Fact Finding

Started by Maude Tillery at Nov 07, 2020 10:32 PM
January 0, 1924
197 Posts

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

It had been a very busy couple of days since the fiasco at Pembrook Pines, and although Maude had had some opportunities to check into accommodations for Sarah, she hadn't had a chance to sit down with Greyson and go over everything they had found.

But now, it was Friday, the last of the patients for the week had gone, and it was still early in the afternoon.  As she sorted her paperwork, she glanced at Greyson and asked, "Have you heard anything on Dr. Janos?"  It was time to start putting the pieces together.

Liked 1

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

"Mum's the word, goes both ways."

“Steve was a help, but really had nothing on the man, just his own suspicions. But I will be trying to reach a man that might have knowledge, or where one might get it, plus, the reporter fellow, Callahan. Yes, a Snub Callahan is his name."

"Also, Detective Baxter told me there were some bodies found near the asylum, a nurse, and a former patient, so there is some serious suspicion on the fellow. We should invite Callahan ‘round for a chat.”

Liked 1

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

When life follows the course of our desires, it is easy to be swept along without thought.
Elizabeth Blackwell

"Bodies?"  This was news to Maude, and it made her heart skip as she looked over at him, alarmed.  "I hadn't heard of that."  It made getting Sarah out of there all the more urgent, but at least she had some ideas on that.

"Was there any information on who the victims are or the cause of death?"  She couldn't help but wonder if she'd known the unfortunates, and she had a dozen other questions that she summarized in one.  "How much as this reporter told you?  I'd like to talk to him as soon as possible."

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

"Bodies?"  This was news to Maude, and it made her heart skip as she looked over at him, alarmed.  "I hadn't heard of that."  It made getting Sarah out of there all the more urgent, but at least she had some ideas on that.

“Yes, two, as I said. A male and a female. Lieutenant Baxter hinted that there were probably others, but the swamp and its creatures may have taken them.” Greyson explained. "He has had difficulty obtaining cooperation from the other county in this matter. So, other missing persons that might be associated with the asylum are to date unknown."

"Was there any information on who the victims are or the cause of death?"  She couldn't help but wonder if she'd known the unfortunates, and she had a dozen other questions that she summarized in one.  "How much as this reporter told you?  I'd like to talk to him as soon as possible."

“I was allowed to view the file they have on the ‘Kosher Killer,’ as they call him. The woman, a former nurse at the asylum was a Margo Raymond, however, she is said to have left employment before her demise. Now, the former patient, a Clyde Olster, seemingly discharged before his end was met. In both of these cases, the bodies were drained of blood.” Greyson paused in his account of what was in the file.

“The photos were quite gruesome to be sure, but there was no telling how long either had been out there. Now as to this Callahan chap, I have yet to speak with him, but perhaps a phone call would entice him to come by, as I suggested.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

Drained of blood?  What would explain that? "Do you think they might have been drained..?"  She shook her head, both at the gruesome thought, and her absurd theory, almost as silly as Vampires.  "When do you think we can call him?  I'd like to know more, how urgent it is to take Sarah out of there...I've a mind to just collect her tomorrow and.."

Well, take her home for a couple days until definitive arrangements could be made, likely in a couple days. 

"I just want her safe and well..."  How could such well-meaning turn so sour?

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

"I just want her safe and well..."  How could such well-meaning turn so sour?

“According to the reports that I read, courtesy of Detective Baxter, there were no traces of blood at the scene for either of the victims. The bodies had been dumped at the scene where they were found obviously, and some distance from the asylum grounds, so it does make the connection to the place a bit difficult.” Greyson explained. “ But, as I deduced from what I read, the spots where the bodies were found were close together by perhaps a half-mile or less. And yes, I believe that the blood was drained and at the location where they were murdered.” He paused.

“Yes, yes. By all means, we need to have your sister away from there before this fiend does any more damage to her, and believe me, I suspect that she is far better than whatever medication he has been giving to her reveals.” He sighed. “It is too late today to effect her release, it’s near dark and I seriously doubt that now would be the optimum time to attempt this.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

His answers only dredged up more questions, and Maude realized that if she was ever going to find out more, she was going to have to talk to the reporter, in the very least, but more preferably the detective who was on the case.  Of course, there was no reason in the world, and as long as Sarah was safe, the details weren't really any concern of hers, outside of intense curiosity.

"I don't think we'll be able to do anything about moving Sarah until Monday, they don't handle anything but emergencies on weekends.  I'll go visit her tomorrow, I promised to bring Hammy by anyway.  It'll be good to talk to her, maybe let her know what my plans are for her."

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

"I don't think we'll be able to do anything about moving Sarah until Monday, they don't handle anything but emergencies on weekends.  I'll go visit her tomorrow, I promised to bring Hammy by anyway.  It'll be good to talk to her, maybe let her know what my plans are for her."

“You take a gun with you, stay in the lobby, and make him bring the girl.”

The words flooded back to Greyson as she finished her sentence. “Look, I did speak with one of my former patients, Maude. You know, the special kind we see on occasion. Well, I don’t mean to disturb you any further about this, but he warned me about ever going past the lobby again, especially when we go to get Sarah. He told me to make the Doctor bring Sarah to us.”

“I know this is difficult, this horrific tale of blood draining, but I have new information. Sarah, it seems, has you. Unlike the ones the authorities found, she has relatives who would be concerned if she went missing and draw too much attention to Janos. I don’t mean to frighten you, but my contact advised me he could supply, well, muscle, as he put it.”

“I say we put in a call to this Callahan fellow immediately. I’d wager he’s easily reached.”

Maude Tillery

Doctor
?Years Young
245 Posts

Elizabeth Blackwell

"A gun..?"  Indeed, Maude was quite alarmed, and she wanted to run to the place right now and get Sarah out, but she knew she couldn't.  And, sadly, she knew Greyson was right.  Sarah had her as an advocate, and even had Maude not been a doctor, just having someone checking on a patient was enough to keep them safe.  But that didn't alleviate any worries!

"Yes, please, call him."  At least it was something to do, and worth a try, not that she had any delusions that more specific information would put her more at ease.  "Thank you, Greyson, for helping me with this."

Dr. Greyson Steele

MD, Surgeon
?Years Young
211 Posts

“That is what my contact said, to take a gun, which by the way I happen to have. And he was quite serious, I assure you. Honestly, there’s no need to thank me, Maude, it’s the least I could do.” Greyson strode to the telephone, leafed through the director until he located the Miami Daily News and Reporter, he dialed the number and waited through the rings until a pleasant female voice greeted him.

“Hello, Miami Daily News and Reporter, how may direct your call?”

“I’m trying to reach a Snub Callahan.”

“One-moment, ple-as.”

He looked to Maude, “Holding, not to worry my dear. We’ll get this all sorted out. I doubt my contact exaggerated, but we’ll see.”

Liked 1