Started by Sid Gaier at Feb 28, 2021 3:46 PM
June 15, 1924
92 Posts

Teddy Henderson

Professional Widower
?Years Young
41 Posts

"Now do eat up all of your broth, dearest, it's good for you."

"Thanks but no thanks.  All I'm here to do is write a story about this new radio show."

It was hardly surprising that Teddy had confounded Vickie's Society column with Verity Henshaw's fashion column: most reports about big society functions and parties seemed to centre on what the female celebrities were wearing (the men, of course, were in uniform white tie evening dress) After Sid had given him a flea in his ear about the laxative advertisement, this second blow made his face positively crumple.

Considering that she was here by invitation, Victoria decided to relent a little.  Mavis Jones was a good person and she would her out if need be.  "However, if Mavis wants me to help out, I'll do it...just for today."

"Oh, jolly good!" Teddy beamed again: temporarily forgetting that it still left him with the Relax material to read. "Just, you know, talk about anything: perhaps Mr. Blankenship here can help you out!" he suggested, re-attaching the two, as it were, before hurrying back to the microphone.

He certainly had no wish to permanently 'cut in' there, after all: he was more his type than she was!

Mavis 'Ginger' Jones

Businesswoman and accidental Radio Personality
?Years Young
27 Posts

"Ladies, do you ever worry about ... personal delicacy?"

Evelyn was still trying to wrap her head around Mavis's new idea when Sid sidled up. Apparently he had had the same idea as Mavis. She put her hands on her hips and glared. "Genius idea, Sid. Too bad Ms. Jones here thought of it first."

She did have to admit that she liked Sid's slightly more comic version of the idea better than Mavis's debate gladiator showdown, but Sid was still a day late and a dollar short. Poor guy.

Jones frowned. Who was this fellow? 

"Tell you what you can do, Sid. You're a logistics guy, so I want you to work through the logistics of this deal with the radio station and getting me signed on with Muff and the band. I can count on you to do that, can't I?"

"Oh, you're their agent!" Mavis nodded. "Do you represent all the artists?"

"He doesn't represent me!" Kelly Patt said quickly, but then thought about the large percentage of her earnings that her current agent took for doing exactly nothing. "... unless you work for 7 per cent?" she frowned enquiringly at Sid. 

"Well, I've got all the paperwork in the office, if you want to get to work on it." Mavis offered Sid.

Sid Gaier

Logistics guy for Muff Miller's Band
?Years Young
27 Posts

Hey Boss!  We could be in trouble!

She did have to admit that she liked Sid's slightly more comic version of the idea better than Mavis's debate gladiator showdown, but Sid was still a day late and a dollar short. Poor guy.

"Tell you what you can do, Sid. You're a logistics guy, so I want you to work through the logistics of this deal with the radio station and getting me signed on with Muff and the band. I can count on you to do that, can't I?"

"I don't take direction from you," Sid snapped, thinking,  Who does this skirt think she is?

She melted into a pleasant, simpering smile that bore no resemblance to the look of extreme ill will that she had directed at the logistics man only minutes before. This was an advantage she had to Kelly...she had a logistics man, and Kelly probably handled her own logistics herself.

"Oh, you're their agent!" Mavis nodded. "Do you represent all the artists?"

"He doesn't represent me!" Kelly Patt said quickly, but then thought about the large percentage of her earnings that her current agent took for doing exactly nothing. "... unless you work for 7 per cent?" she frowned enquiringly at Sid. 

"Put the brakes on," Sid advised her.  I don't represent anybody.  If I did, the going rate is 10 percent.  I wouldn't take out the garbage for 7 percent."

"Well, I've got all the paperwork in the office, if you want to get to work on it." Mavis offered Sid.

"I work for Muff," he continued.  "Gettin' Evelyn signed up with Muff and his band is the only reason I'm here.  I offered some professional opinions on what I think might be good radio.  Take it or leave it."  He pointed at Mavis.  Sorry babe.  You're talkin' to the wrong guy."

He turned and searched the room for Muff --- his eyes finding him by  a water cooler.

Without a "so long" or "kiss my ass", Sid walked away from the ladies.

"Hey Boss," he said when he landed beside the bandleader.  "So, do you think this Evelyn dame is good enough to sign up?   If you ask me, I say she's a good gamble.  Problem is, she thinks she's the fuckin' Queen of Sheba."

He popped a cigarette in his mouth and lit it immediately.

Blair Blankenship

?Years Young
67 Posts

"If I'd known that this is the way it'd all turn out, I never would have kissed my father goodbye."

Blair reentered the Studio and stopped to adjust his eyes. 

Mavis, Evelyn and the other lady were milling around and looking unpleasant. 

When he joined them, he smiled and began softly, jokingly, "Every morning, every evening, ain't we got fun?  Not much money, but, oh Honey, still we have fun."

They didn't seem to care.

"Well," he began again.  "How are Miami's most talented ladies doing?  You all look a bit sour."

Loved 1

Sid Gaier

?Years Young
27 Posts

"Hey Boss," he said when he landed beside the bandleader.  "So, do you think this Evelyn dame is good enough to sign up?   If you ask me, I say she's a good gamble.  Problem is, she thinks she's the fuckin' Queen of Sheba."

He popped a cigarette in his mouth and lit it immediately.

But Muff seemed non-plus.

"Tell you what," he said, trying a new tactic.  "Mavis Whatshername is wanting me to sign some papers --- maybe to be an agent.  What do you say to that?  I'm giving you a heads up 'cause we've always stuck together. 

He stomped out his cigarette.

"Truth is, you're even lookin' at Miami's newest minted private eye.  Well, me and that jackass over there."   He pointed toward the insufferable Teddy.   "So if you got someone you want me to tail, I'm your man."

Kelly Patt

Comedienne
?Years Young
3 Posts

"Be nice to people while you're climbing up the ladder of success - you'll be meeting them again pretty soon!"

When he joined them, he smiled and began softly, jokingly, "Every morning, every evening, ain't we got fun?  Not much money, but, oh Honey, still we have fun."

"Wha..." Kelly was still in a bit of a daze about what was transpiring, Jones wanted her and Evelyn Henderson to do a ... debate?! That was the word for it, she guessed. A debate every week? She looked at Blair sort of open mouthed and eventually focussed in on him. 

"Well," he began again.  "How are Miami's most talented ladies doing?  You all look a bit sour."

"Sorry, Blankenship, we're all a little in shock, I think. But say, you're OK: the boss lady here wants you to stay on as Evie's pianist on the show. Gaier's in a huff about it all for some reason." she explained. 

The neat, attractive, coldly efficient, and allegedly charm-proof Mavis Jones glanced over at Blair. 

"Well, Mr. Blankenship, are you interested?" 

Muff had already expressed his complete happiness with the situation, but Jones knew that men were often pretty stiff in their punctilio demonstrations of solidarity with their brethren.

"You and Miss Henderson sounded so great together, I'd really like you on the show." Mavis said matter-of-factly: it was about the nearest she ever got to begging.   

Muff Miller

Bandleader and Trombonist
?Years Young
32 Posts

"And now a little tune called She Sits Between the Cabbages and Peas"

"Hey Boss," he said when he landed beside the bandleader.  "So, do you think this Evelyn dame is good enough to sign up?   If you ask me, I say she's a good gamble.  Problem is, she thinks she's the fuckin' Queen of Sheba."

"Oh, hullo Sid." nodded the trombone playing bandleader. He didn't look exactly unhappy, just... what? ... philosophical? "Evie's a cinch, we'll sign her. Don't worry, we won't have to knock the snootines outta her, the 'ten cents a dance crowd'll" do that."

"Tell you what," he said, trying a new tactic.  "Mavis Whatshername is wanting me to sign some papers --- maybe to be an agent.  What do you say to that?  I'm giving you a heads up 'cause we've always stuck together. 

"Listen, Sid..." Muff frowned through his thick spectacles. "You don't owe me anything. You need to remember that. It's me owes you." he said in heartfelt tones. "If you wanna move into management..." 

"Truth is, you're even lookin' at Miami's newest minted private eye.  Well, me and that jackass over there."   He pointed toward the insufferable Teddy.   "So if you got someone you want me to tail, I'm your man."

"You... what?!" This was astounding news, even for the ever full of surprises Sid. "But Henderson?! What do either of you know about crime, and detection and... all that stuff?!" he gasped, agog.

Blair Blankenship

?Years Young
67 Posts

"If I'd known that this is the way it'd all turn out, I never would have kissed my father goodbye."

"Sorry, Blankenship, we're all a little in shock, I think. But say, you're OK: the boss lady here wants you to stay on as Evie's pianist on the show. Gaier's in a huff about it all for some reason." she explained.

"I don't know Gaier from Adam's Off Ox.  He doesn't speak for me."

Blair said this with a smile.  Even in an irritated state, the scion of old-money New England, never put his heart on his sleeve.

The neat, attractive, coldly efficient, and allegedly charm-proof Mavis Jones glanced over at Blair. 

"Well, Mr. Blankenship, are you interested?" 

"So .. a pianist?" He asked innocently, running his fingers up and down an imaginary set of 88's.  "They want me mostly these days for my crooning set of pipes.  But I play piano, off course.   I want to say "yes" but I have to see if I can keep a schedule .. a regular schedule .. to do the show, and not have it interfere with a gig we're contemplating on a cruise ship... and some other stuff."

Muff had already expressed his complete happiness with the situation, but Jones knew that men were often pretty stiff in their punctilio demonstrations of solidarity with their brethren.

"You and Miss Henderson sounded so great together, I'd really like you on the show." Mavis said matter-of-factly: it was about the nearest she ever got to begging. 

Blair placed his hands together in a praying gesture ... his eyes rolled upward as if seeking divine guidance, and then answered quietly, "Yes."

There, he'd done it.  He recalled his father's advice, "A weak heart never won a fair maiden." 

"Where do we sign?" he asked.

Loved 1

Sid Gaier

?Years Young
27 Posts

"Listen, Sid..." Muff frowned through his thick spectacles. "You don't owe me anything. You need to remember that. It's me owes you." he said in heartfelt tones. "If you wanna move into management..." 

"Well thanks, Boss."  Gee!  That was easy, he thought.

"Truth is, you're even lookin' at Miami's newest minted private eye.  Well, me and that jackass over there."   He pointed toward the insufferable Teddy.   "So if you got someone you want me to tail, I'm your man."

"You... what?!" This was astounding news, even for the ever full of surprises Sid. "But Henderson?! What do either of you know about crime, and detection and... all that stuff?!" he gasped, agog.

Well seein' as how the police in this town are about as good as those ... oh yeah .. those Keystone Cops, we don't have much competition.  We've been deputized and got our licenses and even a license to pack heat."   His thumbs slid under his suspenders and he waggled his fingers like some kind of big shot.

"So if you ever need some detective stuff done, I'll do it for free.. for you."  His smile was gracious.  "But don't worry.  I'm still your logistics guy."

Loved 1

Muff Miller

Bandleader and Trombonist
?Years Young
32 Posts

"And now a little tune called She Sits Between the Cabbages and Peas"

[OOC I'll wait to see if Evie has anything to say before replying to Blair]"

Well seein' as how the police in this town are about as good as those ... oh yeah .. those Keystone Cops, we don't have much competition. We've been deputized and got our licenses and even a license to pack heat."  His thumbs slid under his suspenders and he waggled his fingers like some kind of big shot.

The thought of Sid wandering around with a loaded gun made Muff wince, but he hid it skilfully. "Careful with those!" he warned, looking at the strain that the older man was putting on his braces. "You don't want them to snap, not with ladies present!" he chuckled. 

"Detective Gaier, huh." the trombonist shook his head, still trying to take it in. 

"So if you ever need some detective stuff done, I'll do it for free.. for you."  His smile was gracious.  "But don't worry.  I'm still your logistics guy."

"Free Detective stuff, huh?" Muff wondered out loud "Gee, if only I had a cat that'd go missing, or a wife I suspected of cheating on me,... seems a pity to miss out on an offer like that, just cause I ain't got a mystery to solve."

Then he had an idea.

"Say Sid, why don't you try tracking down the feller that shot Little Orphan Janey's Mother, there's a big reward for that, you know?" Muff was full of original ideas.