1886 - 1905
Born to George and Molly Richards (only child) in Miami, Florida. He grows up in a middle class neighbourhood and graduates from high school in 1905.
1905 - 1909
Attends the University of the State of Florida and studies business. During this time he has an affair with Evelyn Henderson (Whaley) - someone he was never really serious about. Towards the end of his last year in college he meets Patricia Lawson, the daughter of a local manufacturer, David Lawson. They get married in August 1909 and Eric goes to work at her father's factory as a junior office worker.
1910 - 1912
Makes his way steadily up the ladder at the Lawson's company until he attains the position of Vice President. His parents die within months of each other in 1911, leaving him a small inheritance. He uses this along with information about Lawson's past dalliances and vices, to make a move and becomes company president.
His daughter, Madeleine Louise is born on 30 January 1911.
1913 - 1917
In early 1913, he takes over Lawson's company. Lawson signs all assets over to him under duress and eventually dies a broken man in 1915.
Eric uses his business to help build up his portfolio and creates his own company Endeavour Enterprises. The company continues to grow during this time through shrewd investments and his ability to use leverage when needed.
During this time, he decides to tell Patricia that the only reason he married was to get his hand on her father's company as it was easy pickings due to her father's vices. He lets Patricia stay only because of their daughter. It is at this time that Patricia starts drinking.
1917 - 1918
Registers for the draft but he gets a deferment from the U.S. Army due to his factories (by now he owns 4 of them) being important to the war effort, as well as having a family to support. He joins the American Protective League (supplying information on possible enemies of the war effort).
1919 - Present
After the war, Eric goes back to growing his company. By this time, his wife Patricia has become an alcoholic and spends most of her time attending parties. Eric eventually tires of her and sends her packing with a small allowance. She demands a divorce but Eric won't give it to her which sends her further down the path of self-destruction. In early 1922, she is killed in a car accident with her lover.
Shortly after Patricia leaves, Eric invites his spinster aunt, Elizabeth Benton (his mother's sister) to come live with him to take help take care of Madeleine.
Strengths and Weakness (depending on the situation)
- Strategic thinker
- Stubborn and dominant
- Cold and ruthless (especially in business)
Eric can be charming and very likeable with people he socialises with. The only people he genuinely cares for his daughter and aunt.
- His most powerful weapon in his business dealings is leverage. When he targets a business he wants, he thoroughly investigates the people who own it to find their weaknesses and uses it against them. He is ruthless enough to use anything but stops short of murder - it is a line he refuses to cross.
- He also uses leverage to target people who have crossed him or his family, especially those who intend to seek to destroy him or hurt his family.
- In his romantic relationships with women, he can be very charming and attentive. There have been only one or two women he has genuinely cared about (e.g. Victoria Hayes) and others who are pleasurable diversions that he is never serious about (e.g. Evelyn Whaley). For the woman he cares about he is open about his personal life and will invite her home to met his family. For the others, his personal life is off limits (he will rarely talk about it) and he keeps the affair hidden from his family (i.e. he never brings her to his house).
- Part owner of WIOD radio station.
AUNT: Elizabeth Benton
DAUGHTER: Madeleine Richards
WIFE: Patricia Lawson Richards (deceased)
FORMER GIRLFRIENDS/LOVERS: Victoria Hayes
CURRENT LOVER: Evelyn Whaley