Discussing The Criminal Element In Miami

Started by Flip at Apr 25, 2021 11:04 AM
8 Posts

Flip

51Years Young
774 Posts

So there appears to a rise in criminal activity in beautiful downtown Miami and the surrounding areas. But that is the time period. There has been some conversation about getting the mobs/gangs/Independents together in one way or another.

There are the Italians, the Chinese, the Independents (O'Rourke et al), and soon to be arriving, the Jewish-led mob. Therein lies 'The Problem.'

How would they come together, or would they? Would a war between them spread sitewide? And the B.O.I., what of them? (realizing there is a story arc with the bomber)

Is there a connection between any of the mob bosses and the Police Chief?

What ideas are out there about this? What are the possibilities, many I am sure? Oh, and when the Chanteuse sets sail you can bet the flamboyant mobsters will be there!

So, let's chat...

Wayfarer

41Years Young
649 Posts

I definitely think it would be very difficult for these various ethnic gangs to ever truly come together and cooperate. Ethnic hatred, racism, etc all was a very big thing then. It took a long long time for just the Italians (chiefly Sicilians) to just get their act together finally and definitely not during the 1920s. So keep that in mind.

I've been doing some of that already with a few of my chars. They don't like or don't trust various ethnic groups for whatever reasons.

Worst of all are the Sorleys who are country hicks deciding to move in on Miami rackets with all the subtlety of a jackhammer. They hate everyone not related to them. Mad dogs with guns really.

So keep that in mind then the mindsets of the times. Various gangs might on occasion cooperate for profits or convenience but they are just as likely to backstab and fight.

Let's not have one big happy family.

Javia

56Years Young
841 Posts

Hmm, well, the von Epps will sell weapons to anyone and the Chinese use their International Shipping to import their dope, but they try and keep out of 'local' gangland in-fighting if possible, But yeah, if they're all too friendly with each other, we'd miss out on all these great gang wars and drive by shootings and St Bartholomew Day's Massacres we've been having...

I did have an idea based on the Fritz Lang film 'M' that the "Bomber" is causing so much police and BOI activity in the city (Cops looking for the bomber stumbling into other illegal activity) that they broker a truce and a co-ordinated effort to track the bomber down and kill him/her off. But then they can get back to firing Tommy guns at each other.

Flip

51Years Young
774 Posts

Well, no one really ever suggested they be best buds, I probably wasn't clear about them coming together, war would bring them together.

But already we've a couple good ideas which might well require some Joint Posting to pull off. Of course the poor Sorleys, everyone is after them, except possibly the Chinese and that too can change.

Willing to see what some other folks think.

Wayfarer

41Years Young
649 Posts

Yes, in fact I created the Sorleys to be expendable, the party crashers as it were, that various Miami mobsters might well cooperate to get rid of. Nope, it wouldn't make the gangs best of buds but it would make sense in this case.

O'Rourke already gets along well enough with Gagliano and now Gags is on the trail of the Sorleys with some intel from ORourke. Albert Brazaga is out for blood now. He pretty much hates everybody but he does obey Gagliano - least so far.

Bongo

Goddess
64Years Young
264 Posts

Blah blah blah...Meow

Can't we all just get along?

Sorry, I'm from California!

Wayfarer

41Years Young
649 Posts

LOL, where they definitely do not all get along together!   (Hey they don't in my state either)

JulieS

53Years Young
142 Posts

Well the B.O.I would be interested in talking to anyone if it gives them a clue in finding the bomber.  They can't even work out what the motive is yet but they would have some ideas.  The next bombing (probably in May) will see an escalation from garage operations to something more significant like a small speakeasy.

When the bomber starts hitting the speakeasies, then the motive of it being a grudge against some criminal element will become prominent, so then they will be looking at getting some co-operation from the various gangs.

Other than that, we can some other BOI agents start looking at the gangs for some reason.  I can have Dan Morris assign a couple of them and then just get his point of view on what is happening.