It is rather important, if not urgent that I speak to him in person. It shouldn't take very long at all."

He stood waiting for a response, as Nora clutched his arm. This situation with Goldenberg could get a lot worse before it got better, the man either had no control over his hoods, or they were acting on his orders. To hit a jewelry store and a bank on the same morning said something about his methods, none of which was good.

Gangland Boss
?Years Young
33 Posts

"No, I don't have an appointment., however, I am a colleague of Michael O'Rourke if that helps, and I have some information for Mister Gagliano which needs to be given to him in person, as a reply will be needed for some gentlemen in the north. This involves the competitors who made a withdrawal at the Metropolitan Bank." Dixon reported. "It is rather important, if not urgent that I speak to him in person. It shouldn't take very long at all."

Nico looked perplexed at the mention of competitors making a withdrawal at a bank? Sure didn't sound like anything his boss was involved with. But he did recognize the name of O'Rourke. It seemed Gags liked the Irishman.

The Italian gave a dramatic sigh, "Seems no one respects the proper way to arrange meetings, making appointments. But very well, I will see if Mr. Gagliano is available to see you."

"In the meantime you wait right here, don't go wandering now. Mr. Gagliano wouldn't like that," he warned but with a false smile.

And with that he left them and disappeared thru another door into the building's interior. Odds were though someone was watching them - thru a convenient peephole.

Dixon Steele

?Years Young
27 Posts

"In the meantime you wait right here, don't go wandering now. Mr. Gagliano wouldn't like that," he warned but with a false smile.

"Yeah sure, we'll be right here," Dixon said this would be all part of how Gagliano did business.

And with that he left them and disappeared thru another door into the building's interior. Odds were though someone was watching them - thru a convenient peephole.

He was simply the messenger, a role he had performed several times before, but never with Freddy Gagliano. He was not crazy about having Nora with him, but circumstances being what they were he had little choice, other than to drop her off someplace, he liked that even less. So, they waited.

Michael O'Rourke

Racketeer, Smugler, Gun Runner
?Years Young
185 Posts

"Do not mistake my friendly demeanor for weakness."

Little did either Carvelli or Dixon know that Michael O'Rourke had pulled up just behind Dixon's Peerless 670 Sedan. Got out and walked briskly to the front door of Nova Roma Enterprises and yanked it open."I thought that was your car." Michael said. "Hiya gorgeous!" He gave Nora a hug. "What'er you two doing here?"

"You ain't heard the news? A new mob just hit the Metropolitan Bank and that jewelry store next door to it! Killed the manager and two guards, injured a bunch of people. You know women and kids besides other men." Dixon replied."None serious, but it's just a matter of time."

"Um, so?"

Well, the boys up north sent a warning, this guy's poison with a capital "P"!" Came the response. He's got some of the best, and some of the worst from up there, and he ain't holdin' em back." Dixon said. "Waitin to see Mister Gagliano about it."

"Me too got a lead o the Sorleys location, and it's a humdinger! Middle of the swap, a real dump." Michael explained. This could shut the door on that chapter!"

"Yeah, that would be good, I'm thinkin'." Dixon agreed. Nora smiled.

"One less problem, but like Dix said, this other new guy, he's gonna be a problem." Nora added.

Gangland Boss
?Years Young
33 Posts

Carvelli just happened to walk in then at that point in the trio's conversation and the look on his fat face showed his surprise at seeing O'Rourke. Where'd he come from?

"Hey, O'Rourke? I didn't know yous  was with 'em?"

"Anyhow, you can come on up then but just so you know, Mr. Gagliano's men will be friskin' ya for weapons. Just part of da business is all, right?" he smiled.

"Follow me," he waved them on then turned about and before you know it they were upstairs and facing two stone faced bulky Italian looking types, Michael would recognize them from previous times as two of Gag's bodyguards.

Michael O'Rourke

Racketeer, Smugler, Gun Runner
?Years Young
185 Posts

"Do not mistake my friendly demeanor for weakness."

"Hey, O'Rourke? I didn't know yous  was with 'em?"

"We work together, old chums," Michael explained briefly.

"Anyhow, you can come on up then but just so you know, Mr. Gagliano's men will be friskin' ya for weapons. Just part of da business is all, right?" he smiled.

"I wouldn't expect anything less," Was Dixon's response to what always happened at these 'meetings.' "Everyone knows Mister Gagliano is a careful man."

"Follow me," he waved them on then turned about and before you know it they were upstairs and facing two stone faced bulky Italian looking types, Michael would recognize them from previous times as two of Gag's bodyguards.

Both men raised their arms, elbows bent, hands inward, palms down. Standard. Both men of curse had guns, neither tried to hide the fact, it could be fatal, and, that was not why they were there. Pieces removed and stored safely, they entered the office of Freddy "Gags" Galiano.

"Hello Freddy, meet my partner Dixon Steele and his fiance, Nora Temple." Michael introduce. "Seems we both have information for you."