Flight To Frisco

Started by Dr. Titus Curtiz PhD at May 05, 2021 6:05 PM
April 0, 1924
14 Posts

Dr. Titus Curtiz PhD

?Years Young
23 Posts

"Yes, they are very old, but I value antiquities as one might value life."

They walked to the touring car, feeling very good about their adventure. It had been a breath of fresh air! Something far out of the ordinary, and most unexpected visits on board the train by this Mister Wong fellow, who apparently had no first name, and Eyan Manchu, who seemed to turn up at the oddest moments.

Looking back, as the chauffeur held the door for them, they saw the university truck heading off and the workmen dispersing to their other duties, then both slipped inside the car, the door shut securely.

"It was most pleasant wouldn't you say Raken?" Titus asked.

"Oh it waz, a most enjoyable trip. Raken agreed as the automobile negotiated its way out of the station and into the morning flow of traffic. "I wonder about future endeavors of this sort."

"Yes, yes, quite so. As Li Qiang stated, we will be contacted and again, a meeting with Hong Xui is on tap, so an answer to that question is forthcoming. I shall be excited to learn how they perceive it went, and what lies ahead. Most exhilarating. Not quite like old times, but close enough, eh Raken."

"Yes of course, close enough, and I do am anxious to learn what might be next." For Raken it was much like old times, and being armed, in a situation which was far from secure, well, that was just like home to him.

TBC

Raken Petrroff

?Years Young
39 Posts

"I could be just around the corner from Heaven, or, a mile from Hell."

Jackson Browne 1974

"Yes of course, close enough, and I too, am anxious to learn what might be next." He was smiling at the thought of more clandestine operations with their Chinese benefactors. True, the money was very good for very little work, though as a realist Raken knew that as they went along, the danger of discovery would increase exponentially and that was just fine with him.

The life of a gentleman's gentleman was not without its moments, but those could not hope to compare with the life of an adventurer, and that was how he saw the professor and himself, adventurers. What lay ahead? There were those who knew down to the last detail, of that he was positive. In time he and the Professor would be apprized of those details and be back in the midst of another 'mission.'

"You know Professor, I think our bond with the Chinese is going to provide us more excitement than we could have ever dreamed of." He said at length. "Much more."

"I would agree Raken, excitement with a, a full measure of danger. Thrilling is it not." Titus remarked in agreement. "I find it difficult to wait for this call."

Just then the touring car pulled up at their residence. The chauffeur got out and came back to open the door to let Raken out closing the door, then around curbside to let the Professor out. With a bow, he closed that door, then went around the front, got in, and drove off as the two stood there watching, feeling a bit let down.

TBC

Dr. Titus Curtiz PhD

?Years Young
23 Posts

"Yes, they are very old, but I value antiquities as one might value life."

As in all things, each piece must conclude before the next can begin, and so it was with their little smuggling adventure, which, when one looked at it, would only get bigger and more dangerous. Professor Curtiz of all men realized he was far from in shape, his weight might well be a disadvantage to some, but he was surprisingly agile, and light on his feet.

Of Raken, younger, lighter, faster, quicker reflexes, so indeed that made for a good team, and with their cover,  excellent chances for success in future endeavors. Both men were at one time warriors, not what they had become, and with this lifestyle of theirs, few would bother to even glance at their backgrounds.

They walked to the house, opened the front door, and went inside, closing the door behind them. Raken bolting the door. Old precautions were surfacing. Next, he went to the specially designed book shelving and moved the proper books in the exact sequence required to allow the shelving to move inward soundlessly. He flipped on the switch and illuminated a room where he had stored their weapons.  Then as he did regularly, he backing inspecting of them, of which there were several, rifles, pistols and automatic weapons which had carefully been smuggled into America after the war.

Meanwhile, Titus began reviewing the mission as one would review a military campaign. From beginning to end he laid it out on paper. The Chinese had been flawless in their execution, there was no doubt. What he began to study intently was their performance during the mission. He could not bring himself to call it otherwise.

The Hotel stay, had they been careless? Had they tipped their hand at any point, and the answer was a resounding no. The same was true of procuring the cargo with the nonchalant attitude of what would be expected of a doddering college professor simply doing his assigned task. It had truly gone off without a hitch. Titus smiled with satisfaction. Now, on to the next adventure!

End...

Liked 1