A Few Facts

Started by Maude Tillery at Feb 24, 2021 6:50 PM
January 0, 1924
85 Posts

Sarah Simmons (née Tillery)

?Years Young
55 Posts

How can I live without you, how forgo thy sweet converse and love so dearly joined, to live again in these wild woods forlorn?

Milton, Paradise Lost

"How about this?  You can tell her how you might do something, and then ask her if that's how it's done here?  That way she isn't specifically be telling you what to do, she'll just be showing you how she does it." That would make things much easier, and Maude was pretty certain that Sarah and Mildred would at least get along, if not be good friends, after all, Mildred was educated and had a wide variety of interests, so she and Sarah were likely to have something in common.

“Sure!” agreed Sarah with a shrug that indicated that she wasn’t too bothered about it, but that Mildred might be. She’d learned that, since moving south (and this was almost as far south as a body could get and still be in the Grand Old Republic): that sometimes the most oppressed people were also the most conservative about maintaining the status quo. That, she put down to fear of the consequences of trying to change that situation.

She did the breakfast pots and was soon heading over to the medical... well, block was too utilitarian a word. That was more like the asylum. A better phrase might be ‘The medical wing of the mansion’! As she walked out into the bright Florida morning sunshine and drank in the heady scent of the mimosa bushes she remembered their arrival here last night and the fact that this time yesterday she had been asleep in bed in an insane asylum. Crazy. Literally.

She found her way to the reception desk which wasn’t hard as it was placed exactly where it should be – by the entry! Again, a wave of odd nostalgia for the asylum hit her. Did she miss it? There was a sophisticated looking woman of colour there: Sarah walked briskly over and with a smile and a slight tip of the head held out a hand introduced herself “Hello, I’m Sarah, you must be Mildred. Maudie said I might be able to help you out a little this morning, make myself useful.”

She didn’t know why, maybe she’d mentally put herself in Mildred’s shoes and realised that the woman might think that her job was in danger, so she then hastily added “I’m going into town tomorrow and see if I can get a job as a taxi driver, or something!”

That had been empathy! So much for Dr. Janos’ theory that she was a sociopath! Or was that ‘high functioning sociopath’?

Mildred Carpenter

Receptionist
?Years Young
8 Posts

While she hadn't been given a lot of details -- she wasn't really sure that she wanted to know much more than she did -- Mildred was expecting Sarah to show up, and when Maude's sister came in, she stood to greet her, smiling brightly.

"Good morning!  How good to meet you!"  There was a chair already set out for Sarah, and she gestured to it.  "Dr. Tillery says you can type?  Can you do shorthand as well?  With two doctors, sometimes it can be overwhelming to keep up with the reports.  And I'm grateful for help out here, too."  She smiled.  "Sometimes the patients, or their children, can be challenging!"

?Years Young
55 Posts

How can I live without you, how forgo thy sweet converse and love so dearly joined, to live again in these wild woods forlorn?

Milton, Paradise Lost

Sarah walked briskly over and with a smile and a slight tip of the head held out a hand introduced herself “Hello, I’m Sarah, you must be Mildred. Maudie said I might be able to help you out a little this morning, make myself useful.”

"Good morning!  How good to meet you!"  There was a chair already set out for Sarah, and she gestured to it.  "Dr. Tillery says you can type?  Can you do shorthand as well?  With two doctors, sometimes it can be overwhelming to keep up with the reports.  And I'm grateful for help out here, too."  She smiled.  "Sometimes the patients, or their children, can be challenging!"

“Pitman, 180 words per minute. 70 on the typewriter.” Sarah boasted, holding up her awesome hands like they were those of a surgeon, but there was an irony about her voice and look which indicated that she wasn’t taking herself too seriously. “Well, that was 1920, after that I got married and got rusty.” She explained.

She had liked being a stenographer; she was good at it. As a wife she had been so-so, as a mother for her husband’s children, she had been a disaster. Three in a row. Three in a row she had lost. And it had been too much, for both of them. Could she go back? Back to 1920? She focused away from her own trouble and back to Mildred.

“Sounds like a lot to do, and then you have to … well, did I hear what Maude told me right? You’re studying law? Is that, what, at night school?” she asked, genuinely curious.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Pittman, wonderful!"  Mildred smiled and nodded.  "I use Gregg, but I can read some of Pittman."  Not that it mattered much, Sarah would be translating her own notes for the patients' records.  "Sounds like you have some good experience, even if you are a little rusty, the skills will come back quickly enough."

Exercises such as typing, and even shorthand, were mostly 'muscle memory', like playing an instrument, and came back after a bit of use.

"Yes, I'm taking some night classes, and I have class during the day on Wednesday, so Drs. Steele and Tillerly allow me that time off."  She was quite proud of her accomplishment just to get into law school, and she wasn't going to waste the opportunity.

"Dr. Tillery is so understanding, since she went through something similar."  Mildred wasn't ignorant, though, she knew she was fighting an uphill battle.

Loved 1

?Years Young
55 Posts

Milton, Paradise Lost

"Pittman, wonderful!"  Mildred smiled and nodded.  "I use Gregg, but I can read some of Pittman."  Not that it mattered much, Sarah would be translating her own notes for the patients' records.  

“Oh, I should have learned Gregg, it’s much quicker, but you know, Pitman was just what they taught us at school.” Sarah shrugged.

"Sounds like you have some good experience, even if you are a little rusty, the skills will come back quickly enough."

“Well, if it’s for making notes on patients it should be alright. When I was a stenographer, you would have some departmental manager rattling off a letter at you at high speed and were expected to get it all down and correct his grammar at the same time.” She remembered. “Oh, and the look they’d give you if you asked them to repeat anything!”

Sarah then asked Mildred about her burgeoning legal studies.

"Yes, I'm taking some night classes, and I have class during the day on Wednesday, so Drs. Steele and Tillerly allow me that time off."  She was quite proud of her accomplishment just to get into law school, and she wasn't going to waste the opportunity.

“That’s good of them” nodded Sarah: wondering who filled in when Mlidred was not there.

"Dr. Tillery is so understanding, since she went through something similar."  Mildred wasn't ignorant, though, she knew she was fighting an uphill battle.

The other woman nodded. “Yes, being the first woman student at that medical school wasn't easy for her and, frankly, our parents weren’t particularly helpful.” She revealed. “But on the other hand, she wasn’t black. That must make things doubly difficult for you.”

One thing that you could say about the younger Tillery sister: with her around, there were never any ‘elephants in the room’!

Mildred Carpenter

Receptionist
?Years Young
8 Posts

"I try not to let it distract me, but you're right, sometimes it can be frustrating, people can be mean and stupid."  Mildred answered frankly, finding it refreshing that Sarah just spoke her mind without trying to be sensitive, nor was she condescending, and Mildred appreciated that.

"And there is fulfillment in passing my exams and showing them I can do the work!"  She looked over at Sarah, knowing that, just the day before, there had been a great deal of fuss surrounding her, but not sure exactly what it had been about...and she knew better than to ask, so instead, she just commented, "I'm glad that you are all right, and your sister, too, I was a little worried after the way she ran out of here last night.  She's pretty determined when she sets her mind on something."

?Years Young
55 Posts

Milton, Paradise Lost

"I try not to let it distract me, but you're right, sometimes it can be frustrating, people can be mean and stupid."  Mildred answered frankly, finding it refreshing that Sarah just spoke her mind without trying to be sensitive, nor was she condescending, and Mildred appreciated that.

Sarah nodded her comprehension: was it better to have your ‘problem’ on the outside, always honestly visiable, as Mildred’s colour must be to acceptable society, especially in these climes; or hidden away on the inside, as she bore her history of insanity; waiting always to be surprised and revealed.

"And there is fulfillment in passing my exams and showing them I can do the work!"  She looked over at Sarah, knowing that, just the day before, there had been a great deal of fuss surrounding her, but not sure exactly what it had been about...and she knew better than to ask, so instead, she just commented

Again, Sarah nodded her agreement with a smile.

“I’m not clever enough for exams, but I hope I can get a job as a driver and show I’m … independent. I can be trusted with other people’s safety, as well as my own.”

"I'm glad that you are all right, and your sister, too, I was a little worried after the way she ran out of here last night.  She's pretty determined when she sets her mind on something."

“I was in an insane asylum until yesterday, believe it or not, but yes, I am all right. I’m alright!” Sarah blurted out, her black was on the outside now, just like Mildred’s. 

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Oh, is that what that was about?"  Still, Mildred couldn't imagine what had Dr. Tillery so spooked last night, and she'd likely never know...it wasn't any of her business, and she knew better than to ask.  But Maude and Sarah were both safely here, and that was what counted. 

"Well, I'm glad that you're all right now, and I'm happy to have you helping here...'misery loves company', isn't that how the saying goes?"  She laughed, then shrugged.  "There's much worse than working for these two, so I'm not really complaining.  In fact, I'm so grateful that they are so understanding and supportive.  Do you plan on staying, or is this just until you find something more suitable?"

Not that this was a bad job, nor that Mildred felt threatened, but she was just curious if Sarah had other interests or talents.

Loved 1

?Years Young
55 Posts

Milton, Paradise Lost

"Oh, is that what that was about?"  Still, Mildred couldn't imagine what had Dr. Tillery so spooked last night, and she'd likely never know...it wasn't any of her business, and she knew better than to ask.  But Maude and Sarah were both safely here, and that was what counted.

“There was an accident on the way home.” Sarah said truthfully “My doctor was driving us and he died in the crash. That’s why we were all a little shook up. Well, I wasn’t as bad as Maude, I think.”

"Well, I'm glad that you're all right now, and I'm happy to have you helping here...'misery loves company', isn't that how the saying goes?"  She laughed, then shrugged. 

“Well, I hope that my sister doesn’t keep you too miserable here!” the frail looking Brunette woman laughed in a friendly manner.

"There's much worse than working for these two, so I'm not really complaining.  In fact, I'm so grateful that they are so understanding and supportive.  Do you plan on staying, or is this just until you find something more suitable?"

“Uh uh, this is strictly temporary. Do you have any sisters, Mildred? Because believe me, me and Maudy, we’ll be fine for the next couple of days, but after a week…” she shook her head “… we’d be driving each other up the wall. They’ll be shipping us both back to Pembroke Pines!” she joked grimly.

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

Mildred laughed at that, nodding.  "Yes, yes, you're right!  I have four sisters..I'm in the middle, and I could live with my youngest, but the others...goodness, Esther and I wouldn't even dream of living together!  Oh, don't get me wrong, we love each other, but we're complete opposites, just a few hours alone, and sparks fly!"

She sighed and shook her head.  "I'd be grateful to see any of them, truth be told, they're at home in Decatur, I had to come here for school, and I miss them all so much."  It was one of the prices she had to pay to get her education, but she knew she wasn't the only person to ever have to leave home for an education, and in the end it would be worth it.

"Work and studies keep me busy, though, and there will be a holiday coming up in a few months, though, and in the mean time, Dr. Steele lets me call home on Friday evenings for a few minutes."

Loved 1