Code of Conduct
Our Code of Conduct comes with a zero tolerance policy.
- Treat all members kindly and with respect.
- Harassing or bullying other members will get you immediately banned.
- Handle all disagreements in a calm and mature manner in private! Do not bring disputes into the public Discord channels or onto the RPG forums.
- Playbys, even original artwork, under the age of 18 are permitted but prohibited from participating in any threads of a sexual nature.
- No Bad Roleplay. If you don’t know what it is, read the definitions at the link provided.
Mature Content Policy
The Smuggler's Blues RPG is rated 222 (18+) for occasional mature content and you must be at least eighteen years old to join the site. However, it is preferred that the majority of writing be safe for all audiences (PG-13).
To view mature content on our site, you must…
- Be a registered member.
- Have your birthdate in your profile (this can be set to private).
- Enable Mature Content in your profile settings.
- Directions can be found XXX.
When writing content that contains graphic violence, sexually explicit language, or is a sexually explicit scene, you must…
- Have your birthdate listed in your profile (Only Admin will be able to see it).
- Have Mature Content enabled in your profile settings.
- Mark the posts as Mature by clicking the toggle at the bottom of the editor window.
Although Smuggler's Blues is rated 18+, there are some things we just don’t want on the site. The prohibited content list is below. Very vague inferences are acceptable, nothing more will be allowed.
- Graphic Underage Sex: Do not write sexually explicit scenes with characters or NPCs that are under the age of eighteen (18).
- Rape, Sexual Violence: Do not write graphic scenes portraying rape and other violent sex acts.
- Violence Against Children: Again, we realize these things happen in real life. However, we do not need to read about it in the roleplay.
- Read the site's lore. Keep the era's social values and attitudes in mind when deciding on a character to play.
- Create and fill our your character’s profile on the site. Do not click ready for play until the profile is finished. You can PM Admin or drop a message in Discord if you have questions.
- When your profile is complete, click ready for play, save it and start writing. If you want Admin to look over your character sheet before you start playing, just ask.
Oversight: You do not have to wait for a review and approval to start playing your character. However, should we find that your character breaks the lore based on the site's setting and time-period, you will be asked to make revisions. We know that reading a site’s lore can be tedious, but if you don’t, you might have to correct your character’s profile, and maybe even your IC posts.
Limited Consent attempts to strike an even balance between consent and consequence. Certain negative consequences can be enforced without roleplayer agreement. Character death, physical damage, and other severe consequences still require roleplayer agreement. However if the roleplayer is absent without notice and has not responded to admin’s attempts to contact them, their characters can be written out in whatever manner the staff sees fit.
Smugglers welcomes in-character drama in all of our plots. We prefer seeing a balance of action, drama, humor, romance, and contention. We strongly recommend OOC discussions when planning major character drama. The following guidelines are to keep the players and admin staff on the same page.
You may not kill anyone else’s character without permission from the roleplayer. If the roleplayer has left the game without notice, contact admin. They will do what is needed with the character(s).
Please discuss character contention with the other roleplayer(s) involved and notify Admin also. You do not have to provide details, just let everyone know that the contention has been planned. We ask this so that no one mistakes in-character contention for behind-the-posts roleplayer contention.
Actions and Consequences
If your character is seriously wounded on Tuesday, he or she will not be engaging in battle on Wednesday. This goes for almost all in-character overt actions and words.
Other roleplayers are not required to have their characters react as you think they should.
Requirements? We don’t need no stinkin’ requirements! Just kidding. To keep game play fair and the plots flowing, we do have a few requirements.
Smugglers will not perform mandatory activity checks. However, if a roleplayer makes zero effort to post or engage in the RPG and does not have an official LOA/ELOA posted, their accounts will be moved to Inactive after 30 days. After 90 days, it will be assumed that they are not returning. All incomplete posts/threads will be archived. Their characters will be written out of all plots and stories.
There are no character limits. Each player may have as many characters as they want or can manage. However, we do suggest that you get your first character approved and into play before creating more.
Joint posting is a type of posting where users can edit one another’s posts in joint-post enabled forums to add tag replies. This facilitates direct interaction between characters and reduces the number of very short posts that we have on the site. For more information, read the Joint-Posting section of our Vesta User’s Guide.
- Do not change the content of a JP (joint-post) without the express permission of your writing partner(s), not even to correct a typo.
- Joint-Posts become very long, very quickly. You need to break joint-posts (JPs) into segments of 800 – 1,000 words each. Try to make sure each writer in the thread gets to start a new reply so that all characters are showing activity levels on the site.
- Posts that are being edited will be locked until the user has finished and saved it. This prevents users from overwriting one another’s post.
Currently, since Smugglers offers the ability to easily write joint-posts, there is not a mandatory word count. Minimum post allowed is one sentence. However, since our forums are joint-post enabled, it is preferred that our members consider using this method to avoid a large number of one-line posts. In general, all we ask is that a post reply, no matter its length, moves the plot forward and allows the other writer(s) room for a decent response.
Smuggler's Blues encourages fellow RPG and RPG resource sites to affiliate with us. It is easy. Below are the rules.
- Click on Affiliate in the main menu.
- You must take our buttons and post it before we will approve yours.
- Fill out the form and upload your PG-13 88×31 button (Smugglers will host your button).